Having just returned from a short family break (4 nights), we can highly recommend the Maynard Hotel - Thank you very much Stuart and Angelia for your hospitality - the stay was very enjoyable and we felt very comfortable throughout the break.
Like you are doing now, we reviewed Trip Advisor and based on the other reviews and availability (a cancellation), we booked this hotel, so my review summary is (in no particular order):
* A well stocked bar and reasonably priced.
* Very clean throughout the whole hotel
The bedlinen was crisp white
The towels are changed as and when (but as in most hotels, you are encouraged to get a couple of days out of them)
The rooms are cleaned every day
* Our room (10) was massive - a shower, double wardrobe, a queen size bed (2 singles together) AND 2 additional single beds for the kids, oh AND a leather settee in the bay window.
* Breakfast was very well cooked and presented - Cerials, Fruit Juice, Toast and a Full English (or combinations of any item depending on your liking.)
* We didnt get chance to sample the evening meal however i can only imagine it will be very nice.
* Lounge area with plenty of seating including a Playstation2 with a selection of games for the kids (or big kids!).
* The location of the hotel is at the bottom end of the south bay, so a 15 - 30 min walk to 'the strip'. The Spa complex and cliff lift is just at the bottom of the road, £2.10 for a family ticket down the lift and £6 for a family bus trip down to the harbour area.. Taxi ride - approx £5 to harbour.
* Car parking is on the street, council zoned but charged by the hotel at a very reasonable price - £2 for 4 days but that was just for the 3L zone (suggest you google the council website for the zone areas).
All in all, I highly recommend the Maynard Hotel - as the title says, nothing is too much trouble for Stuart and Angelia - if theres something you want or need, just ask.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.