“No more than average.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Scarborough
Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel
You added Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel to your Saves list
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   St Nicholas Cliff, Scarborough YO11 2EU, England   |
Ranked #23 of 28 Hotels in Scarborough
Bristol, United Kingdom
“No more than average.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed for just the one night on the weekend of the 1st October and we did book earlier that week so at £94 this was a little steep. The hotel itself was set in a nice building, which is something different from a regular travelodge. It was in good walking distance from all the 'delights' Scarborough has to offer and probably had a nice sea view if you had a front facing room.

The room itself was spacious, the bed was pretty awful and squeaked whenever you moved on it and the room itself was unbelievably warm. There was no remote control for the television which was irritating. We got woken up probably about 5 times during the course of the evening by men and women in varying states of inebriation. Which is fine but I was pretty tired and it was as if they were having a party in the hallway which is also fine but would be nice if the hotel staff bothered to tell them to shut up at least once or perhaps even put up one of those 'Shh' signs hotels seem to generally favour.

On using the shower and moving the shower rail back, my partner received a pretty bad electric shock from the rail itself which was kind of unnerving, and the bathroom had absolutely no ventilation which heated the entire room up to sauna standards.

The staff were nice enough, if not a little slow on occassion and breakfast was pretty travelodge standard, i.e. poor. There were literally no knives. On asking if there would be knives at some point during the morning I had a rushed reply from staff who probably didn't care anyway. So I cut my beans on toast with a spoon. There were only two guys working the breakfast room at the time and this clearly wasn't enough. Another couple had to wait upwards of ten minutes for a table, which is kind of obscene. In terms of the food itself, according to my partner the sausages "tasted like sick" and the selection of stale croissants and horrific scrambled eggs were not worth even close to the extra £9 each we paid on top of the already overpriced hotel room.

This was, for me, a last resort hotel as there was nothing else in the area at short notice. Sounds bad but I longed for the Premier Inn around the corner.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
York, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Stayed for one night in a family room with wife and two children and found it to be as expected, a no frills hotel with the usual wake up call from a group of lads at 2.30am! You really can't complain to be honest at the price paid it provided a large room with very comfortable bed. The rooms were clean and the staff helpful. It's position is handy for South Bay and the town.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

On this occasion foul! Ive stayed in travelodges before and they are what they are, a budget hotel. I think if I was on a stag do with a load of mates it would have been fine. However, I was with the misses and the room we got was dirty, carpet covered in doghairs, what looked like "harry monk" on the shower walls, skids in the toilet, damp in the wall and paper peeling off, rusty radiator. We asked for another room but were told it wasn't possible to move. So we ended up going across the road to the Gran Hotel which had an offer of £25 per room. Much nicer and cheaper too!
On a plus side the travelodge did have key cards that worked and if you are there to go on the lash then its a great central location. Just very grotty if you want a night away with the mrs.
Your choice.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

What else do you need?. This Travelodge is in a perfect location, it is clean, the food was well cooked and plentiful with a good choice for breakfast.(Children eat free). The staff were friendly and helpful. I am disabled and managed perfectly well, parking is free (if you can find a place) for an unlimited time using a disabled badge. We were given a 'room with a sea view' which was much appreciated. The lift down to the promenade is only a short walk across the road. Go and see for yourself it was a pleasant break which didn't cost a fortune.

Room Tip: The staff are actively working to ensure you are comfortable and too keep noise down to an absolute...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
cleveland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

went for a girlie night away , arrived at 2pm parked the car and made our way to the hotel hoping that maybe our rooms would be ready , told by the polite receptionist that although our room was ready we were unable to check in until 3pm unless we paid £10 for the privilege , as we were only staying for the 1 night and the hotel dosen't have anywhere to store your bags we paid this fee so that we could make the most of our weekend and not have to hang around for an hour waiting ( every other person that was in front of us in the que also paid this so they were onto a winner as people didn't have any other choice ) got to our room which on first impressions was dark , cold , unattractive and possibly the worst view I have ever seen ( overlooking an old rooftop covered in take-away cartons ) but had clean bedding , and refreshment tray . we paid £39 per room which when we sat and thought about it was very good value for a central seaside resort hotel , if I had paid anymore for the hotel I would have been most disappointed , One couple who we spoke to in reception had paid a massive £96 for the room which I thought was disgusting as they could have stayed in a 4* hotel including breakfast for probably less . Overall the standard of the hotel was pretty poor , its in need of a good lick of paint inside and outside and a with a bit more TLC , would be a great hotel in an brilliant location , would stay again but only if the room was £39 or less , anything more and I would rather stay in a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Originally looking for a few days away and didn't want to spend too much money - we thought travelodge would be a good option, BUT WE WERE WRONG. This is the dirtiest hotel I have stayed at and when raised with the gentleman at reception, we literally had no response!! He stood there and just looked at me. Our bed was not made, coffee and sugar not replaced, dirty towels taken but not replaced, dirty cups not replaced, large paint chips on the Walls and dirty marks in the bathroom (you can imagine what caused these without me saying). I won't go on as I am just so disappointed with the lack of pride from all employees. I may just write to the head office and include the pictures I took. The only positive is the incredible location and views.

• Stayed September 2011
Worksop, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

Anyone who has used UK Travelodges will know to expect a reasonable amount of space and reasonable standards of cleanliness, and both were evident here. The hotel has an excellent central location - but that brings with it the disadvantage of no on-site parking. There are alternatives nearby (at a cost, of course).

Unlike most Travelodge properties, this is in a very old building - possibly an hotel - that has been modified to approximate to usual Travelodge style. Much of the building appears to be original with simply light coloured paint applied. There is, for example, a massive antique mirror on one of the staircases.

Standard rates vary but at the time of our visit were around GBP52 per night. Given the total lack of "niceties" that is standard Travelodge practice, that seems excessive. I'd imagine the nearby Premier Inn offers far more comfortable surroundings at a similar rate.

One thing I really can't endure is a bed that slopes downwards to the head. The uneven floor in this old building made mine do exactly that and consequently I did not sleep at all well.

I have become disenfranchised with Travelodge recently and this stay did nothing at all to reverse that view. They seem to want ever increasing rates for ever reducing standards. As with everything, it's about value rather than either cost or standard in isolation, and the value here was not good in my opinion.

Stay elsewhere - at the nearby Premier Inn if "lodge"-style accomodation is your choice.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Scarborough St Nicholas Hotel? Share your experiences!