“DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY !” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“DIRTY DIRTY DIRTY !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

This place is filthy, from the reception staff to the bedroom, everything needs a good clean. The hotel has anti bacterial wash placed all over the hotel to stop spreading viruses. The problem must be from within.

The male member of staff that was on duty Saturday morning (12th October) looked as though he'd never been washed and his tie looked like it had been dipped in grease.

There are notices around warning you about gastroenteritis and Noro Virus.

Our booking included breakfast but we decided to eat out for obvious reasons.

The hotel smells of damp, bad drains and cabbage.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Grand724, Manager at Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments. In relation to the information leaflet regarding Noro-Virus this is there for guest’s information and to ensure all guests are fully aware of the Virus. This Virus is very common in large hotels, Cruise Ships and Hospitals. We are very pleased to confirm there have been no outbreaks in the hotel due to our approach to educating customers and increased levels of sanitizers around the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
Halifax, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels around the world, but the Britannia Grand Hotel, Scarborough takes my award as the worst hotel that I have ever stayed at. From it's rude reception staff to a cold and poor quality breakfast. Even after being upgraded to a premier breakfast. and being informed by the staff member whilst checking my premier upgrade on the morning of breakfast ,and informing me that I needed to be at the standard breakfast hall. I then preceded to point out to her that if she looked properly at the receipt, it stated upgrade. She just shrugged and allowed me into the premier breakfast area. On the morning of vacating my room, the chambermaids called into my room twice before 10am to ask when I would be leaving so they could clean the room. Correct me if I am wrong, but this should be done after the official vacating time of 10AM.
So onto the best bit of my stay at this awful hotel. When arriving at the hotel on the 10th August 2013, 1.30pm, my wife and I, along with two other couples checked into three twin rooms. We all unpacked are clothes and agreed to meet in the lobby at 2pm. After hanging a shirt in our rooms wardrobe and putting bathroom items on a shelf in the bathroom, my wife and I met our friends in the lobby and went for a drink. On returning to the hotel some 4 hours later we went to each of our rooms to change for the night out. On entering our room, I immediately saw some strangers baggage on the floor. On opening the wardrobe, someone had hung a coat over my shirt and left bathroom items neatly at the side of our items.
I was very angry that this so called Grand hotel could double book a room. After complaining to the reception staff and receiving not so much as an apology, I then noticed there was a queue at the side of ,all with different complaints.
I have wrote to the Hotel to request a full refund, this was 60 days ago. They sent me an reply on the 12th August 2013 to say they would write to me within 28 days. I have not received any such letter, even after emailing them 30 days later.I hope people read this and choose not to use this hotel, as there is no doubt this hotel cannot and will not deal with complaints in the correct manner, and just want to take peoples hard earned money without a care in the world.

Room Tip: Do not use this hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Grand724, Owner at Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

As you have posted directly to a review site I cannot contact you directly to discuss your experience. Our management team are available 24 hours a day to assist with anything you are concerned about during your stay. Please do feel free to contact us direct.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Stay at this hotel is very comfortable,though rooms are old style.Full English Breakfast will fill you up for rest of the day.Lovely see view and within walking distance.Such a big hotel with so many rooms.
Service with a smle was much appreciated.
Would like to go there again.It was very cheap in price.

Room Tip: Good to have room facing sea side
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Lytham St Annes
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have been very fortunate during my life to have travelled extensively and visited a large amount of the world. In that time I have stopped in all types of hotels from the very best to appalling. The previous accolade for the worst hotel was a "so called" airport hotel in Mumbai, which turned out to be a 2 star hotel next to a tip in the slums of Mumbai.
We have just returned from a 2 two night Dinner Bed and Breakfast stay at the Grand Hotel, and The Grand Hotel has now taken this negative accolade from the Mumbai hotel. Other than location I struggle to find any positives to give the hotel.
Much has been written about the poor quality rooms and dreadful food, all of which I concur with. How Britannia Hotels think they can continue to get away with the appalling standards we have been exposed to during our stay at the Grand and still continue long term to be a viable business amazes me.
The clientele at the hotel were quite elderly and mainly on coach trips (I am 60 and felt young), when this age group is no longer available as a client group, do not expect my generation to accept the dreadful standards of this hotel.
From a personal perspective I will never stay at the Grand Hotel or any other Britannia Hotel ever again.
How much more negative publicity is needed before Britannia look at their future strategy and bring their hotels up to the standards expected in the 21st century.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.

Newcastle upon Tyne, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We got there at 10am and drove straight into a parking space at a cost of £3 a day. Get in there!
Check in was at 1400 (2pm) and sorry to say was a long wait.
4th floor room with sea view. basic 1940s room style the wardrobe door fell off when my wife opened it to hang our stuff in.
Deep Jacuzzi bath which worked! Towel Rail has off the wall and a light bulb out near bathroom mirror. Nothing that 5 mins maintainence couldnt fix.

Clean and tidy room However the bed should have been down in the S & M rooms! I counted 47 springs on my side alone lol

Food was basic but edible and staff were polite.

Confused why the bar closed early when I always thought residents could drink longer?

Security on front door let you in and out as long as you had your key.

Its an old Hotel and the girl needs TLC, Grand staircase.

3 star hotel so dont expect too much.

All in all this trip was ok and not as bad as I frist thought it would be

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel in regards to your recent stay. There are currently a number of refurbishment projects about to commence over the coming year within the hotel which will rectify a number of areas you have highlighted. Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Lancashire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We booked to go to the Grand Hotel for 2 nights Dinner Bed and Breakfast with some friends. We booked a deal on a site called GoGroopie and paid £99 per couple. Part of the deal was a free bottle of wine on the first night per couple. We weren't expecting much due to the price, however we were definitely NOT prepared for the nightmare we had. Our friends had arrived early and rang to say they had checked into a room on the third floor which was shabby but had a sea view. When we arrived to check in I asked the receptionist if we had a sea view and I was told no, when I said our friends had one she said that they must have been given a complimentary upgrade. I then asked if our room had a window as I had heard about rooms without windows and she said yes it did. We were given an executive room on the -2 floor woohoo I thought, we have been upgraded. When we opened the door it was like going into a prison cell, yes there was a window, however you could not see out of it as there was a brick wall facing and a fire escape in-between so it was really dark. The room was narrow with a double and single bed in it. The bathroom was tiny. We immediately returned to reception and asked to be moved even if we had to pay extra. We were told that there were no other rooms free in the whole Hotel but that we could possibly be moved the day after if we asked again. On meeting our friends, they came down with us to the room and said that the standard of our room was much higher than theirs and that if we could stand the dungeon like feel we should stay there.
There was a note through the door about meal times but how it read was as if it was for people on a coach tour (there were lots of coach tours staying) so we ignored it and went down for dinner at 8pm. The receptionist had told me that Dinner was from 6.30 until 9.00pm. When we got down there the restaurant was closed so after much arguing with the Restaurant Manager we were allowed into the Premier Dining room (we were not on our own as several people had read the note and thought it pertained to the Coach Tours). BIG MISTAKE!!! My husband ate nothing as nothing was edible. I had some cheese and biscuits. When I mentioned to the Duty Manager the morning after that there had been a mix up with the times and our experience in the dining room, she gave us an extra wine voucher which I can honestly say was the only plus point to the whole fiasco.
Breakfast was appalling, especially the sausages which had no texture at all apart from the burnt bit around the outside. The view would have been lovely if we could have seen through the filthy windows. Dinner was, for me, a Gammon sandwich and for my husband a small piece of Gammon and some custard for dessert, our friends had much the same, luckily we were prepared and had had a nice lunch.
The entertainment was half an hour of a girl singing like a chipmunk which unfortunately we could still hear in the resident's lounge, despite trying to get away from it.
Luckily for us there were four of us and we laughed about the situation otherwise I don't think we would have stayed even one night. Suffice it to say we will NEVER book into a Britannia Hotel and certainly never go into the Grand again, which is a shame because the hotel has a fantastic history and is a beautiful building. It needs Money with a capital M spending on the bricks and mortar and a total re-training for the staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Grand724, Manager at Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough, responded to this review, November 25, 2013

Hyde, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We have had our Butlin reunion here now for the last 3 years, and I have to say that we have mostly been very satisfied. This year however I was really disappointed with our room, it was called 'Executive, and it sadly failed that description on every level. Still, we were hardly in it. We paid the extra for the dining room really. The Hotel is very tired and there never seems to be enough staff, having said that, all of the staff I dealt with were friendly and polite and willing to help. The hotel is always very good to us, letting us have sole use of the Palm Court ballroom for the duration of our stay, where we put on shows and competitions and afternoon tea dances. For this I cannot fault them. I love the nostalgia of this grand old lady, but she is rather feeble and run down, which is a great shame.

Room Tip: Ask for premier on the terraces
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Been to Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough? Share your experiences!