“Modern, luxurious, creative and wonderful use of a 19th century building.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Crown Spa Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Crown Spa Hotel to your Saves list
The Crown Spa Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Esplanade | South Cliff, Scarborough YO11 2AG, England   |
Ranked #10 of 27 hotels in Scarborough
Yorkshire
“Modern, luxurious, creative and wonderful use of a 19th century building.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

We stumbled upon this fabulous hotel as we went for a stroll on the South Cliff, loved the decor, imaginative use of colours and friendly staff and immediately booked. The reception staff couldn't have been kinder or more helpful, our room was stunning and I fell in love with the bathroom and use of coloured lights. It was deliciously comfortable and pretty with every facility available including a good pool and leisure complex, with exceptionally friendly and helpful staff. We dined in the restaurant for both dinner and breakfast and nothing was too much trouble for anyone, hot milk, poached eggs, you name it. Best of all it was scrupulously clean, modern and we felt, after one night as if we'd been on holiday for days as it was so relaxing.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

1,298 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (374)
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

Booked a last minute couple of rainy grey days in Scarborough just to get away from it all. Was concerned about choosing where to stay, as my experience to date of sea side town hotels had not been good. This place was better than i expected lovely decor in main areas, bedroom curtains were a bit chintzy and room was smallish but the bathroom was lovely clean warm and nicely lit. and after all i only paid a special offer rate due to their being no view due to the scaffolding which we had been made aware of when booking online. Used the pool and jacuzzi downsatairs which was all art deco/nouvaeu tiled, while everyone else was getting ready for dinner and we had it to ourselves it was like being in a relaxing hideaway. Yeah a bit pricey but everything else including the staff and the view were spot on.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

The company I am employed by made a reservation for me. On my arrival I realised the hotel is situated in one of the most beautiful locations in the UK with phenomenal views.
What is more, most of the hotel staff, in general, were extremely friendly, polite and professional, where the customer comes first. However, there were a few staff that did come across unprofessional, unfriendly and looking to be tipped.
I stayed in room 153, where the size of the bed was inbetween a single and a double bed. The room is spacious, contemporary with a fantastic bathroom. The room comes with fast speed wifi, which is easy to access. The room cleaners always make sure you have cookies, biscuits and various hot drink sachets.
For anybody staying in the hotel I recommend ordering a meal as bar food, this will ensure your meal is under £10, where the quality is the same as eating in the restaurant.
The hotel does not imply a curfew, in fact it is the opposite.

I would recommend this hotel to anybody staying in Scarborough, you will be treated well and you are within a 10 minute walk to the seafront

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Rotherham, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

We asked for sea view and were told on arrival internet requests were not honoured. Our room faced scaffolding at the back with workmen walking past the window. Swimming pool is small and dark. Spa rooms were nice. Evening meal included for £25 each was awful, mine was cold and had to be sent back, my husband's gave him food poisoning. We did not use our allowance, so assumed that wine would be included- it was not. No response has been received to my complaint. Also there is no parking.
Do not stay at the Crown Spa unless everywhere else is full!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
leeds, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

My mother and I stayed at the crown spa 3rd Sept to 10th Sept 2009. We booked a feature room (114) my goodness we were very impressed. The room was massive with twin beds, a chesterfield sofa, two leather chairs, coffee table, dining table and chairs. plasma tv, tea and coffee. iron and board, mini fridge, superb bathroom and the best a balcony overlooking the sea, south bay and the faraway cliffs (a telescope is also provided to make the most of the views). The breakfast is excellent with plenty of choice (fruit juice, fruit, cereals, bacon, eggs, sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, beans, pastries, bread, toast, tea and coffee). The bar menu is very good, with a vast choice of food including sandwichs, paninis, burgers, soup etc). Taste restaurant is an excellent choice for dinner with a good choice of starters and mains (beware the portions are very big), a large selection of wines to tempt. The spa is very relaxing, please make time to have a massage ladies I prebooked a back massage and enjoyed it so much that I booked another one before I came home. The staff here are very friendly and helpful and make your stay as relaxing and enjoyable as they possibly can. If you are looking a an upmarket hotel with superb views and relaxing calming atmosphere, with friendly staff and excellent food and amenities then you will not go wrong with the Crown Spa. I enjoyed the week so much I will be going back next year with my husband and will definately book the same room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

My husband and I decided on a quick 2 night break and thankfully as it turned out chose the Crown Spa in Scarborough. The staff seemed always eager to please (but not obsequious) and the service both in the bar and restaurant was very efficient - the reception staff were also very helpful. Our room was very spacious and comfortable. The food was excellent, both dinner and the continental breakfast, much more than we expected - we don't eat the fry-up English type but this is available.The Hotel is situated at the top of the cliffs with lovely views out to sea within easy access of both walks and the town centre. The worst aspect would have to be the parking which is on the road but we managed to get within 50 yards of the Hotel despite the car park being out of action due to roof repairs (due to finish shortly). Parking is, thankfully, free with a voucher from the Hotel. We shall definitely be staying again - very restful and we were also lucky with the weather.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
England, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

I stayed at the Crown Spa for one night as part of a hen night party to use the spa for the day and head out at night. I spoke to a member of spa staff to advise then that three of us would be late for the 10.30am "Meet and greet" as we were driving over to Scarborough that morning. The lady was very frosty and obviously expected me to apologise in some way for not being there for a tour of the facilities at the time specified by the hotel-which, I felt like reminding her we were paying to visit! I was made to feel like we were the cause of some major inconvenience as she would have to arrange for someone else to show us around. In the event, nobody came to collect us as she had arranged, we simply checked in and managed to find the spa all by ourselves! Other than this the stay was very nice, the facilities are well-used so by late afternoon I was a little put off sitting in the steam room/aroma room as they were so full. The treatment I had was very good, though it didn't last as long as it should have-the spa was fully booked (mostly by our party) and the staff were running around so I think they were trying to rush us through a little.
The room was comfortable and the scaffolding outside wasn't the end of the world,the food I ate whilst there was well prepared and the choice at breakfast was very good. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Crown Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!