“afternoon tea , who needs claridges this is perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 279 restaurants in Scarborough
Cuisines: British, Tea Room, Soups, Sandwiches
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations, Delivery
Description: Take a step back in time. . . Francis Tea Rooms is set in an original 1930's hairdressing salon, complete with wood-pannelled booths. It has an unique atmosphere with hand embroidered tablecloths and Art Deco vases. We serve Taylors coffee and a variety of their loose teas in vintage china. A varied menu of brunch, light lunches and afternoon teas is available as well as a large selection of homemade cakes, tray bakes and scones. Our specialities are Homemade Soups, Welsh Rarebits, Quiches and Traditional Afternoon Teas. Our own recipe scones, lemon meringue pie and fresh fruit almond cakes earned us a place in The Guardians Top Ten Budget Eats - Yorkshire Coast 2010.
Scarborough, United Kingdom
“afternoon tea , who needs claridges this is perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Afternoon tea value for money and in a unique place with great service. Soup lovely too. Everyone should visit.

• Visited February 2013

93% Recommend
“Me and my son are smiling like cheshire cats after gorging on tea and food lovelyness. Truely heaven sent.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Just when my faith in other peoples tastes, skills etc were reaching a point of abandonment. We found this lovely venue. All is not lost people. If you ever visit Scarborough go here. If you live here and haven't yet been, go and get your shoes on right now. Less than a tenner for a large pot of loose leaf Yorkshire tea, a large pot of hot choc with all the trimmings, a good size warm scone and the heavenly cheese, potato and bacon bake. GORGEOUS. See you all next weekend.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
“The service is excellent, I felt like Lord Grantham on my visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is a delightful tea room. Going into Francis Tea Rooms is rather like going back in time. You will be shown to your own private booth, where the table is already set for tea. A pretty embroidered tablecloth is covered with elegant teacups and saucers. The centrepiece is a jar of midget gems, which are there for your enjoyment.
Francis have scrumptious cakes and scones, and an impressive food menu too.
The service is excellent, I felt like Lord Grantham on my visit.
I’m going back soon for the afternoon tea special at £6.50.
Highly recommended.

• Visited January 2013
Scarborough, England, United Kingdom
“A true gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We went to Francis today for the first time since the new owners took over and were very happy we did. It was always quaint but now it's far better than ever before. The afternoon tea was delicious with masses of sandwiches and some lovely homemade cakes. It's great value, great food and a great place to go.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
“This is the perfect tearooms & I love it!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

I managed to squeeze in two visits to the Francis tearooms when I was in Scarborough just before Christmas and I loved them both. The first visit was for breakfast (hot buttered crumpets & locally made preserves) which was a great start to my day, tucked away in one of the ornate wooden booths. The second time I went back was later in the day and I had a lovely bowl of home made oxtail soup with warm crusty bread, it was divine. The shop had a lovely Christmasy feel to it, was cosy and warm and I was made to feel completely at home. This place is truly one of those gems that you feel very privileged to have found.

• Visited December 2012