“RETURNING VISITOR” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Sandwiches, British, Tea Room, Soups
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Take a step back in time. . . Francis Tea Rooms is set in an original 1930's hairdressing salon, complete with wood-pannelled booths. It has an unique atmosphere with hand embroidered tablecloths and Art Deco vases. We serve Taylors coffee and a variety of their loose teas in vintage china. A varied menu of brunch, light lunches and afternoon teas is available as well as a large selection of homemade cakes, tray bakes and scones. Our specialities are Homemade Soups, Welsh Rarebits, Quiches and Traditional Afternoon Teas. Our own recipe scones, lemon meringue pie and fresh fruit almond cakes earned us a place in The Guardians Top Ten Budget Eats - Yorkshire Coast 2010.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“RETURNING VISITOR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Found myself in sunny Scarborough last week, yes it was sunny, and of course I had to visit my favourite Tea Room. In fact I went 3 times, there is nowhere better to enjoy tea. Brad and Sarah are such lovely owners and never too busy to have a chat even though they seemed very busy. Brad introduced me to a new Egyptian Tea called Moringa, since I love herbal teas it was a delight.He seems to know all his teas and said he tries them all. Another great favourite of mine is the Lady Grey which I had never heard of. I had quiche and salad and was spoilt for choice with the the variety and it was beautiful. Of course I went back twice before I left being and being a person who frequents cafe etc. I have found nowhere better than Francis Tea Rooms.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Just popped in”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

Went up to Scarborough for Armed Forces Day and and fancied a cuppa so it had to be Francis, my wife and I were remembered by by the owners and despite only wanting a pot of tea each we were more than welcome to sit in one of the charming booths that are used for Afternoon Tea etc. Oops missed out that my wife could not resist some beautiful home baked cake with her tea.

I has become a family 'must' to visit these tearooms if we are in or around Scarborough, looking forward to our next visit.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing home made cakes!! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

This tearoom was lovely today. We visited after reading the reviews on here. They were very good with our 5 month old. We loved the afternoon tea with loose tea poured through a strainer. The staff were extremely friendly! Be aware the address is correct but when you click on the map (through trip advisor) it takes you to the wrong place. We only found it by luck today as we walked past a sign advertising the tea rooms.

Dunoon, United Kingdom
“Just Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Decided to visit the tearoom today after reading the reviews on here. Can't fault it. Staff super helpful and friendly. Very accommodating to my two young children. Loved the setting, with customers having their own private booths. It was like stepping back in time sipping tea from the lovely china teacups. Food was delicious and very reasonably priced. Hoping to find time to return before the end of our holiday. If your going to Scarborough this tearoom is a must!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
“Well worth seeking out .....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Came across this completely by chance, although it was spotting their (strategically placed) chalk board, around lunch time, on the Esplanade on South Cliff that prompted further investigation.

Unique is a word often bandied about but in this case is being used correctly. The food is good - limited choice; sufficient for a lunchtime snack - but all home made (the divine cheesecake had just been finished), including the sparkling water, and served in a friendly manner that does justice to the unique setting; namely a 1940's hairdressing salon, with period mahogany (?) panelled cubicles with etched glass that afford for a private eating experience, and enthusiastic attentive proprietors.

I opted for the soup (in summer?) while my colleague tried two of the who made savoury tarts with copious amounts of salad. Excellent choices that did not disappoint. Vintage mismatched crockery, linen table cloths, and confectionery (that you were encouraged to eat, without charge) on the table in old fashioned sundae dishes were a natural continuation of the experience. The proprietor, in recounting the history of the building, then showed an original invoice(this was clearly an establishment for the well heeled) and a 1940's ration book that completed the nostalgia fest.

The cakes couldn't be missed; having made our choice (three between the two of us) it was "washed down" with Yorkshire Tea, although there were at least twenty other varietals on offer.

All in all a "sensibly priced" menu of great home-made food complimented the unique surroundings to make for a truly memorable experience. A venue off the beaten track but "well worth seeking out", and a reason in itself to visit Scarborough!