“Utterly Abysmal - Total waste of time and money” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Utterly Abysmal - Total waste of time and money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

I attended the restaurant with my family to celebrate Chinese New Year and putting it mildly, service was shockingly bad. Our table was booked for 7pm and our main was not served until some two and a half hours later! People on nearby tables had actually gotten up and left before even eating the main course, it was just so dire.

The waiter had asked my husband if we'd like a little break after our duck course to which he responded No as we were dining with 2 young children. One hour and twenty minutes later they brought out mains (this was us not wanting a break). By the time the food eventually arrived the kids were sat exhausted with their heads on the table. There is no excuse for such terrible service, if they couldn't manage the bookings they had, they should have closed the restaurant. There was a lot if very upset people who'd had their New Year celebrations ruined.

So unhappy was I, I refused.to pay the full bill and insisted they call the police as I would not pay more than 50%. In hindsight, that was even too generous an offer as virtually the entire main was not eaten. (You actually go past the point of wanting to eat). This is the first time I've ever taken such a stance and I eat out regularly, at least once a week.

I am so cross with this restaurants and shall never return. What a complete waste of my time - terrible. I am today having to deal with two very over tired children. Looking forward to hearing from the owner when and if he actually has the decency to get in touch.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

57% Recommend
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“A dreadful Chinese New Year”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I have frequented this restaurant for over 20 years and could not fault the food nor the service. However tonight, Chinese New Year, was a total disaster due only to the poorest service I have ever encountered in any restaurant.
I was in a party of 13 for a birthday celebration and also to enjoy Chinese New Year. Our starter was served relatively quickly, it was hot and tasty. This is where the evening fell apart. We were in the restaurant at 7 pm and at 9.20 p.m. we were served our main course, only after 4 of the party left after a wait of over an hour for the main course. A party of very hungry peole can amuse themselves for a certain length of time and being typically British we waited and waited before enquiring as to the hold up. Only 2 staff were serving on a busy evening where a special Chinese New Year menu was also served as well as the usual menu.. The 2 staff could not cope, neither could the kitchen and who was to blame? The owner, and where was he? In Hong Kong of course, enjoying his New Year and no doubt getting the best of service. I was quite surprised that whome I thought was a young waiter was actually the manager, totally lacking in experience and unable to cope with what became a mutiny. When told the reputation of the restaurant after this evening would never be the same, he didn't care as he was not the owner. Totally unacceptable. Sadly it ruined the night not only for us,but for another party of 4 and no doubt made it very uncomfortable for the other diners.
A mumbled apology and an offer of a 10% deduction was pitiful in recompense for a ruined evening. I personally will never set foot in this restaurant again. Such a shame as I don't rate any of the other Chinese restaurants in Scarborough on a par as to the Hong Kong's previous reputation.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
“Goes from Strengh to Strength”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I first used this restaurant over 30 years ago and it is better now than ever. The quality of the food is outstanding, lots of it and excellent service as well. The staff are very friendly and can't do enough for you.

Always advisable to book if you want to go on a Saturday night.

Visited February 2013
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Lovely restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Lovely food and great service. We chose the set meal for 2 at £32.00 which was delicious and very filling.

Visited January 2013
Birmingham
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Read reviews on Trip Advisor so went to this restaurant.

Very disappointed. Food was bland, small portions, coke (without ice) was luke warm and bottled (not stored in a fridge).

Went and had chips by the beach in South Bay afterwards

Won't be going back