“Turkey/Tinsel 5 days.November 2013” 2 of 5 stars

Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   St. Nicholas Cliff, Scarborough YO11 2ET, England   |
Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Turkey/Tinsel 5 days.November 2013”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Never been so disappointed with a hotel before.As we were updated to all inclusive,a few days before we were due to travel.........we had no choice but to accept this late change.It was chaos when we arrived,we had to carry our cases up to our rooms...and there were some very elderly people in our coach, a workman had to show us which lift was working.Poor lighting in bedroom,could not read at nighttime. Shock to find this is a self service dining room,with one toast machine, and coffee machine.Elderly guests,with walking sticks found it very hard to get their meals themselves, never had such poor meals before in any hotel.Had to queue up for our Free Wine before we went into the dining room.The entertainment was the same every evening...which was not suited to the general age of the guests....70....to 80 years and over.Found the lounge very chilly in the evenings,i had to ask a member of staff to close the OUTER DOOR,which they did,but on our last evening I requested the same,as it was cold, and the Manager came to me and stated.........it was more than his job..to close it..it had to be opened at all times.Not a very helpful your man at all.I think it is disgusting to put the health of elderly guests staying there..when I read the notice of possible Nova Virus happening here.We were told to stay in our rooms if taken ill..and to let member of staff knoow...Tell ME How when there were no telephones in the bedrooms.Whilst shopping.......we were told by Shopkeepers it was common knowledge that at least ONCE A YEAR this hotel was closed because of this Virus.National Holidays should take this hotel out of their brochure. Would advise people to not waste their money booking at this hotel.

Room Tip: I looked into THE ROYAL HOTEL whilst I was there,and this put the Grand to shame.Everyone was so hel...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Grand724, Manager at Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed in a unit for 3 days with an excellent view very old building so keeping it very clean is obviously an issue- enjoyed the stay. Booked under the name of Randall from Australia. Good value for money because of the location, why would you book into a caravan park costing more.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Rushden, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Where to start, I've just got back from this joke of a hotel and thought I'd put my views for you all to see and don't make the same mistake. On arriving at this hotel it looked fine and the reception stairway was lovely too and was looking forward to seeing our room, unfortunately that's where it came to a end. Entering our room we was very shocked at the old style furniture that had been thrown in any spot, the bathroom shower was rusty and smelt of sewage. The bed linen had stains on and there was no light except night light above bed- must be a standard room!! The windows looked like they hadn't been washed in years and carpet was stained and very grubby. Our first trip to the canteen oops sorry (restaurant) was shocking, food was not up to standards and was Not edible. Staff was rude and not welcoming and was about as helpful as being slapped around the face with one of their cheap undercooked sausages.To make matters worse,despite telling the hotel my sister is wheelchair bound they chucked us up on the second floor as they pointed out they have adequate lifts. On the final day it took me and my sister took 25 minutes to get in their tiny lifts. Which was clearly my breaking point. I went to complain at the main desk only to be ignored and gang up on by reception and manager on day and said if I didn't calm down they would call the police. This is without a doubt the worst hotel in Scarborough (if not the entire country)...but don't take my word for it read the other non employees below wink wink.

Room Tip: Hotel opposite looks lovely
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
leeds in uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

we were booked into the grand to stay sat nd sun night..My parents,my wife nd myself in two standard double rooms..On the friday night at 9:30 pm i received a telephone call stating that we had been transferred to the clifton as the grand was overbooked even though our bookings had been made nrly a month earlier.We werent happy as we stay at the grand approx 6 to 7 times per year but accepted it as we didnt want it to spoil our weekend.This is where the amazing customer service starts.Dan (duty manager) and Dale (reservations) arranged for us to be half board instead of bed and breakfast.We were given beautiful sea view rooms and during saturday Dan turned up at the clifton in his own time to see if we were ok and to drop a cple of bottles of wine off for us as a token of goodwill.These gestures by Dan and Dale made our weekend extra special and we had an amazing time.Only problem is we now dont know wether to choose the grand or the clifton on our visits to scarborough.Once again thank you from the cockcroft family

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013

Arrived here on a coach trip last Saturday. I am sure that this hotel was sumptous in its heyday but sadly that must have been decades ago. It is now very run down and needs thoroughly updating. Not sure where the refurbishments have taken place, because the rooms that I saw were well below standard. There was no shower in my room and the bath was badly stained. You would'nt have wanted to climb in it. The duvet was to small for the single bed and every time I moved I uncovered myself. I have never stayed in a hotel with hand cleaning alcohol gel dispensers and Norovirus warning in your room until I stayed here. The breakfast experience was the worst time. We made our way down to a very shabby restaurant. A very rude male member of staff greeted us by shouting at us for not having some card with us, that, apparently we should have carried at all times. This is NOT how you treat guests! The furniture was extremely shoddy, dining tables scratched and marked and the leather type fabric peeling badly off the chairs. There was however a nice sea view if we had been inclined to linger awhile. No organisation in here. A second male staff member that I encountered moving plates etc was very unhelpful when I asked for assistance to find the cutlery. Also a cook type person would have knocked me out with a tray of food had I not leapt out of the way. One young lady waitress was polite though. Coffee was lukewarm. Faced with the offering of an unappetising cooked breakfast I decided not to partake. Played it safe with a couple of slices of toast. Butter rock hard. At check out time, which must have been the same time for everyone, it was bedlam. Everyone was trying to escape at the same time. Big queues at the lifts. Lifts not adequate for the size of hotel. One poor young lady in reception in a wheelchair was in tears as her friend complained to staff about their 25 minute wait to catch the lift to get to the ground floor. Two female members of staff and I understood, at least one of them was a manager ,were completely unsympathetic and showed no empathy to their guests plight. It was incredible to witness this outrage. I have never seen such behaviour from staff anywhere. There must be a special training course at this hotel on how to treat guests badly. The staff should know to treat their guests with respect. Or maybe things are so bad at the hotel staff are always in conflict with guests. The ownbers of this establishment need to take a good look at it and start to make improvements in all aspects. And to the person telling people to "get a grip" - I think you are a member of staff? You have been warned. Stay here at your peril!!!

Room Tip: Not sure if any rooms good.
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. All your feedback has been passed to the relevant departments for improvements. Members of our team are not permitted to place reviews on this site. It violates Tripadvisor’s terms and conditions.
northants
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Where do I start arrived at this hotel and was given a large room, bed sheets were blood stained, bathroom smelt of sewage,no ceiling light only a dim wall lights, couldn't see after 6pm freezing cold room, lukewarm water, shower that didn't work properly, food was like slop. Staff including management need to go on a training course on how to treat customers, while I was there a lady was shoved and told to move on by the manageress, I will never set foot in this hotel again even if it was free, while I was there several rooms were broken in to, I'm sure that this hotel is breaking all Heath and safety regulation there is also a A4 leaflet in the rooms to tell you what to do if you get the nuroviros which must be a ongoing bug.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Grand724, Manager at Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.
Northampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

Having had a trip to this hotel thought I'd better update my thoughts in the hope u don't make the same mistake by taking a trip to this so called "grand hotel". Initially when we first arrived it looked fine and the reception look lovely too. The real problem started the moment we seen the hotel room. Very out dated and looked nothing like the pictures they advertise on there website. No lights,cold water,cold room,shower didn't work properly and smelt disgusting. The food was very poor standard and reused the following day. The majority of staff was rude and unfriendly apart from Duncan the waiter who always went above his dutys to help and made us smile other then that there staff attitudes stunk! The lifts couldn't fit 8 people as suggested 5 at push and when theres 1000 people going can be a little annoying if on top floor. I have put this as 1 * but that's being generous. Bingo was the entertainment for the night but was very expensive £26 for full set of books when normally £10.

Room Tip: Don't go there
Dear Guest,

Been to Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough? Share your experiences!