“one of best hotels/restaurants I have ever experienced on a budget” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Wrea Head Hall

DB&B + Cream Tea £64.95
Ranked #1 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Durham, United Kingdom
“one of best hotels/restaurants I have ever experienced on a budget”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2011

My wife and I had a lovely 5 night stay here half board just before Easter. The whole experience was a pleasant surprise...on an extremely low budget for such a good hotel - where do I start - old wood panelled hotel with lovely country surroundings. 3 course meal included in (previous) Michelim award restaurant - the food was to a very high standard and a good choice of great English food. The atmosphere was good and we got friendly with a few other guests as well.

Only negative which slight blighted the otherwise great experience was one particular senior member of staff who was somewhat terse with us and on one occaision left me stunned when she shared a completely sexist (anti-male) comment with my wife and another lady while I was present - perhaps she didn't realise that as a man myself I might feel slightly offended?

That excepted I wholeheartedly recommend a visit to this hotel and would indeed return myself especially if we could secure as good a deal again.

whgm, General Manager at Wrea Head Hall, responded to this review, May 8, 2011
Dear Friendly,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review after staying with us at Wrea Head Country House. Not only does it help other travellers, it also helps us to maintain and improve standards.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay, your kind comments are most welcome.

The senior member of staff infact is me. I am sad to read that you felt I was terse, on the contrary I strive to create a friendly warm atomosphere where guests can relax and feel at home, obviously on this occasion I failed. I do remember sharing a light hearted joke with your wife and another lady and thats all it was, a light hearted quip! at the time I thought you responded in a good way. If I thought at any time you were offended I would have apologised immediately. My comment was in no way intended to offend and I offer my profuse apology for offending you in this way. I can assure you that I am not anti sexist in the least, perhaps I have to think about my dry humour and maybe engage the brain at times!

Thank goodness I have not put you off totally, I look forward to welcoming you again to Wrea Head, and trust you will give me the opportunity to apologise in person.

Meanwhile my very best regards

Anne Hodgson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (322)
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Can't recommend this hotel highly enough. Beautiful setting in a lovely village with two
cracking pubs. The room was excellent and the hotel is lovely and the food was SUPERB! We went on a deal with Travel Zoo which was great value. The staff are excellent,had a great laugh with Ann and Clive. It was one of the best hotels we have ever stayed in and cant wait to go back.

Worcester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

We were welcomed warmly and looked after in very friendly manner throughout our stay. This was a much needed break after a business trip to Leeds. The room was lovely, the food superb, and service excellent. We would definitely visit again. Thank you to all who made our stay special.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Sunderland, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

we booked the suite at a special Sunday evening rate and were delighted with the room, situated on the ground floor, the decor is superb and the room has a bose sound system and a huge lounge TV, a large bedroom TV and even a TV in the bathroom! the setting is quite lovely, beautiful gardens. Indeed we sat in the garden hoping to have a drink but alas no staff seemed to be around to provide it either there or in the bar. Dinner was not as advertised - we had been led to believe from other reviews and sample published menus that a high end restaurant is available at the hotel, however we received a very basic menu indeed, e.g. creamed tomato soup/a handful of prawns on some lettuce were typical starters, followed by a very limited range of main courses, and were not told that choosing a cheese dessert would incur an additional £8 surcharge which for basic cheese and actually quite stale biscuits just isnt on. If 'the deal' for a discounted Sunday special means that the standard menu is replaced by a very basic one why not make customers aware of this in advance - or at least, in the room information? the in-room information implied that a full menu was available, and that inclusive guests could have a £27.50 allowance towards this - but this wasnt available.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
whgm, Manager at Wrea Head Hall, responded to this review, May 5, 2011
Dear Cag65,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review, constructive feed back helps us to maintain and improve standards.

I too, am disappointed that you did not fully enjoy your stay with us. I really can not understand why staff were unavailable to provide you with bar service, as a normal rule they walk the grounds asking if guests would like any drinks from the bar! I can only apologise that this did not happen at the time.

Our menu currently changes on a daily basis and offers a good 3 course choice with an additional supplement for Cheese - 3 types offered @ £5.95 - 5 @ £7.95, this is usually indicated at the back of the menu folder. It is rare that guests do not enjoy dinner as you can see most reviews describe the food as "superb" I apologise again for not meeting your expectations.

I have spoken to staff concerned regarding your various points and assure you we have taken them very seriously.

I do hope you make a return visit to give us the opportunity to show you our true hospitality!

I look forward to welcoming you sometime in the future.

Kindest regards

Anne Hodgson
Wrea Head Country House Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We found a Travelzoo offer for the Wrea Head Hotel on a convenient date and took advantage of a two-night stay. We were very impressed with the standard of service and friendliness of the staff. The dinner menu was different each evening providing for meat, fish and vegetarian tastes.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

We booked this hotel for a short break over the Easter period and found it to be one of the best hotels we have stayed in. An elegant country house surrounded by endless scenery and breathtaking views across the Yorkshire countryside. Excellent accomodation with great food. The general manager Ann, and her staff were very helpful and pleasant; special thanks to Lizzie and Clive for looking after us during their tour of duty. We recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Pontefract, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

Stayed for 2 days over Easter, basic rooms are adequate clean and our room looked like it had a new bathroom. The hotel is set in an elevated position with beautiful views of the countryside. The service from the staff was excellent, friendly curtious and prompt. Our waitress Lissy could not do enough for us nothing was too much trouble, infact all the staff were great and a credit to there manager Ann. Theres many places to sit and relax in this hotel including a libary and conservatory. The food in the restaurant is first class. Drinks can be a little expensive but there was an happy hour 4.30 to 5.30 pm with half price drinks.
Scarborough is an hours walk. Theres two good pubs in the village, the Nags Head serves a selection of real ales.
I would recommend this hotel and would like to thank Ann and her staff for fantastic stay at the Wrea Head.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Wrea Head Hall? Share your experiences!