“Can they sustain it?” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Scarborough, England
“Can they sustain it?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

At present, this is an exceptional restaurant by local, regional or national standards. Top food (delicious stuffed pasta and sauces, sweets to die for), excellent service (love the buzzers to summon attention!), romantic atmosphere, fine house wine and reasonable prices. Ideal setting for a special occasion. Scarborough has had other excellent restaurants, though rarely as reasonably priced as this. Disappointingly, their quality has often faded. There is an impressive simplicity and unpretentiousness about CoGoni's, which is as striking as its excellence. We have found it very consistent. These factors suggest its pre-eminence could continue. We certainly hope so!

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

95% Recommend
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013 via mobile

We done out a great deal and were very much looking forward to this experience after seeing the reviews. Unfortunately I have to say it was a let down for us. We arrived early and when we first walked in everybody turned and looked at us like we had 2 heads, once they knew we had a booking it was fine and we had out drink. We looked through the menu which was fine and I wanted to change my accompanying veg or salad to cauliflower cheese. I was told this was not possible and that I get salad or veg- of which I said I didn't want either. I can understand that they have to plan portions, however when it did arrive the veg portions were huge and on the menu all sides were the same price- pedantic maybe but it did frustrate me for the sake of £2.95?! It was early and the place was very quite, but there was no atmosphere at all, we were sat at our table not poured water or serviettes placed and we had to request out wine and then pour it ourselves through the meal. The bread was really nice and had all 3 types. The starter was fine and the main of lamb was ok but the sauce I expected in a pouring jug was all over the food and ruined the lamb flavour. I was really looking forward to the fried ravioli but they had run out!! Given they make the ravioli fresh on site I was a little confused at that as we ate at 6? Overall it was average for us as we had believed all the hype reviews. I'd say it is worth going but have your expectations set right if you are used to excellent restaurants and service.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
tomchamp, Owner at CoGoni's Ristorante Italiano, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Dear Madam

Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your visit to our restaurant. And I’m very sorry that you felt disappointed with your visit.

Regarding the Reception........................................................................................................

The front of house team and me were surprised and confused with your comments regarding your first impressions on entering the restaurant. I would like to assure you that none of the team would ever look at a customer as if they had two heads. And I’m sorry you perceived our acknowledgement of you in this way.

Regarding changing your accompanying veg or salad to cauliflower cheese............................

We plate and prepare all our salad and vegetable side orders daily before service. These are all included in the price with your main course dishes. Unfortunately it would be very costly and impractical for us to offer a choice of 8 different side orders for every main course served and this would involve an Extra chef and high wastage. Hence the separate charge / service for additional items.

Regarding the Service of Water, Serviettes and Wine.........................................................

Our style of service aims to be friendly, polite but not too intrusive. We have complimentary ice cold water on the table at your discretion. And every bottle of wine (Regardless of price) is decantered at the table and poured to taste (I’m surprised that this was not mentioned in your review). Also regarding the napkins, when we first opened we did place them on the customers laps but due to complaints we stopped doing this. I’m afraid that the majority of customers do not like the classic style of service and prefer a more discreet and non-intrusive style (hence the service / pager buttons on the tables). If this was to all change next week I would obviously change the style of service that I provide but at the moment the feedback and majority of reviews do not reflect this.

Regarding the Fried ravioli……………………………………………………………………

My apologies regarding not having the Fried ravioli. We didn’t run out, it has been of the menu for over a week as we are still tweaking our new desert. This should have been cancelled and was a lack of communication and bad time management from myself. My apologies again

We do hope to see you again under better circumstances

Yours sincerely
Marco and the team
Barnsley, England, United Kingdom
“2nd review to keep it at the top of the pile.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We booked into CoGonis on Sat 2nd Feb to celebrate my birthday, after visiting last August and thoroughly enjoying every minute of our experience. We weren't disappointed 2nd time around either - ample amounts of fabulous food, attentive staff, and reasonable prices for such quality. Make sure you book, we booked a week in advance but couldn't get in until 8.45pm, and even though I was starving, and only eating a main course, I still couldn't manage a dessert. We visit Scarborough a couple of times a year, and we'll be making sure CoGonis is on our 'menu' every time we visit from now on.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great food - amazing steak!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

My fiancé and I ate here on a Friday night in Feb. We had never been before but went on recommendation...
We were not disappointed; the food was fantastic, particularly the fillet steak. It was a little pricier compared to other restaurants but worth the extra £.
Portion sizes were good too - more food than we could manage.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
scarborough
“Bloody lovely!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had been dying to go to Cogonis following brilliant reviews from all who've been so I was very excited! I went with my boyfriend for a birthday treat and it did not disappoint. We decided to share a starter and we went for the seafood platter! When it arrived we could not believe the size of it! Huge and absolutely gorgeous!! The waitress came round with a choice of fresh breads which were also divine but we were forced to stop with two pieces (although more was offered) to make room for our main. When our t bone steaks came out we were glad we stopped at two pieces! They were colossal, every bite was perfectly cooked and the sauces were amazing!! To top the evening off the service was excellent and we cannot wait to go back and sample more delights!!

• Visited January 2013