“Night away” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Manchester
“Night away”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We went Sunday and came back Monday the room was big on the ground floor it looked like it had been done up the curtains were new and the bedding was alright.The shower curtain diid not go round the bath properly and i flooded the bath room it was really flooded. The food was the worst thing it was cold and tasteless that was evening meal at 5 45 Breakfast bacon was awful and sausages as well.We had good entertainment on Sunday night.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Grand724, Manager at Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, July 16, 2014

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,465)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My partner book a night here as a birthday present for me. I was really exited as I love scarborough and always wanted to stay at the grand. He booked the best room you could book with a jacuzzi bath. I had been taken into hospital unexpectedly the day before we were due to go but released the following day about 8pm so decided to still go. When we got there alm I wanted was to have something to eat and a bath. I asked at reception if we could have a takeaway delivered but was told no not after 11 pm which we was fine with so decided to go out to take food back. When we arrived back with our food we were told in a very rude manner by the 'bouncer' we wouldn't be bringing our food inside. He then proceeded to slam the door shut in our faces so we had to go and sit in the car (which we had had to park quite far away) to eat our food. If already noticed when we dropped our bags of into the room before we went for food that the room was dirty, dusty, very dated with dirty scratched walls and wardrobe. But on our return found the bath to be scummy with pubic hair in. I went to reception to complain, but was told because I had checked in half hour before there was nothing they could do as I didn't report it straight away! I obviously didn't leave it there so they said they would send someone up to clean it.. This was now midnight. They were there 2 mins and moved one pube. I could have cried. I couldn't wait to leave and will never ever stay there again and will tell everyone that I know who's thinking of going the same. Absolutely disgusting.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

Cleanliness is key to our product, I can see procedures we have in place have not been adhered to this matter will be fully investigated.

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Booked 2 rooms, my husband myself and our daughter, which we obviously requested to be near each other. They couldn't have been further apart and neither of them had a window. I have never stayed in a hotel without a window, didn't,t even know it was possible.
We were kept awake ALL night by drunken guests shouting and fighting but was unable to contact reception to complain as there aren't,t phones in the room and no mobile reception.
No chance of parking near the hotel, the receptionist told me that the hotel was build before cars but I managed to park near Stonehenge when I visited there!
I could go on and on but there is no point.
Without a shadow of a doubt the worst place I have ever stayed.

Room Tip: One with a window!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your comments during your recent visit to us. We will use your feedback to improve the hotel.

I can read from your review not all areas were to your expectations.

I would encourage you to contact us direct so we can discuss your feedback further.
York, Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Such a fantastic old building in such a poor shape. Terrible rooms, no air, no window, damp, smelly and unpleasant. It is badly in need of a fundamental makeover, and needs millions spending on it. It was cheap, but there are no excuses for such an bably maintained operation

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Hereford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Whilst this hotel offers a Grand Look from the outside . With apparent sea views , the interior is far from what you may expect in it's Grand title.
The food was of quite poor standard . Scrambled egg being tasteless , watery, and to the point of uneatable. The offering of burnt sausages also give very little appetite to continue with Breakfast.
Evening dinner doesn't offer much better in the way of presentation.
Let's also mention the bedroom, stuck down in the underground room. No air coming in, smelly . Damp , and uncomfortable.
Would highly recommend in only one thing ....to stay away .

Stayed July 2014
Grand724, Manager at Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, July 18, 2014

Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We have just returned from a coach trip through National Holidays and we stayed at The Grand Hotel and had a super time.
Yes the hotel is dated but we had no problems what so ever. We were given our keys for our room(number 16) on the first floor and I must say it was lovely.It faced the sea and it was really big and very clean. We had tea and coffee in the room which was nice. We were only booked in for bed and breakfast but the hotel included Dinner in with the price which we thought it was really nice of them. We went down to Dinner and there were a number of choices for starter,main meal and desserts. Yes we had to wait for about 5 minutes to find a seat but it wasnt a problem. The food was hot and really tasty and you could get as much as you liked and the staff really helpful. The breakfast was also really nice. We could not fault this hotel at all.I dont know what people want for the price you pay for a 3 star hotel.
I would have no hesitation to book this hotel again. Thank you to all the staff.

Room Tip: Go for room 16 on the first floor
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Just returned from a 3 day holiday at The Grand and would like to say how much we enjoyed it. I booked it through National Holidays as a surprise for my fiance's birthday and we had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. We were in room 231, although the room was 1970's décor and needs updating the room was clean, the bedding fresh and the bathroom had a lovely power shower with nice white towels. The food in the Harbour Lights restaurant was hot, tasty and plentiful, excellent value for money. What a wonderful experience we have both had this weekend, I would like to thank the staff and management for making my fiance's birthday extra special.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough? Share your experiences!