“Very Disappointing” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Malton, United Kingdom
“Very Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

We have dined at The Coachman for a number of years, initially when it was owned and run by the Osborne family. In 2009 they left for a new venture in the Algarve ( see Birds Nest, Algarve) taking with them key staff Kay, Iain & Samantha. Since then things have never been the same at The Coachman by way of quality of the food or service.
My wife and I decided to try it once again for Sunday Lunch. When we arrived there was nobody available at the reception or bar and we had to summon for attention. We were given the menu, but no mention was made about any 'specials' that we understood later were available. When we went into the restaurant we felt it was distinctly lacking in atmosphere and somewhat chilly.

We both opted for the Vegetable Soup, with warm bread & butter. The soup was fine but the bread was not warm and not particularly fresh. The butter was rock hard. For the main course my wife opted for the traditional Roast Beef, whilst I had the Roast Turkey. My wife was not asked how she would like the beef done and it turned out to be well done - not really to her liking. My Roast Turkey was quite dry and tasteless. The vegetables were plated. Both meals were warm rather than hot.

At this stage we decided to call it a day - another disappointing meal.

At least the cost was very reasonable, although we would rather pay a little extra for quality of food and service.

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Grantham, United Kingdom
“Great food and service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We called in here one lunchtime without a reservation. The staff were very welcoming and helpful and were able to accomodate us with no problems.

The Coachman is in a nice country location, and although it is perhaps a little dated, it has a certain old fashion appeal.

There was a good menu offering variety and reasonable value for money. The food was really nice presented and good quality - it was obvious that time and care had been taken to prepare our meals. I had steak, and it was a nice cut piece of meat. If I had to remark on anything I would say that it was a little overcooked for the medium I had asked for (more like medium-well), but I enjoyed it all the same. I also had my two children with me (7 & 3) and they were very accomodating with both the food offered and service.

One other thing; the cheese platter offered for dessert is also very much worth having!

All in all, a good experience and I know we will eat here again and would recommend it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Fabulous Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

We were on holiday in Yorkshire, and found this gem of a restaurant through trip advisor. Upon arrival we had drinks in the lounge, and were then taken to our table in the truly beautiful dining room. The food was exquisite, just the right size portions as to be able to eat three courses. The service was impeccable, with our waiter Adrian even knowing how to and making a brilliant long island iced tea, not something you would expect from a small village restaurant. This was a perfect meal and evening, due to the beautiful decor, welcoming and attentive service, and exquisite food. What a delight!!

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“food glorious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

well were do i start, iv eaten here but only in the bar, and the food was great then, so this time i though i would try the restaurant, WOW... is what i can say, as a foody i can say the chef as got the blend of local produce and the exotica just right, from start to finish, the food never missed a beat.
they say the last thing you remember is your pud!!!. " school Days " thinking outside the box with this one, spotted dick, chocolate concrete, rice pudding, b&b pudding, pink custard, superb!!!

Leeds, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Food compliments to the chef”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

Returned for a 2 night stay the food was great and well presented in the lovely dining room.
Chef please could we have the recipe for the delicious fruit cake served with the cheese board.
Staff were lovely and a big thank you to David for being so pleasant and attentive.
Our rooms were lovely stylish and very comfortable couldn`t have asked for more.
We took a friend with us for this stay annd she was delighted with everything.
Hoping to return in the near future.