“My Local” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Pub
Scarborough, UK
“My Local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

Obviously I have to be careful here as I don't want to sully my own doorstep lol, but there's a reason why out of four close pubs, I choose this as my local. Great music, great staff and great beer all contribute to an atmosphere that is warm and friendly, even on a quiet night. Haven't eaten there so can't comment on the food, but there are always decent bands on Saturday night and Sunday 4pm, so if you're visiting for the weekend, get your bottom there. If you happen to be staying for the week then you won't do better than Jesse Hutchinson on Tuesdays and Tilly and Townsend on Wednesdays.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Yorkshire
“Sunday lunch...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

We've popped in here for a drink on many occasions, and it is a nice little pub. As we'd heard good things about their Sunday lunches, we decided to try it.

When we called in, it wasn't busy and we ordered our food and drinks at the bar and sat down and waited. And waited. And waited some more. After about 40 minutes, a pot of apple sauce arrived, and then about 5 minutes later a jug of gravy arrived to keep it company.

Finally, they brought us our food. We were expecting good things because we'd been waiting for so long, but unfortunately we were disappointed. Our meal consisted of.....scraps of meat (the last little bits of the roast with added fat), dried out and tasteless carrots (with a carrot top added for good measure), dried out green beans, small, grey looking peas, watery, tasteless cabbage (I think?!), mashed swede that wasn't really mashed as it had huge lumps in it, mashed potato (again, had a couple of bite size lumps in it), raw cauliflower that was probably only shown briefly to any kind of steam/boiled water, a stuffing ball (perfectly round shape, but slightly slimy texture and not particularly tasty), two dried out roast potatoes (think they were frozen ones that had been cooked, re-heated and then re-heated again) and a Yorkshire pudding - even that wasn't particularly nice. Oh, and the gravy. Bit gloopy, but it did make the lunch bearable. I was really hungry, and I ate as much as I could, but had to give in. My partner ate all that I left - don't know how he managed it!

I am at a loss as to how someone can get a basic roast dinner so very wrong, and I am even more at a loss as to how many people think it's lovely. Sorry, but I just don't get it. Won't go back, which is a shame, cos it's a nice little pub, with lovely beers on. Perhaps they should just stick to being a pub.

• Visited April 2014