“A Curates Egg” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Newbury, United Kingdom
“A Curates Egg”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We ate here in October this year, despite not having a reservation they found us a table at the window, we then attempted to have a drink at the bar before eating only to have the waiter march up to us and demand to know what we had chosen to eat, I felt it an opportune moment to remind him we hadn't seen a menu yet at which point he gave us a menu and hovered there with his pad at the ready. The room was uncomfortably warm and airless which was a shame as the food (which came quickly) was great. I ordered a ribeye and it was tender, well cooked and delicious and served with the nicest chips I've ever had, all scorching hot (and yes we were warned not to touch the dishes) I had a glass of the house wine which was presentable and ended up not being able to eat all the serving, a great steak meal. Overall I would say "come for the food not the service or the ambiance" That said I would eat there again but would ask for a window to be opened. Shame there weren't any French reds on the menu but that seems to be the trend nowadays so I shouldn't complain, perhaps I'm just a wine snob! A little more customer friendly and I would have rated it very good. Would I eat there again? you betcha!

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Emmy006, Owner at Pyne's at The Bedford Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with some valuable feedback. We are very pleased that you enjoyed your meal and especially liked the chips! I can only apologise that you found the bar and restaurant uncomfortably warm, and that the waiter hovered while you were choosing from the menu. I will certainly look in to the couple of issues that you have mentioned. We are glad to hear that you would eat here again and would look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

“Lack of attention to detail”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Dining area very hot and stuffy - first waiter unhelpful when enquiry made about air con or opening a window. I was told customers near the windows complain if there opened. Second waiter observed my attempts at a make shift fan and offered to switch on a ceiling fan.

Food menu arrived and when the waiter arrived to take order had to be asked for wine list.

Food very average - service poor, it felt more like a fast food outlet not a hotel restaurant.

Would not recommend this restaurant to friends and will not eat here again.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Lunch very good, service not as good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I thought I would have a Sunday lunch with a friend at the Bedford. It did not feel part of the hotel and the waiter appeared to know what he was doing but did no know how to aerate the building on a hot day and did not remember my sugar - due to having gotten the glass for my friend's wine wrong after she was precise as to what glass she wanted.
Another waiter however offered to turn the ceiling fan on and luckily one of the guests opened a window - phew!
Lunch as I said was good and the value was good.
Would not return however.

• Visited September 2012
London
“Not Just Food In A Bar”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

This bar is in The Beford Hotel. It offers relaxed dining in up market surroundings. It's had a make over in the last couple of years and the look is traditional but trendy and even mid-week there is a bit is a buzz. The menu has standards you would expect but there is a specials fish board.

I had a crab and coconut fritter starter served with watercress and tomatoe salad, and garlic mayo. My partner had ravioli porcini served with a butter sauce - both were good. Presentation was excellent. For mains I had mussels with bread, my partner had tagliatelle with bolognaise sauce. We both agreed satisfying. The service was good but it would have been even better if staff had checked on desserts or further drinks. A relaxed evening - recommended.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
North yorkshire
“Very acceptable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Ate here with friends who were staying at the hotel. It is a very popular restaurant. We sampled lasagne, pie of the day, lemon sole and lamb. All of which were good, no complaints, in fact better than ewe had expected. The vegetables were good too, which is always a bonus to me. Does what it says on the tin as a hotel restaurant.

• Visited August 2012