“Superb location” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Scarborough, yorkshire
“Superb location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Popped in here late August with husband after walking out of The Ivanhoe at the top of the road due to various reasons. For those who read my reviews I am very fussy and "expect" a certain standard if I am paying to frequent any establishment.

Firstly, the external and internal areas were very busy with people eating and enjoying a "guest" ale or two. Yes, walkers were welcome to bring along their dogs which does not bother me in the slightest.

The barmaid was friendly and "down to earth" which was
pleasing, could easily joke with her without pretence or stuffiness. I do consider the pub needs a really good "deep clean", dead flies on window cills and menus very tacky to the touch.

However, we stayed and both ate whitby scampi in a basket. Served in an 80's plastic basket effect bowl which looked hideous the food within was really nice! Scampi non greasy, home-made chips yummy and non-greasy. I really enjoyed it for "tea" wouldn't come here for a "meal" but for quick "tea" was acceptable and cheap too.

We live only 10 mins walk away and returned the evening Mcfly were playing at the open air theatre - the pub was packed out. We only stopped for a drink in this occasion. This pub just needs a refurb and some TLC.

We will pop in again.

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

shipley
“good meal came back next evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

we stay a couple of nights in a B & B in north bay scarborough and decided to walk to the old scalby mills for our evening meal. it was excellent.........the food, drinks (draught san miguel)and service. we enjoyed our selves so much we came back the next evening for our meal again. it helped that the weather was very warm, almost hot, the few days we spent in scarborough!

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“not worth going to”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

after a lovely walk across the beach we decided to stop for a bite to eat, I wish I didn't. We waited over an hour for 2 paninis I'm not one to complain but I had to go up and ask them how long we would have to wait. the women behind the bar were unfriendly and not helpful I would of rathered spending my money elsewhere.

• Visited September 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Would not return”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My family and I decided to have lunch here after visiting the See Life centre but the welcome was lacking and the smell of stale spilt beer was quite pungent as we walked in, but as my toddler son was hungry we decided to stay. Service continued to be poor and the food was snack van standard. Yes they are real hand cut chips but were saturated in oil/grease. For my son we ordered chicken nuggets, chips and beans, only the beans were acceptable to eat (surely it should be easy enough to cook nuggets, chips and beans). To top it off when I asked if there was anywhere to change my sons nappy I was met with an abrupt NO, so back to the See Life it was. Poor poor poor. Reading the response from a previous review a lack of professionalism is evident. May I suggest you use these low reviews to invest in your business as you have a great location.

Visited September 2013
“Well Worth The Walk.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

We parked our car in the town centre and walked the long, but very scenic, walk (about 2 1/2 miles i'd say) from South Bay to Old Scalby Mills.
That wasn't our original plan but, when we reached The Sands, it was busy and there was a lot of noise. So, we kept walking past the gorgeous colourful beach huts, past The Crazy Golf and The Sea Life Centre until we reached this little gem of a pub.
I had the Whitby scampi basket with chips - lovely. Also a nice selection of ales and ciders is o offer.
The only downside would be lots of dogs off their leads scavenging food.
Not everyone was friendly, but one waitress was delightful. She advised us not to get the 'train' (more for children) but the bus from outside The Sea Life Centre back into town. She brought out a timetable and was really helpful.
Great advice and i'd definitely recommend the walk here. Well Worth It!

• Visited August 2013