“Amazing hotel, can't wait to return!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ambassador Spa Hotel

You added Ambassador Spa Hotel to your Saves list
Ambassador Spa Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 - 38 Esplanade | Centre of the Esplanade, Scarborough Y011 2AY, England   |
Ranked #21 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Amazing hotel, can't wait to return!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

I very grudgingly left the hotel as it was so nice, so I am a little surprised by a couple of these reviews. We were very pleasantly surprised to see the hotel was a beautiful building with character, not like some of the run-down tackier hotels that are closer to the south bay and what you may expect from a seaside resort.

As soon as we got there, the reception staff were very helpful, friendly, knowledgeable, and we were really really pleased with the room. It was tasteful, elegant, yet modern, and spotlessly clean, and we had a garden view which was pretty. Compared to the bedroom the bathroom was a little outdated, but they are still going through refurbishments, and everything worked perfectly in there and it was clean. Even if I had paid full price I would have been very pleased still! The chilled prosecco on arrival was lovely!

The 2 course dinner at the seaview restaurant was incredible. The restaurant itself was really pretty and had amazing seaviews, and the food was cooked perfectly and had a lot of flavour (Between us we had the chicken skewers and thai prawn parcels for starter, and both had the beef medallion for dinner), and we ordered some sides to go with it. The alcohol was reasonably priced, especially for the high quality standard of the place.

The bed itself was soo comfortable, I could have slept in it forever! The only downside when I woke up on the last morning was that there seemed to be some children in the room above who were jumping from heights over and over again and throwing things so we were woken up really early and couldn't get back to sleep because of all the noise they were making - which is not the fault of the hotel, but unfortunately maybe down to the crowd of people attracted to the hotel at the time because of the very reasonable groupon deal.

The breakfast was impressive, again the wait staff were very helpful, and fresh tea/coffee and toast was delivered to the table and you help yourself to breakfast, which was very tasty and fresh, all good quality products which is not always common practice in even nice hotels! I heard a few people complaining that they were having to wait for food to be replenished, but as soon as you asked the staff, or they noticed themselves they would replenish it straight away.

We used the pool and spa, which was small but nice. The sauna worked great too.

We will most definitely go back to this hotel, but would love to try out a seaview room! I had a look at one, and it was airy and had stunning views. Everything was of top quality, even the toiletries in the bathroom. It was a lot better than other boutique hotels that I have stayed in before, and certainly a lot better than other chain hotels I have stayed in, partly due to the amazing staff working there!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here in June with several friends as we were all attending a wedding. I see from current reviews that the hotel is offering a groupon deal and that may be ok value, but £110 for a very small basement room with a window looking at a brick wall 3 feet away is a disgrace.

The 'refurbished' rooms mean that they've painted a couple of walls in mushroom and put 4 cushions on the bed. The bathrooms were old, poorly maintained, had terrible showers and cheap laminate flooring that was buckled and had several holes due to someone's stilettos I guess.

The position is lovely, the hotel is simply a rip-off. I would never recommend anyone to stay here. Standing on the steps waiting for a friend i spoke to an elderly couple who were in tears as they discovered that they had been charged nearly £150 a night and had an awful room. They were trying to find somewhere else to stay. Breakfast on the Sunday morning was a fiasco. Everything ran out time after time. Not nearly enough staff and those that were on were extremely frazzled to say the least.

When many people are choosing to stay in the UK for their holiday, its a shame that hotels like this continue to get away with a very poor service.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
AmbassadorOpsManager, General Manager at Ambassador Spa Hotel, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor, I am sorry that your stay fell below your expectations.
I am a little disappointed that you have chosen to use TripAdvisor as a Forum for a complaint which could have been resolved had it been discussed with the Hotel Management. You mention in your review of 7th August that your stay was in June so I am unsure why you chose not to contact me regarding your stay whilst you were at the Hotel, or in the month since. We hope that all of our guests leave having had a relaxing and enjoyable stay, I am confident that on the whole this is the case and other reviews on TripAdvisor serve to uphold this confidence. I am sorry that we failed to deliver on this occasion and wish that we had been allowed the opportunity to set things right.
Thank you once again.
York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

We stayed here with a Groupon deal (£69 for one night with breakfast, 2 course evening meal and bottle of prosecco). Overall we found the hotel very nice, the food was lovley, both breakfast and our evening meal and the staff good. Our room was below ground level and not great but to be honest we were going out and would only be in the room to sleep so we didn't ask to move. Had we have been there any longer I wouldn't have wanted this room. The bathrooms have not been updated and this needs addressing but that is the only complaint. I would stay again if I ever returned to Scarborough which is unlikely as we found it very run down and little to do when the weather is poor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Pontefract, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

My husband and I used a groupon offer and initially paid £69 for a room, two course evening meal, breakfast and a bottle of prosecco. When phoning to book we upgraded to the sea view room for an extra £20, which we believe was worth it.
Room was clean and modern with a tall window looking out onto the sea.
Evening meal was outstanding, I had seabass and mussels, my hubby had the beef and samosas. Food was similar to other very smarter and more expensive restaurants we have dined in. Breakfast again was faultless, with very helpful staff.
Great stay and very surprised at the standard.

We also enjoyed a swim, not the biggest pool but sufficient. Including a jacuzzi. Sauna needs to be turned on well in advance as it was not warm enough for us to use.

Live singing in the bar in the evening, which was brilliant.

Ideal for families or couples on a quiet retreat near the sea or if you love the slot machines, which seemed to be everywhere in Scarborough!

Definitely stay at the Ambassador Hotel if staying in Scarborough.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

We had a fabulous couple of nights in this Hotel. Lovely staff and very helpfull. Food was a very high standard..great breakfast (fresh food, well cooked and tasty). We had one meal in the restaurant one evening and that was also very good. Live entertainment both nights as well. Our bedroom was large, well decorated, comfy bed, large TV and clean bathroom. Parking was on the street but was no problem and the hotel has fantastic views of the South bay. I would strongly recommend a visit to this top notch establishment.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Just returned from a weekend break at the Ambassador, took advantage of the Groupon offer for 2 nights with dinner and breakfast. Arrived and immediately impressed, especially when we got to our room and saw the sea view and bottle of wine on ice waiting. Our room was on the first floor above the bar.

Went down to the bar and had a couple of drinks before going through to the restaurant for dinner. I ordered pork belly starter, which was not bad but not the best, I like it crispy and this was not crispy at all and a bit fatty. My partner had chicken skewers which she loved and tasted good when I had a little taste (always my luck that I wish I’d ordered her meal). For main I had the beef medallions which were really tasty and extremely tender. My partner had the beef with red wine, which again was very tender and tasty. For dessert I had lemon meringue which was poor, it was like it hadn’t being cooked. The meringue was sloppy, again wished I’d ordered my partners dessert which was mint chocolate cake. Waiter was extremely friendly, helpful and thanks for the sea view window seat.

The next morning we were woken up around 6.00am by extremely loud music coming from the bar area below. I have to state I am not normally the type of person to complain. I rang downstairs to ask them to turn it down a bit, an employee called Sean answered. I asked him if he could turn it down a bit, he hung up on me! Couldn’t believe it, I rang back 3 or 4 times but they wouldn’t answer. At about half seven quarter to eight my partner called again and a girl answered who apologised and turned it down straight away. Had breakfast which was nice, but I was kind of still angry at how Sean had hung up on me. Later complained to another member of staff who apologised and said they shouldn’t even have music on at that time and said he would take it up with management.

They had a band on Saturday who I thought were absolutely brilliant, that good that we didn’t end up leaving the bar all night.

On sunday we did have to wait 15 minutes to be seated for breakfast, we had to wait in the bar area, even thoough it didnt look that busy. Once again breakfast was good.

All in all a lovely hotel with great, friendly staff, good food and good location. Shame Sean slightly took the shine off it for us. If management read this I hope they take it up with him.

Wakefield, West Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

This hotel is undergoing refurbishment and is sellign itself as a boutique hotel which it isn't. We got a got deal on Groupon for £69, bed and breakfast, 2 course evening meal and bottle of presseco in the room on arrival. After checking in and finding our room which didn't have a seaview (£40) to upgade, we found it difficult to open the door. The housekeeper told us it was because a new carpet had been fitted, so you had to really push against the door to open it, I stuggled with this so I would expect the hotel's average customer (of a certain age) would find this extremely difficult. Why they didn't have the door fixed to open properlly I don't know. Although efforts had been made to refurbish the bedroom, the en suite has not been upgraded so that was disappointing and there was a full length mirror on the back of the bathroom door opposite the toilet - not a good look. I have to say the bar and restaurant area are fine with good seaviews and the meal we had in the restaurant was very nice, the mussels my husband had were excellent. We ordered off the a la carte menu so we had to pay a supplement and main meals do not come with veg so you have to pay extra for those as well. They even had Sancerre on the wine list so I was quite happy. The breakfast too was very nice so for the deal we had I can't complain too much. We didn't use the pool but it looked quite small. I probably wouldn't choose to stay at this hotel again but if you get a good deal and are looking for a base in Scarborough this hotel wasn't too bad.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room, this is an old hotel, would imagine the old room are awful