“Stayed in better gutters after a night out.” 1 of 5 stars

The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Queen's Parade, Scarborough YO12 7HX, England   |
Ranked #26 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Stayed in better gutters after a night out.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We checked in the the Clifton on a Saturday after noon.the hotel looked ok from the outside,but so does Auschwitz. We only stayed as it was close to a concert venue. The staff are friendly,the food was edible,the corridors and landings need decorating and so do the rooms.The room was booked as a double with a sea view. I don't know what was classed as double,only thing I could think of was the wardrobe,which may I add you could not open as the doors were a inch from the bed.The wall paper was falling off in places and paint was flaking. I have just completed 22 years in the British Army and have spent more comfy nights in a trench. As you can tell I will not be staying again. On a brighter note the concert was great.

Room Tip: Book into a different hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
York, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Arrived for a concert in Scarborough. Having booked and paid for double room (expected a 4 6 double bed) we were given a room which had a four foot bed squeezed into a a room that you could not swing a cat around. The room was dated and dirty. The shower room small and well worn. Not a nice room at all.

When first reporting this to the reception we were told the hotel is full. Went back to the room and measured the bed which was 4 foot squeezed in to corner with only one way in. Your partner would have had to crawl over you to go to the bathroom ( the space was so small you could not walk round the bed). Went back to reception and explained paid for a double 4 ft 6 . . The lady who was helpful said it was a cozy double but realized my husband and I would not fit in the bed.

We were given an alternative room (had the Hotel not changed the room I was about to leave) . It was a disgrace how the Hotel were going to put anyone in this cozy double let alone a couple. We were stuck really as we were going to the concert and all our arrangements would have been ruined so we accepted the alternative room.

The alternative room was disgusting the bathroom was too small and dirty. I did not use the shower because the mat was filthy and the walls were dirty (worn out, disgusting) . The furniture was well worn. The side board had scratches all over how could they put guest in such a room. It was tacky, dreadful. The room had paint peeling off the skirting and the curtains were dirty and coming off the curtain rails.

While I accept you cannot clean windows outside you can clean them inside.

The place was run down and needed more than a make over.

The breakfast was serve yourself and eat what you wanted but, it was all canned cheap food. Not very nice at all. Cheap bread and the food was tasteless.

The reception staff were pleasant. To be fair overall nobody cared or gave you a feeling they cared for the customer.

You might say well what do you want for £90 for a double room well it would be nice to stay in a room which was clean and you could get a shower.

This is one of the worst hotel I have stayed in for a long time. I will never go back I just could not wait to leave. This Hotel gives Scarborough a bad name I stayed at the an Hotel on the South-side the month before paid less and it was really nice lovely home cooked breakfast and most most importantly clean.

You can tell how bad it was and nobody cared . There was a dog laid on top of a coffee table in the lounge and no one thought to say is this not unhygienic? and did anything about it. People were seen eating off these tables a few minutes later with children.

I would not recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: Better places to book in Scarborough.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

The only problem I had is parking the car without being charged for parking. As I was stopping at the hotel !
As for the hotel itself. You get what you pay for. We had room no.5 it looked like it had been refurbished. So the room looked nice and fresh. And it was clean. We thought the food was great. Simple but very good. Orange juice.Tea. Coffee. Full English. Toast. ( and as much as you want) at night. Hot rost dinner. Same again ( as much as you want)
But I did hear some people moaning outside. I don't know what for. Still you can't please everyone! !
If you want a simple break. Not too dear. Then I would recommend it.
The only one thing that I picked up on. Is that a couple of leather chairs had large tairs on the arms on them. Which look quiet bad for being in a hotel !!
And yes we will be going back again. ☺

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

Was on Yorkshire Tour de France with National Holidays and stayed Saturday night at the Clifton.
Staff efficient and friendly quickly had us booked in and keys given out. We were late arriving so we had to drop our bags and go straight to dinner. The food was edible but looked s if it had been keeping warm for a good few hours. Buffet style so it was possible to find something.
Breakfast however was really good. Great selection of food which was hot and tasty. The hotel itself was clean with a good lounge & bar overlooking the sea. The room we had was a standard room it was small but well equipped, okay for an overnight stay.

Room Tip: Room 7 has been refurbished but small, however at the end of corridor on ground floor was really qui...
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

Just stayed at Clifton for two nights after my daughter presented me with a voucher for one night, I paid for second night. When booking through their central reservations I was told the car park is first come first served. When we arrived the car park was blocked by barriers with names on, when I enquired at reception was told it had reserved parking only and I could have a scratch card to park on road for £6 (used this system before in Scarborough, always FREE). So they charge £6 to park on a public road. When I enquired at the council offices they said they only sell vouchers to residents with a post code and the cost is 80p.

Bad start but got worse, when we started to unpack we realised there were no drawers or shelf space, so hung coats and shirts up in wardrobe and left rest in case. There was plenty of space in the Executive Room (it was called on the card) for either drawers or shelves. The room was number 3 on ground floor, it had single glazing and a door to the outside facing north which was a former entrance. The draft through the sides of the door with the wind coming of the North Sea was unbelievable, it had a thin curtain over the main part of the door but the window at the top was uncovered, the main window also had a thin curtain so at night there was light from the street lights making it as bright as daylight. there were no net curtains allowing people walking past to look in.

We enquired about the heating but were told they weren't allowed to switch it on so I asked for a heater, as the room was 10 degrees colder than the corridor. The porter said they didn't have any but would try and get one from a sister hotel but not until next day. I spoke to the manageress the next day (the one who sold me the parking ticket), she said they weren't allow to issue heaters, but the main point was her total lack of empathy. When I asked how many stars they had I was told they didn't have any. I said do you get repeat customers and he said yes. I asked what about Tripadvisor he said they don't care.

We spent all Saturday morning looking for a second hand heater for one night that's how bad it was, I managed to get one for a fiver, it made Saturday night a lot more comfortable.

Apart from that the bathroom was clean no mould and the food was good but when you go on holiday these days (we're not still in the sixties or are they) you expect the experience to better or equivalent to home.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 3
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Stamford Bridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Had booked via wowcher for our wedding anniversary. Arrived at lunchtime and received a very warm welcome. Our room was ready and we checked I. Room very good, clean and bright.

Evening meal was a buffet with the choice of four main courses. We both thoroughly enjoyed the meal and the buffet breakfast the following morning.

Super hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Just left the clifton hotel in Scarborough. Booked a twin room for my daughter and myself via website. Room 116 was oppresive. Yes it was clean but it only had 1 tiny window up near roof for natural light and there was no air flow. Inside room, strangely shaped, so difficult to access seats as you had to squeeze past bed. Very noisy water system. Got the feeling it was a store cupboard until recently. Breakfast was very poor. Arrived half an hour before end of service but no glasses, no hot coffee, remnants of bacon and scrambled egg in trays. Wanted to make comments at checkout but simply gestured to throw keys through hole by person sat at desk. Didnt want anything fancy... Guess I got what I asked for!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to The Clifton Hotel - Scarborough? Share your experiences!