“I visit Scarborough to go to this place!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 303 Restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: Vegan
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Description: C-A-L-F are a vegan cafe and animal sanctuary. All profit from the cafe goes to help the animals at our family run sanctuary. The cafe is run by a small group of volunteers. We are currently open Tuesday to Sunday, 12 till 4, closed Monday xx
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“I visit Scarborough to go to this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

I love Scarborough... I love Scarborough more now this place has opened! Amazing staff who are fighting a good cause. They volunteer and run an family animal shelter - all proceeds go to the animals. I have been a few times (as i live over 2 hours a go it's not easy to come often)... but when i have i have LOVED IT. I love the decor, its spacious and the food is fantastic. As someone else said... THE CAKE IS AMAZING! Me and my partner had the chocolate cake and were in heaven. Well worth a visit! Really close to the seafront! Amazing <3

• 5 of 5 stars Food

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Vegan Oasis of Serenity & Indulgence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Firstly, it's situated on the street right behind the harbour and fortunately at the bottom of the hill. The building is dappled like a Friesian cow, so you won't miss it.

Going through the door you're greeted immediately with an earth-mother kind of look, but don't look to your left, as that's where the chocolate cakes are :) The cafe is beautifully decorated, that it's much more than what you'd call a cafe, and in actual fact it's a cafe/shop. There's a beautiful painting on the ceiling of all the animals C-A-L-F struggle to represent, indeed until every cage is empty.

So we sat down and looked at the menu. There's all types of snacks available from sandwiches to vegan burgers, with mock meat or traditional bean-based. Ice-cream desserts, soya of course, Luxury soya-Milkshakes and of course THE CHOCOLATE CAKE. I had the vegan bean burger and a chocolate luxury milkshake (with a scoop of soya ice cream at the bottom). Everything was great and top quality. Prices were exceptionally reasonable, especially for a seaside town, but too cheap that it encouraged me to eat more than my waistline should have allowed. Only then did I notice the specials board, damn, but I couldn't eat any more. The Cruelty-Free Chocolate Cherry Liqueur cake was delicious and I reckon so thought everyone else, as I must have had the last slice.

There are all types of teas, herbal and otherwise, plus coffee and our favourite Fentimans selection of Cola, Ginger Beer and all.

The staff were warm and welcoming, and service was great too. I took note of the sign, Be Nice or Leave, obviously intended for the not so nice people who like to tease vegans.

If I lived in Scarborough, I'd be eating there quite a few times a week. And while I've eaten in other vegan cafes and restaurants, nothing quite compares to the rustic elegance of C-A-L-F, Compassionate Animal Liberators & Friends. Every penny that C-A-L-F make goes to help save lives, so I left with a full belly and a warm heart, back on my 4 hour return-leg to Glasgow.

And when you leave, don't forget to tip the cow on the counter, she needs donations :)

Visited May 2013
Rugby, England
“Just try the cake!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

C-A-L-F
Was in Scarborough for a concert and had done a web search for a veggie/vegan place and up popped C-A-L-F.
The food was tasty, well presented and the service was excellent.
The peanut butter cake, with chocolate sauce, was the best vegan cake I've had. Highly recommended!
There were two young families in and their children were able to eat things like vegan hot dogs and burgers - the point being that the menu has food suitable, or recognisable, for non-vegans and youngsters.
There were lots of interesting leaflets and magazines about veganism to read.
I couldn't see any juicing going on; which would make a complementary addition to an already excellent and nutritious menu.
No visit to Scarborough can really be considered complete without a visit to C-A-L-F !

• 4 of 5 stars Food
hull
“A wonderful place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Completely love this place! Definitely my favourite place to eat by about a million miles. The food is very reasonably priced and the presentation is great, with a quirky interior and lovely, friendly staff. If you're looking for a veggie/vegan place where you can take your meat eater friends then this is it. A mix of traditional hearty comfort foods and fresh healthy options, and you will NOT believe that it's all vegan, it's incredible. The fact that this place is ran by volunteers yet still maintains such deliciously high standards is brilliant. I'm just gutted I live so far away and can't eat there every day.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol England
“Very good ...and not just for vegetarians”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was a nice surprise and is worthy of a very good rating, but because it is currently ( April 2013) only open a couple of times a week I have not sampled enough of the menu to say if it warrants a better rating. The woman running the place was very pleasant, the sevice was good and the interior was interesting.

Now for the food, the salads were varied and delicous and looked attractive on the plate. I had an ice cream float also delicous and reasonably priced. I have had better chocolate and banana crepes but they were not bad and reasonably priced. I am not a vegetarian or vegan but appreciate the animal welfare, economic and health benefits of meat free regimes. This cafe is one of my 3 favourite eateries in Scarborough,

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere