“Fish for Compliments” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
“Fish for Compliments”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

There may be other options on the Mother Hubbard menu, but on my tri-annual visits I've never looked further than the Specials, then only at the haddock and chips with bread & butter and tea or coffee - and the price is the only thing that is reasonable. That particular meal deserves to be described as superlative: piping hot, with a large portion of perfect manageably chunky chips and delicious perfectly crisp battered fish, which taste like they've come straight from land and sea rather than from a freezer bag and a microwave. The mushy peas are a little mundane, but they do what it says on the tin.

Unlike the food, the service is not quite as warm as it could be - but it's possibly because the staff want to leave you to your fish and chips, which speak for themselves of the excellence of Mother Hubbard's kitchen.

There is a pensioners' special price offer - of which I will take advantage several decades in the future, as I will still be a patron of the best quality seaside fish and chip emporium (the only word that does Mother Hubbard's justice) I've been in across the UK.

• Visited November 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“Good prices rubbish staff”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

Came here wih a friend for bog standarf fish chips and peas which were ok but not the best, the female waitress that serged us was very rude and dismissive as if we were an inconvenience she neednt worry we wont be bohering her again! Coffee very nice though

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“THE BEST FISH n CHIPS ever =)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

=) the best fish n chips ever! I'm from South Yorkshire and have family in Pickering. We won't go anywhere else for our lunch. The staff are fantastic and have been brilliant with Val and me since we lost my Dad, (Phil) last year. The service is excellent fast and efficient. There is a new lift and stair lift installed making it easily accessible to all. Highly recommended. Most importantly the food is EXCELLENT you won't be disappointed.

Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

In Scarborough today for a haircut, it was wet and windy, so we fell into the nearst eatery for some lunch, this was our first visit to Mother Hubbards, how we missed this one I don't know.
On entering the restaurant we were given a pleasant greeting and told to take a table of our choosing.
The menu is mainly fish, there are one or two meat choices, both my partner and I opted for fish though, 1 Large Cod and 1 Plaice, both served with chips and peas, we both enjoyed our meals very much.
I was the greedy one, having a sweet, Winter Fruit Crumble, served with custard in its own little jug.
All of this was washed down with a large glass of wine each.
The service was good, the food was good and the price was good, we will be back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Harrogate, United Kingdom
“Excellent !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

As always when my husband and i go to Sarborough for the day we always come here for the lunchtime special. As always good service and excellent food. You just can,t fault this place. We have never had a bad meal yet.
Just one tiny niggle though today and i still can,t believe it. We had a coup of Tartare sauce and a bottle of Ketchup. Half way through our meal a waitress went from one table to ours picked up the coup of Tartare sauce and returned to the other table and gave it to the couple sitting there. Well excuse me if you don,t mind me saying how rude ! She didn,t even ask if we had finished with it. Come on please take note.
We will return and will continue to reccomend this place.

• Visited October 2013