“Good value for money” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
east riding of yorkshire
“Good value for money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

This is the second time we have stayed at the Grand,both times we have requested a refurnished room with whirpool bath and both time that is what we got.
The refurnished rooms are lovely and modern.We payed £70 for 1 nights bed and breakfast and in my eyes it is very good value.Yes the hotel is a bit run down in places and they do cater for the older generation but it is in an excellent location for a night out in scarborough.
I am 29 and my partner 36 so the entertainment wasn't our cup of tea but there is plenty of bars and night clubs on the doorstep.
The breakfast was ok with plenty to choose from,however the staff that we came across were very abrupt.

If you want a cheap place to stay in an ideal location then i would recommend this hotel.My biggest tip would be to ask for a refurnished room,we were on the 6th floor both times and these rooms seem fine.

• Liked — Location and whirlpool bath!
  • Disliked — The staff
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,326)
devon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2008

Have just returned from a coach trip holiday. No I am not an oap but it beats driving and is cheap. £169 for 5 day, luckily this included £20 for a seaview room. Some of the party were in basement with no windows!! No phones in rooms and mobiles had no signal so scarey if you had an emergency. Currently being renovated and couldn't use stairs one day as being carpeted (again glad there was no fire as lifts not to be used in fires).

Main complaint is food. Veg was awful and not much selection. Noticed on 3rd night could ask waiter for hot sweet. Only about 4 or 5 staff in dining room at anytime. Supervisor was asked for sweet and we were told to ask a waiter!

Our room was on 4th floor with small window which had sea view but unfortunately not large window that sea could be seen when sat on bed. Seagulls nesting either side of window and baby gulls crying most of night.

Bathroom was really nice, only fault no towel rail, but we did have 4 rawle plug holes so maybe it had fallen off.

Beach and roads really clean as swept at 4am by noisy machine.

Overall hotel was ok. Cabarets ok and as we knew majority of guests would be oaps we were expecting loads of ballroom dancing and organ music.

• Liked — bathroom
  • Disliked — food
  • Stayed June 2008
sheffield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2008

we have just stayed the night at the grand, yes she is a bit old and tired but you can still see what she used to be. I booked before I heard the stories and read the reviews so I wasn't looking forward to the stay but overall no problems. The staff were polite, the rooms pretty much standard, clean and tidy. I only paid £55 for a standard double room for the pair of us including breakfast what more do people want. the hotel was booked full so it can't be as bad as people are writing

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — stairs
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2008

Imagine if you will, I'm trying to organise a surprise weekend for my husbands birthday, and think of Scarborough as we've been a couple of times before and liked it. So I think - I won't book a B&B I'll book a hotel instead, so I end up booking the Grand for one night DBB for my husband, myself and our 5 year old. I ring up to confirm the booking a couple of days before and ask for a sea view room. I'm told there is a £10 supplement pp, per night for this, which I wasn't told when booking. We duly arrive at the hotel at about 2pm (normal check-in time, in my experience), to be told that rooms are not ready until after 4pm. It's pouring with rain so we trudge around for 2 hours 'til 4.00. I ask the receptionist what the procedure is for charging drinks etc to our room, "Oh no - you can't" she says and that was that. Then we eventually get to our room. It's the size of a shoe box, with barely 6" between the bed and the wall. It's scruffy - ripped curtains, bed with holes in the divan, threadbare carpet. The room has barely been cleaned, cobwebs in the corners and a pet spider. We have someone else's rubbish in the bathroom bin and the towel holder is missing. Well we think, it's only for one night. My husband then goes off to try and park the car outside the hotel and spends nearly 2 hours driving round and round, to no avail so ends up parking about half a mile away (not a happy bunny). Meanwhile my daughter and myself explore the hotel. Yes I know it's in the process of a multi million pound refurbishment program, but does that give them any excuse for not cleaning the place? It's filthy and so shabby everywhere, carpets held together with gaffer tape and ladies toilets that dried excrement up the walls - nice. We wandered into the empty and semi derelict ballroom, where there were a couple of flipcharts, I presume from some staff training day, reminding staff to be polite and cheerful and helpful. I presume most of them had been off that day. Unfortunately the hotel has also had a refit at some point in the 70's and this does it no favours either, it now resembles an 'institution' in places. We went down to dinner (beware the restaurant closes at 8pm sharp!) and found a table in the corner that had a filthy old tablecloth on it , after waiting ages I asked a waiter if we could organise some drinks, he looked at me with suspicion and asked, "what sort of drinks?", I say, "you know drinks." He says, "what alcoholic ones?" I reply, "erm, yes" - wondering if this was a trick question. "Oh you have to get them yourself from the bar at the entrance of the restaurant". So off I trot to the Restaurant bar and ask for 2 bottles of beer and a fruit juice. "Oh no, we don't serve beer here" I'm told, "But this is the bar isn't it?" I ask, "yes", he replies, "but we only sell wine here, if you want anything else you have to go up to the main bar and bring it down yourself." I can't be bothered and we get some water. The meal was unbelievably bad, greasy and tasteless lasagne, grey veg and soggy potatoes. We ended up eating cheese and biscuits. The waiters seemed to think that "Waiting" involved hovering over your shoulder and whipping your plate away as quickly as possible, regardless or not of whether you've finished. Then we went to the bar, which is situated in the main lobby area. I should mention that there is also a cocktail bar, but you have to buy your drinks at the lobby bar and take them over yourself. I bought a couple of drinks for us and ordered a juice for my daughter. "Do you want a glass with that?", asked the barman, "No a straw will be fine", I reply. to-which I get that same strange glassy eyed look as before, "Oh no we don't have straws here." We gave up pretty soon after that and went to bed. I've thrown away better beds than those, even my daughter kept asking me why it was so lumpy. We only had the joy of breakfast left before we could escape, and couldn't believe there were bowls strategically placed in the restaurant with a hand written note 'thank you for your tips!'. yeah right!
This is a big hotel, a once splendid and glamorous venue which would have provided a luxurious seaside base. This is not the case now. Please save your money and book a decent B&B instead, IT IS AWFUL!!!!

L.T.
Barnsley
22-23rd June 2008

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — arriving
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2008

The Grand was once one of the finest hotels in the world. It is not any more, and really needs a massive overhaul and refit. However it is not as bad as some Tripadviser reviews suggest - as long as you go NOT expecting a "grand" hotel. The building itself is an amazing phenomena stuck up on the cliff and the focal point for the bay. Many of its original features are still there and in working order - ballroom, cabaret room, lounge, dining room overlooking the sea.

We stayed in a Premier room, and it was definitely worth the extra cost. Good sized room, sea view, reasonably clean, whirlpool bath, king-size bed, quiet - with seagulls nesting outside (but in a nice way)! Breakfast was fine - we didn't eat an evening meal, which looked less attractive. Some of the public areas (stairwells, for example) need a thorough clean. Only one person on reception while we were there is ridiculous given the size and busyness of the hotel.

Car parking is available on-street. By a display voucher from reception instead of feeding the meter - cost £4.50 for 24 hours.

If we were in Scarborough again we would be happy to stay at the The Grand (in a Premier room).

• Liked — Location and ambiance
  • Disliked — Needs about £4 million spending on it to restore it to its full glory
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a five day stay at the Grand . This is our sixth consecutive holiday there . From the very first moment we walked in six years ago , we loved it . There is something warm and timeless about it . Almost as though you can feel the vibes of of people who have been happy there over many many years . Like everything in life , it is not totally perfect , but maybe that is part of its charm . The location is perfect and the views stunning . It has a wonderful free and easy atmosphere . Lots of space to sit and "chill"
The entertainment is second to none and aimed perhaps at the over 50s .

I have read many of the adverse reports and can't really understand why people feel badly about it . Not sure what people expect . If you want cutting edge modernity , don't go , but if you love tradition and a good relax in Victorian surroundings , you will love it . Go with an open mind ~ just enjoy .

We found the food very good indeed . As much as you want and good quality simple dishes . My only grumble would be the flasks of tea in the morning ~ Not that good , but easily overcome .
We did once have a poor unrenovated room , but when I asked , we were given a good one without question .
We will hopefully return there many times in the future .

• Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Blackpool
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

I arrived at The Grand Hotel in Scarborough with great anticipation and looking forward to a bank holiday weekend there with my partner and his mum.

The Receptionist set the tone for the rest of our stay until we checked out early on Monday. The Receptionist treated me as an inconvenience to her conversation with her colleague and was condescending when directing me, very vaguely, to the rooms in which we were booked.

I returned to the reception desk on two occasions to be given very vague directions to the elevator which took us to our rooms. I am no halfwit but felt like one after dealing with the reception staff.

The dining room staff were even worse and finally we decided to leave the meal behind and go outside to have a lovely fish and chip supper on the Promenade.

I love Scarborough but this hotel is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in and I have travelled much of the world. It was not so much the hotel but the staff in the hotel that ruined our trip.

Do not stay here.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Staff
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Britannia Grand Hotel Scarborough? Share your experiences!