“Happily recommend” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Happily recommend”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Went for one night with my boyfriend on bank holiday Monday 26th August. Had been recommended this hotel by my Dad as opposed to another hotel on the North bay we usually use. I booked room only £62.50, I thought it was great value for money, and loved the fact it included parking from the moment you arrived, until you left Scarborough (not just from your check in and out time). Check in wasn't until 3pm but we expected this, was told we could use spa facilities beforehand if we like, which I thought was a nice touch. We used them later on, my boyfriend enjoyed the pool, I loved the steam room, foot spa and sauna room. Our bedroom was very nice, the bed was fantastic, had one of the best nights sleep ever and the bathroom was great, love the waterfall shower. I liked all the extra touches, proper filter coffee as opposed to instant, hair dryer in room, bathroom commodities, ironing board. The same girl checked us in and out she was very friendly and helpful, as were all the staff. Didn't have breakfast so can't comment on that, had drinks at the bar in the evening all very nice. A great hotel, will definitely go back, thanks for a relaxing time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. The Monday after the bank holiday is always rather quiet and some great deals were on offer. I am delighted that you enjoyed the facilities of the hotel and the staff were attentive and polite.

I will pass on your positive comments to both the staff and management who I know will be delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write a review, we do read and reply to all reviews and use them to better our product for future guests.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (491)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel on 1st September for our wedding anniversary and we were very impressed! On check in the receptionist informed us we has been given a complimentary upgrade to one of the presidential rooms which was a lovely surprise. The room itself was very spacious with a kingsize bed,seating area and flat screen tv,but the real treat was the bathroom it had green mood lighting and even a tv to watch while in the bath! There was also an anniversary card in the room for us which I thought was a lovely touch. The location of the hotel was ideal for Scarborough beach and the town centre both just a short walk away. The spa facilities are amazing including jacuzzi,small pool,saunas and a steam room, although maybe some comfier chairs and loungers in the area near the steam and sauna would be nice.We opted for a continental breakfast which we enjoyed although the breakfast staff could have done with being a little more organised and the breakfast items (namely boiled eggs) needed replenishing more often. Other than that we had a lovely stay at the hotel and we will recommend to others. All in all the crown spa hotel made our first wedding anniversary top notch!

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a mostly positive review. I am delighted that you were pleased with the upgrade and the card that greeted you on arrival. I do hope that you return to the Crown on a future visit as nothing pleases us more than seeing a guest return.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

I found the bed room cluttered and small for a 4 star hotel though furniture was nice. Didn't like the wet room shower , prefer cubicle though that room size was adequate. It looked run down and the views of the roof didn't help. Poor parking , which you have to pay for if you can get it for ten pounds a day. Only stayed one night there as part of my travel in the UK on my visit from Australia.

Room Tip: The room we were given was to the rear of the hotel with views of the roof. The front rooms with bal...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am disappointed that you feel the room allocated was not of a 4 star standard, as with many 4 star hotels we do have rooms that are rear facing and do unfortunately face the roofs of other buildings. I do hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels and once again thank you for your review as we do read and reply to all reviews and use them to better our product for future guests.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed here only one night but it was fabulous. Very friendly staff large bedrooms and when you ask for disabled facilities you get it food great. Everything was perfect plenty of seating outside for the beautiful views. It was a lovely night there going back next year for longer

Room Tip: This is the only hotel to stay in when visiting Scarborough.it is a beautiful. Friendly. Very clea...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to leave such a positive review, I am delighted that you have had an enjoyable stay and look forward to you returning as nothing pleases us more than a returning guest.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I have stayed at the crown spa many times as a visitor with severe mobility restrictions. Until now I had not chosen to use the spa. As a full time wheelchair user I couldn't even get up the curbs in my chair - there are NO lowered curbs outside the hotel so take a ramp! The lifts are tight but useful. In my room the grab rails were sucker-fixed meaning there are NO fixed rails anywhere in the room. I could not get to the wardrobe or side tables or the television remote as the bed is too close to the walls for a chair to fit down either side. When I left on both mornings I couldn't get passed the hostess trollies used by housekeeping and both times had to ask for assistance to get to the lifts. On night 2 I tried to use the pool which was a complete disaster. I had to request from reception permission to go down the lift to the spa ... Able bodied persons do not have to ask they simply use the stairs! Then I found that the changing rooms po and saunas are located within a maze of steps and stair cases. How this hotel advertises itself as accessible is beyond me. Nothing is accessible without an able bodied companion or carer!! My stay was one big nightmare. If you are in a wheel chair this hotel is not the place to stay!!

• Stayed August 2013
crownspahotel, Manager at The Crown Spa Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are constantly looking at ways to improve the hotel and accessibility is always high on our list of priorities.

• When the council put the drop curbs on the street they were placed at either end of the road, we have complained on more than one occasion that we feel there should be a drop curb in the drop off zone only to be told that the funding has now run out. We do have two portable ramps that we put out when requested by customers.

• We have now fitted new fixed rails in all bathrooms to aid accessibility in bathrooms and place a water diverter with hand shower in all rooms with walk in showers.

The hotel is a very old building and we do all that is practicable with regards to accessibility we have managed to create an environment that is easily accessible in the public areas but the pool and spa still offer some challenges that we are constantly looking for solutions for.

The lift is next to the reception and it is a simple task of asking for the diversion button to be switched over by one of the staff and not a case of asking for permission, we have staff on hand 24 hours a day to help both able bodied and customers with accessibility needs.

Chester-le-Street, Co. Durham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in June 2013 and I was reminded to post a review having booked into the Grand which, despite the name, is at the other end of the scale to the Crown Spa. Didn't see the Spa itself, and it was only a one night stay, but it was comfortable and the room was large with a telescope available to survey the night sky. Much of the carpet was wet and we couldn't work out the source of the problem, but it was a good stay, breakfast in the morning was plentiful and varied, and the car park round the back of the hotel was convenient though a little crowded so care required in manouvring. Not so good if you don't like walking and and down hills (though there is a cliff lift to the seaside), this is a good and improving hotel in stark contrast to some of the other hotel offerings in the town.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and think that the damp carpet may have been from being cleaned after a previous customer may have smoked in the room.

Kapaa, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on 8th/9th August. It had a lovely feel to it. The rooms were small but modern and big enough for us and the bathroom was lovely, with mood lighting. The staff were friendly and we had a lovely stay. I'm gluten free and had the continental breakfast. The choice was huge, from different breads and crackers, a choice of free from cereals, biscuits etc.
We would stay here again.

Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review. I am delighted that we were able to fulfil your dietary needs, there are a lot of great products available that we are more than happy to purchase especially if we have notice before a visit.

David Chambers / Operations Manager

Been to The Crown Spa Hotel? Share your experiences!