“Great Restaurant” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
London
“Great Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Turned up here with 8 adults, 3 kids, 3 toddlers and no booking at 7.30 on a Sunday evening, having been let down by our planned restaurant. The staff were brilliant, really accommodating, and the food was excellent (pizza generally better than the pasta, though).

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A Gem!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

We visited Gianni's on Sat 24th May. It was bustling with atmosphere when we arrived (late for our booking but that was no problem). Staff are wonderful - friendly and helpful. Francesca & Seamus are very charming indeed! Gianni & Jeanette are wonderful, professional hosts. Food was excellent! We had a truly wonderful evening - in fact our only struggle was leaving the place!!! We will definitely be back when we next visit!! Grazie a tutti!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“An " Italian Restaurant"?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

I think James T hit the nail on the head. This is an expensive "Italian"? Not to get into the nitty gritty of quality which is subjective BUT when you are served with a completely tasteless Parmesan and you question what the cheese is and the answer from the waiter " it comes ready ground in a bag" unbelievable.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Merseyside
“An excellent Italian restaurant in the centre of Scarborough. ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

We went here while staying nearby. It was very busy so we were lucky to get a table. The Italian owner was very pleasant. The food was excellent and the pizzas good. My wife was disappointed that it didn't offer risotto. It was pleasantly decorated and pretty good value. I am not sure I would want to park in this area but we were walking. There are tables upstairs and downstairs. We would recommend it judging by other choices in the immediate vicinity.

“Charged £12 to eat our own cake.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have no idea where to start with this place...at the beginning I guess

Prior to even sitting down to eat at the restaurant on the evening we should have known not to go as my partner went in a few days before to pay for us all, 12 of us, to have a glass of Prosecco on arrival and that was a farce...they didn't really want to do it...why ? No idea but she finally got to pay and organise it..at the time she also asked where we'd be sitting and they said they couldn't tell her..well a party of 12 can only go in a few places I reckon but my partner explained that one of our party really struggled with stairs as she has Angina and needed to be downstairs. They didn't seem bothered and wouldn't commit to a downstairs table. Anyway.

On our arrival on the evening to celebrate a family members 60th birthday we were asked not to put party poppers on the table ! So we did as we were told.

Whist everyone was getting a drink as they turned up ( I paid just under £12 for 2 glasses of Pinot Grigot and a half pint of coke ! ), i popped my head in the kitchen and asked Gianni if we could have a cake we'd made brought to the table with sparklers we gave them on and he said yes, he then said "but if you want to eat it there will be a small charge", I said "what do you call a small charge?", and he said "£2 to £5" and I said ok so I accepted that.

During the meal the waiting staff who hardly smiled in fact as the waiter took our order on his ipad there was no eye contact; no jovial banter; no real customer interaction as he was clearly finding the task demanded his full attention. It was like trying to have a conversation with a teenager whilst they were Face-booking your conversation to their pals ! We'd asked for separate bills to be produced for the table but Gianni told me that the kitchen wouldn't be able to do that, they needed only one check ! why they couldn't do it could not be explained.

The starters were delicious I have to say - tomato, garlic breads; lovely and soft and dripping with garlic butter; pre-cut and easy to eat. I enjoyed it as did everyone.

Then prior to the main course the waiter came round and asked who was having pizza - these people in our party, myself included, were given steak knives ! Anyway you accept what waiting staff do assuming they know best and thank goodness they did at this place, they knew what was coming...Our Meat feast pizza's looked lovely, larger than the plate, falling over the edge - however it soon became clear that the reason we were given steak knifes is that these pizza's that were not pre-cut just a big disc on a plate were hard work, you know when you were taking exams or writing a 100 lines after being naughty and your pen wore a painful groove in your finger ! well all four of us had that mark, that pain and all of us left about a quarter or more of our pizza cos to be honest it was no fun, i'm no longer a hunter gatherer, i'm 47 years old, and like to sit and enjoy my food and not have to chase it around until I catch the flipping thing or saw it until I get through it...and weirdly it was a thin crust ! I cannot explain it. And it wasn't that tasty.

No one really paid attention to us from the service team and we had to get up to get our own drinks from the bar..no one offered to get us any..in fact unless they had to bring food or collect plates they kept away from us? . Anyway cake time and after asking for a third time they brought it through with some piped music singing happy birthday but they weren't jolly with it...perhaps I am being harsh, perhaps they'd all been given some bad new prior to service and were still in shock, their minds elsewhere....surely this wasn't them enjoying work and giving customers an dining experience to want to return to !

Those sat at the far end of the table get offered dessert and coffee and as they'd declined none of the rest of us were approached.

I decided that i'd go pay the bill..I went to the desk, asked for the bill and paid it.I declined the card machine asking me to pay gratuities as I felt the appauling lack of attention and poor service didn't warrant it.

We left and went home. When I got home I looked at the bill..they'd charged me £12 for extra food. What was that?

The following day I called the restaurant and this is pretty much how the conversation went.

ME: Hello, you may remember me, I was one of the party of 12 from your restaurant last night with the birthday party and I wanted to queery the bill.
GIANNI; Yes I thought you might ring
ME: Really! Well I have a £12 charge on my bill is that for the cake ?
GIANNI; yes
ME; when i gave the cake to you, you said you were happy to bring it to the table but if we wanted to eat it there'd be a small charge and do you remember I said how much and you said £2-£5 and pfff I agreed. So how come you have charged me £12
GIANNI; it clearly states on the menu that it a £1 charge per person.
ME; so why did you say £2-£5, if i'd known it was £12 i wouldn't have agreed. and anyway of that's on the menu why didn't you know that ?
GIANNI; well you got your revenge anyway you didn't leave a tip and there was no money on the table
ME: as far as I am aware tips are discretionary and based on good customer service. Which we didn't get.
GIANNI; ok

End of telephone conversation..

The last point I have to make is that after I paid the bill, I went upstairs to the toilet. When I walked back down the stairs I looked to my left at the bar to see Gianni with two wine bottles on the bar with a funnel in pouring wine from another bottle into them...so has i paid for Pinot Grigot and being served something else? Was it left overs going to the kitchen for cooking or have I missed something. Whatever was happening looked so suspicious, so wrong, had I been conned.

This is not revenge as Gianni feels; this is an honest account of the worst piece of customer service I have ever seen. And as an owner operator he needs to look closely at what customers want and how he can facilitate this, that customer service training and a happy team is his number one business priority as is quality of food and if he expected my call he knew he had failed in some way to offer us the experience we were looking for and that must tell him something.

For what could be a little gem it is a real disappointment.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere