“Disappointed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Crescent Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Crescent Hotel to your Saves list
The Crescent Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   The Crescent | Belvoir Terrace, Scarborough YO11 2PP , England   |
Ranked #2 of 28 hotels in Scarborough
Rotherham
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

Having read so many positive reviews about this hotel I was really looking forward to my two night stay. First and foremost the staff are extremely friendly and helpful, however when we arrived in our room on the top floor, the first thing we noticed on opening the door was an overpowering smell of BO which is not the most welcoming smell in the world. However we went out shopping and left the windows open and fortunately the smell had gone by the time we came back. Even though it was December, the room was extremely hot but luckily it was quiet outside so we slept with the windows open. Unfortunately going up and down the stairs, there was a peculiar smell, something I can only describe as the odour of old people with bladder problems and as I have elderly parents its a smell I am only too familiar with when visiting them. We didn't eat in the restaurant so cannot comment on the meals but the breakfasts were very good although I cannot understand why everything was cooked in butter. On the plus side, we were able to park outside the hotel for free.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
TheCrescentHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Crescent Hotel, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Thank you for your comments and let me assure you that everyone at The Crescent Hotel is disappointed that you did not enjoy stay. It is very much appreciated that you acknowledge the staff were friendly and helpful however, disappointing that you did not take advantage of their approachability to mention your concerns.
I feel compelled to respond to keep the record accurate and while I understand that your comments relate to your opinion of what you experienced, several stated points are not factually accurate.
From the picture you paint, one would expect to find an old people's home with lots of folks walking around who are incontinent. That is simply not the case. We have a very good mixture of adults who visit us which include many young professionals who stay during the weekdays and attend their business duties during the day in local companies.
The smell that was evident in the stairwell was chemicals that had been recently used by our contracted carpet cleaners. These chemicals can smell quite strong and do linger in stairwells and hallways. However, they do dissipate eventually.
On the point of the BO smell in the room; this is not a normal thing and has never been reported before. The room was serviced by our housekeepers before your arrival. However, a quick call to the Reception desk would have had the problem resolved very quickly and we would have moved you to another room.
Further, you assert that "everything is cooked in butter". This is another assumption that could have been corrected if only you had discussed the matter with our staff. We do not cook any breakfast item in butter. Butter is an expensive item to cook everything in and also burns relatively quickly; therefore, we do not use it. Most of the breakfast items are cooked under the grill or in the oven and require no additional oil/butter for cooking. The only items that receive any cooking oil are the deep-fried hash browns or our fried eggs.
Additionally, each room has radiators that can adjust heat to the comfort of each guest or simply be turned off.
Our objective is always to make your stay with us enjoyable. Unfortunately, we are unable to rectify issues that are not brought to our attention while the guest is still with us.

Lindsay Cooney
Director

369 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Very comfortable hotel in the centre of the town. Owners always on hand and very friendly, as are the rest of the staff. Excellent breakfasts, as are the restaurant meals if required. Lovely bar area with lounge.

Room Tip: Choose a suite.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My experience of hotels in Scarborough has been somewhat dissapointing over the years. You normally have to live with small rooms, indifferent service, tired decor and uncomfortable beds. This was our first visit to this hotel. We booked it after researching the ratings for hotels in Scarborough and this hotel had featured very highly.
We were not dissapointed, the room was excellent with nice modern facilities including a large television. and loads of room. The staff were friendly and extremely efficient and it was a nice warm clean and updated hotel. Parking is always an issue in a town centre hotel as there is no private parking, however a parking permit for the local crescent can be purchased quite cheaply.
I would definitely stay here again

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Just returned from a two night stay at The Crescent Hotel in Scarborough and cannot speak highly enough of this hotel from check in to departure.
The staff were all friendly, helpful and efficient. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable.
The public rooms were cosy and immaculate and the food...... lovely selection at breakfast - we were a party of six and between us tried all the options and all were excellent. We also had one dinner in the Reflections Restaurant and it was superb - compliments to the chef!
We would definitely return.... thanks to Paul and all his staff.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

Small and very comfortable. Service and food both excellent. Well positioned incentre of town but quiet because of its crescent location. Cosy bar. Limited car parking the only draw back. That is all I have to say thanks trip advisor

• Stayed November 2012
Mirfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Found this after booking in at The Royal then reading reviews on here and promptly cancelled! The reviews for The Crescent are all spot on.
The building itself is old but the decor is fresh whilst reflecting the style of the building. Everything works and is spotlessly clean.
Parking was fine, get a permit from reception for £4 till the afternoon after and find a space around the park. There were several space when I visited.
Our room was number 32, top floor on the corner so there were 2 windows on each corner side which made the room beautifully bright and we had views over Scarborough and the sea. The double bed was a good size with feather pillows and duvet, all smelling just lovely!
There was plenty of space and had a hair dryer, tea and coffee facilities and a trouser press. The bathroom had a bath and a shower and was spotless.
Breakfast was very, very professional and for a full English, there wasn't a hint of any grease and it tasted marvellous! Coffee - lovely, orange juice - lovely, yoghurt and fruit compote - lovely, my son had 4 slices of toast because he liked it so much!
The host and hostess are very warm, welcoming, accommodating to my 10 year old and very pleasant indeed.
I will definately return here, guaranteed a pleasant stay.
Thank you The Crescent!

• Stayed November 2012
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

Giving this hotel the review it deserves could end up in it being impossible to book in the future. I'm sat in my lovely room as a type, wanting to get this review in before I check out and get busy.

The Crescent looks like most sea side hotels. Set on a lovely Crescent a very short walk from Scarborough's restautants, bars, clubs, shops and of course the sea front. But also just far enough away to ensure you are not disturbed.

My room at the front of the hotel is spacious, light and very prettily decorated. If feels more like a guest room in a house rather than a hotel room, a feeling the big chain hotels have managed to lose with their corporate decor.

The restaurant.. wow. For less than £20 I had two amazing courses that were sensational value for money. My starter was a stack of black pudding, bacon and calves liver dressed in pepper corn sauce. Delicious. I'm usually wary of peppercorn sauce as it can be over powering but this was delicate and light. My main was two beautifully plump, tender and juicy lamb chops and mash potato with the most delicious, rich and fruity gravy (should I call it Jus?) Everything was cooked to perfection. The chef here is a gem and if you are wondering where to eat in Scarborough, look no further. You'll thank me.

Finally, a word about the people working here. I can't call them staff as I'm not sure that is what they are. They love the hotel and want you to be happy when you are here and do everything they can to ensure this. All in all, the Crescent is a home from home, deserving of more than its 3 stars, with the bonus of a restaurant that I would prefer is kept a bit of a secret so that I never have trouble getting a table here.

Room Tip: If you can stretch to the "Belvoir" go for it.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to The Crescent Hotel? Share your experiences!