“great weekend food good room good weather good what more cou;d you ask for” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough

You added Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough to your Saves list
Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Nicholas Cliff, Scarborough YO11 2ET, England   |
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
littleborough
“great weekend food good room good weather good what more cou;d you ask for”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

My husband and I had a very enjoyable weekend. We were fortunate to have really good weather. We would stay at this hotel again we considered it to be value for money.
The hotel is still in need of some upgrading our room had been recently refurbished
and was delightful.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
Frankfurt, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Decided to stay at the Grand as travelling with my elderly aunt and the hotel had bingo and cabaret every night plus my aunt prefers larger hotels. Heard about the bad rep. of the hotel after paying £108 for two nights for b&b plus dinner via Last Minute. Room was on front of the hotel - Premier side and we were not disappointed, nicely decorated and modern bathroom. Towels were changed without us indicating that we would like fresh ones. Rather a draft from the original sash windows but we solved it in our own way. Food was good and held in a gigantic dining room. Buffet either end but there was an option to pay a little extra and dine in a more initimate atmosphere in another room. Apparently at the weekend, there had been 650 guests but by the Sunday evening there were only 250. On the Monday, the coach parties began to arrive which is good economic sense for Britannia and excellent value for money for those within the coach parties. The vocalists and dancers in the evening were excellent and after working on 5* cruise ships for many years, I would say their talent is comparable to onboard cruise entertainers that I have seen. All in all a great stay, value for money and a good experience to stay in such a large hotel, steeped in so much history....the staircase leading to the massive lobby had a Titanic edge! I guess the only negative, the windows could do with a good clean.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
york
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Friends and I stayed here after booking it on the internet - it was horrendous. We obviously got the old rooms which were dusty, holes in the bedding, curtains that didn't fit or shut properly, bathrooms which were filthy and so on and so on. We had to pay up front before they would give us the key and no wonder - if we had seen the hotel and bedrooms first we would not have stayed here. I did try to complain but the guy on reception wasn't bothered! What a waste of a beautiful Victorian hotel which in it's heyday must have been fantastic.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
liverpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

just returned from this hole 4th oct 09 what a terrible hotel, rude staff completly unhelpful our room 246 2nd floor was cramped with window that was cracked and would not open with very little room for our belongings and ourselves. entertainment was limited to older age guest and no real thought given to any other age groups, food was very mixed quality ranging from reasonable to unedible (overcooked,undercooked cold & swimming in grease) . the fire alarm went off 3 times on the friday night and it took the management an hour to agree to evacuate the building and get the fire brigade to attend and check the hotel, they said it was safe because they removed the main sensor only to replace it once the guest had forced them to call out the brigade. sadly just another case off could'nt care less attitude displayed by the majority of the staff on duty in this hovel. if you want to be treated like cattle then by all means book in to this building, i hesitate to call it a hotel.I for one will never visit this place again

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

What can I say?!

This place was MAGNIFICENT! Having read some of the reviews on this place, you would think I was taking my life in my hands going there!

We went on a trip with Caledonian Travel for the September weekend and it was just awesome. We were in a tiny twon room on the 4th floor with a wee window overlooking the sea.

The rooms were well appointed, warm and quiet. The shower was about 1.5x the size of a normal shower with lots of hot water and decent pressure.

I thik our corridor had been freshly refurbished, as the carpets and decor were lovely, and there were still some rolls of carpets in the foyer awaiting attention.

The staff were exceptional - very friendly and always eager to please. Special mentions to both the wine waiter and the lady who seats you at dinner.

The bar and sun terrace were the perfect tonic on the balmy nights, with a £1.50 happy hour 12-7 and the house wine (a decent tipple) being £8 a bottle.

The setting was the most beautiful I have seen in a hotel and could easily have been about ten times the price we paid!

Both breakfast and dinner were buffet style, with beautiful views over the South Bay. Some people may complain at buffet dining, but I thought it was great as you didn't feel guilty going up for seconds or avoiding sprouts!!

All in all a fabulous hotel, in one of my favourite towns. I'm so glad I finally got to stay there, and it won't be the last time!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Wakefield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2009

I had heard this hotle was also known as 'hotel salmonella' so that was a worry but since then it has been taken over by brittannia so we thought we'd give it a try. So glad we did. The room we had was 4 floors down - which was strange. You couldn't hear anything from any other room which is a big plus. The room was clean, had tea, coffee and biscuits and the bathroom was a good size. The hotel is so close to town it takes about two minutes to walk there. The staff - especially the doormen and receptionist - were brilliant. Could not fault them at all. The food was beautiful (and i am very fussy about how my food is cooked). The breakfast was also lovely. The only downside to breakfast was the tea was stone cold. We had seen the waitresses bring out FRESH teapots but it was still cold.... I asked how this was possible and promptly asked for a teapot with HOT tea not clap cold which I got. I also made sure it was hot before the girl walked away. Apart from that (which was corrected due to opening my mouth) the hotel was great. There was construction work going on in the hotel when i went - it was being refurbished - but that didnt bother me as it was still quiet and clean.

• Stayed June 2008
doncaster
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2009

we have just got back from the grand on sunday the 27th sept 09 having spent 2 nites, my partner had never been b4 and after he read the reviews said he did not want to go, but i had stayed there in the past and reassured him he would be more than happy as this was his birthday treat from me a lovely weekend away costing £248 plus £9 to park, well treat it was not, after all the praise i had given this hotel i was disgusted with our stay, i paid to upgrade as always only to find our room was not redecorated and the windows were filthy my partner even wrote fridays date on them, there was a damp patch on the wall and i have returned and been put on steriods and antibiotics due to breathing in damp spaws from our so called refurb room, we were in the premier dining room but the service was shocking, not once on both our evening meals were we asked if we would like a drink or even asked if we needed any thing 4 that matter, the food was nice but not wot you would hope for from premier dining, the cafe on the sea front offered a better standard of food and service,as 4 the staff in the dining room well they shout at guests insult there guests and offer no help, every thing was to much trouble 4 them, bearing in mind its self services u would think that asking your waiter/waitress to bring you cutlery or cups would not be a problem well it was, one poor man only asked 4 a cup so he could have tea on the saturday morning and was shouted at by the waitress 4 asking, telling him ask some 1 else carnt you see am busy . i was glad to get home, i rang the hotel 4 head offices number to be told y they wont do any thing we only have good reviews about this hotel as if wot i was saying was totally unheard of, now you would think when some 1 tells you that a waiter they employed was outside smoking a joint 20 mins b4 serving guests and was clearly stoned threw service would be a serious matter 4 the management, well think again they were not bothered and assume there guests invent woth they write. well i have gone from being a very big fan of this hotel to now being hell bent on getting things changed there, so if any 1 would like to forward me there comments and pictures about there stays at the grand please do so to [--] as i am going to push the owners of this hotel to do some thing about it. thanks angie

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough? Share your experiences!