“Worst stay we have ever had” 2 of 5 stars

You added Ivanhoe Hotel to your Saves list
Ivanhoe Hotel
Burniston Road, Scarborough YO12 6QX, England   |
Offers & Announcements
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #105 of 182 Scarborough B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Worst stay we have ever had”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel through a Groupon offer and would never ever go there again! Although a cheap deal, we would have expected better service that we had. The room was very compact, to say the least. In the en-suite shower room there were no door hooks or shelves for toiletries, either near the basin or in the shower. And don't get me started on the shower! The water pressure was pathetic and having turned it on, could not reduce the temperature and nearly scalded myself. My husband went down to find a staff member and was told they were aware and just to give the temperature handle 'a good yank'!! We did eventually reduce the temperature slightly but was just glad to be able to get showered.
So - down to breakfast. There was nothing laid out, as one would expect. We sat down at one table, and were quickly told to move to another one. Then, did we want the full english or toast & cereal? Everywhere else we have stayed you are able to make your own choice to include both cereal and cooked breakfast. No - this was either/or. We elected for cereal/toast and when I asked for brown bread, was told 'no brown - we only have white'. I also asked if there was any orange juice. I was told they didn't supply it unless I paid 50p for a glass! I always thought that orange juice was a staple part of most breakfasts! I also asked if they did fresh fruit? Silly question! no fresh fruit!
After an exhausting day around Scarborough, we went down to the bar for a drink at about 8.30pm. There was one other couple actually sat at the bar, but the rest of the place was empty. I duly sat down in a comfy window-seat with soft cushions, only to be told I couldn't sit there as it was reserved for diners. The place was empty!! We were directed to the far end of bar, on hard dining chairs, so after one drink I went up to the room. My husband later noticed that the soft seating area seemed to be the R&R area for the staff and they obviously didn't want anyone else sitting there!
Day 2 breakfast was the same procedure, with payment for fruit juices and the barman even queried whether my husband had paid for the juice the previous day! My husband was then told, in no uncertain terms, did we realise that we had to vacate at 10am? They couldn't get rid of us fast enough! This is one place we shall never visit again.

Room Tip: Most rooms are very compact
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Nottingham England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Went for a meal August 2013 ordered 2steaks asked for them to be medium .Meal arrived after about 50minutes (no apology for light of wait) It was hot meat looked very well done we thought it was the edges When asked if food ok we did say yes as we had only just started. at end of meal the waitress came with bill this time when she asked if all ok I said "not really what we asked for the meat was very well done and dry " with that the owner came over and raised his voice so all could you were asked you said ok and he was very aggressive we were told not to come back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Market Harborough, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

A group of us come to say three times a year. The staff always make us feel very welcome.The place has a lovely homely traditional feel about it. Service is very good. the food is very good with plenty to choose from.We wouldn't stay anywhere else in Scarborough as we would miss being at the Ivanhoe. I have always been very happy with all the rooms we have stayed in. Always lovely and clean and well looked after.All in all a lovely relaxing happy haven.Am really looking forward to our next stay. yippee.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I will try to be as factual as possible as I wished I'd of read the reviews before purchasing the groupon deal. Firstly let me start with the food we found it to be of really good quality, everyone in our party of 8 was satisfied with what we ate during our stay, but now to the negatives. Like I said we were a party of 8, originally 8 women but after purchasing 3x groupon deals we were told when we tried to book they do not accept same sex parties. This was inconvenient to find out after the deals had been purchased but we worked with that and decided to take husbands instead but when I called back to say that the booking details had changed I was told they had already contacted groupon to refund the money to which my reply was but I don't want a refund I want to stay with my husband and a very heated exchange took place and the phone was put down on me! I immediately rung back and the manager answered who was obviously expecting my call, we also had a difference of opinion but he relented and let me book with the threat of if I turned up all ladies we would be refused entry and the police called. In fairness many people would of cut their losses at this point but I preserved as it had taken a lot of planning to coordinate everyone's working patterns. This was booked in Feb for a weekend stay in August but due to a change in shifts I had to work on the day we were due to arrive but I checked the fine print on the groupon and it said checking in from 1pm, I knew it would be after 9pm that I arrived but with it being a licensed hotel I knew there was a bar and bar hours are usually last orders at 11pm and being family run I presumed there would be people there to check us in so you can imagine my surprise when I was called by the Ivanhoe around 8pm to ask me if I'd cancelled my rooms and when I asured them I hadn't, to then be told unless I was there by 9pm my booking would be lost, I proceeded to check and double check that absolutely nowhere in the fine print did it say booking was after 1 but before 9pm so I got dispensation and left work early, luckily I was based in hornsea and was travelling directly there so set off on my journey. Meanwhile the other 4 people in the party plus an additional 2 who had rung and booked in but paid full price, were also on their way but had been stuck in traffic after an accident had closed the road at coniston. They called and asked for the postcode of the hotel and was also told unless they arrived by 9pm they wouldn't be booked in due to no staff being on duty after this time apart from the one member of bar staff. We were all very put out by this, but proceeded to break our necks to arrive by 9pm. The first party arrived and the booking in consisted of writing down their names on a post it note, why this could not of been done after 9pm is a complete mystery to me but when I arrived slightly after 9pm I held.my tongue. My friend who had arrived to book us in was told by the girl on the phone, who is the owners daughter, was very good at customer services according to her dad, but this I dispute fully as I found her attitude to be terrible over the telephone but in person she wasnt as bad. I could sense she would be very argumentative if challenged but fortunately during the rest of our stay we didn't have any more issues. It was the initial contact and the hassle over checking in that caused me the biggest problem. The rooms were all clean but all small, all had ample tea and coffee supplies. Very dated shower in rooms 1 and 4 and very little water pressure in any room but again nothing major. All in all the weekend has been spoiled by the aggravation of booking/ checking in but with the groupon deal was ok value for money..... I just want to add all the money we spent there in the bar to be told it was an extra 50p for a glass of juice with breakfast if your on a groupon was just petty.

• Stayed August 2013
Runcorn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

Just got back from 2 day trip to Scarborough, we stayed at the Ivanhoe and enjoyed it, the staff were very pleasant and helpful. Rooms very clean and ideal for our stay. Breakfast was more than sufficient, also had an evening meal which was again a good sized portion for the price. Plenty of parking space, an ideal location as only 10 - 15 minute walk to Peasholme Park, and approx a lovely leisurely stroll into the centre of Scarborough. Would stay there again

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

My wife and I stay in a lot of hotels and stay in this area each year and I am sorry to say this was a bit of a let down.
We found the staff and owner quite friendly and keen to please, the breakfasts we had were quite up to standard. The position of the Hotel was excellent for the Peasholme area that we wished to be but oh dear what an awful room we were given in room 1, certainly not big enough for two i'm afraid !
There are far better Hotels in the area and it was such a shame as I do believe that overall the staff do care.

Room Tip: Avoid room 1 at ALL cost.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
derbyshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Myself and wife and two grand children ate at the Ivanhoe last week. I have to say that apart from the hour wait for our meal we have never felt so uncomfortable any where. The staff especially the owner never took there eyes off you and glared all the time that we were there. He was ordering the staff about like some sort of tyrant. Awful awful place with not a pleasant atmosphere. Do not bother with it, there are lots of places to eat near to this that are loads better.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ivanhoe Hotel? Share your experiences!