“Relaxing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Sidmouth
Fareham, United Kingdom
“Relaxing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I visited with a friend for morning coffee and tea cake. It's always relaxing in their lounge area - good sea views and old people snoozing in the comfortable chairs and settees! A typical English country house hotel. Easy parking.

Room Tip: Just enjoy the olde world atmosphere.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I have been visiting the Victoria for more than 25 years and sadly they are slowly chipping away at what used to be a wonderful hotel. Sunday lunch was always a treat but the fish course has been scrapped and it's now 2 slices of beef as opposed to 3 which it has ALWAYS been. Removing courses from the menu and cutting back on portions does not help to ensure repeat business. Please don't lose sight of the things that used to help make the Victoria so special and keep it head and shoulders above the competition!

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Garden of England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The Victoria Hotel is a decent hotel and I dont have any real complaints about staying there - but only because someone else was picking up the bill!

I would never choose to spend my own money on staying here as there isnt anything that special enough to warrant paying over £200 per night for a standard double room.

The service in the hotel is pretty good, though having recently been to a meal in a 5 star restaurant, I found that the service in the restaurant whilst being OK was certainly not wow.
The food was nicely cooked and there is a good choice of food - but again I thought it was expensive compared to other restaurants with Rosettes.
Equally on the restaurant it does say that Jackets are meant to be worn during dinner - but thankfully whilst I wore mine down to dinner I did take it off during the meal and no-one came and told me off! As eating with a jacket on is not the most enjoyable experience.

The room was nicely maintained and felt like it wasnt done on the cheap, and the same could be said for the bathroom which was spotlessly clean. It certainly wasnt a hardship being in the room but it wasnt spacious or anything to massively write home about.
I would describe it as being a good quality room - but I have stayed in many places where you get a room which is as good if not better for under half the cost, and they werent all in places you wouldnt want to visit.

The other comment I would make is that this hotel is definitely full of old people who seem to spend most of the day sitting around in the lounge. Again there is nothing wrong with this, but just a word of note for those who are thinking of coming here.

So all in all it was fine for us - but only because we werent paying and I definitely would not return at the prices they currently charge due to a lack of anything to make me go wow that was worth the extra money.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
emmm from Cov
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

My family and I have used Brend Hotels for some years. The Victoria is my favourite so far, (though the Saunton Sands looks wonderful for a Summer holiday). I needed a break and went for three nights last week. As usual the standard of service was exemplary. I was welcomed into the building by the doorman in tail coat with gold braiding. Not essential but so nice. As I introduced myself, I was informed that I had been given an upgrade, from a single room to a double. The price of £94 per night seemed a bargain considering it included a full English breakfast, and then a five course Dinner. (Gents must wear a jacket and tie for dinner.) I do, however have one gripe, which is the price of the wine in the restaurant/bar. £8.50 for a 250 ml glass of Chardonnay makes for an expensive few days if you want a glass in the bar then another in the restaurant. But £3.99 for malt whisky afterwards seems reasonable. I should mention that the winter warmer deal included two course lunch on one day and a very pleasant bottle of Australian sparkling wine. The band playing for dinner are quite accomplished and the diners applaud appropriately. Every other night the pianist plays, equally good. Unfortunately they can't do much for the weather. I decided, on the second day to go back to the hotel in the afternoon, and spent it in the warm swimming pool, jaccuzzi and sauna. Wonderful. There's a great pool area for the summer outside. The staff are very friendly and helpfull. During the winter, extra parking in the tennis courts. Most of the rooms have a sea view (not all). Unlike on the continent, alchohol is not allowed around the pool. There should be a pool side bar, or waiter service. We are too obsessed with H&S.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. Some single rooms have balconies.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Polegate, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Out of all the Brind chain of hotels which are based in the West Country, The Victoria is, just, our favourite. This is not to decry any of the others, we have stayed at most of them. In all cases it is hard to fault any one of them, ambience, staff, cleanliness, food are all outstanding. Although it may appear so, we are not members of the Brind family or part of their organisation. Incidentally the actual Brind family are always much involved and attend many of the very well organised excursions. We went the first time on a reccomendation, so pleased we did.

Room Tip: Go for a sea view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Another of the Brend 'Specials'! Immaculate decor, clean spacious room with delightful sea view, food of the highest quality and cooked perfectly, presented and served majestically. Staff that are polite, friendly, helpful and all smartly attired. A truly lovely experience that is well worth the prices charged. Highly recommended. Sidmouth is a small but pleasant town and has some excellent shops, plus a fine promenade for that exhilarating stroll.

Room Tip: Third floor with sea view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Our first stay at The Victoria was to celebrate our birthdays this week. We couldn't have made a better choice. The stay was a wonderful experience from the moment we were welcomed on our arrival, until our departure.
Our room had a side view of the sea and was not enormous, but beautifully appointed and immaculately clean.
Every member of staff we came in contact with was pleasant, helpful and obviously enjoyed working at The Victoria. Their sense of pride in the hotel was clear to see.
Dining in the restaurant was most enjoyable, the food was beautifully cooked and presented. While we were there we had a pianist, and also a quartet of excellent musicians, playing during the meal and this, too, enhanced the dining experience.
The Victoria has all the charm of an old world hotel, but with a modern twist. I would recommend a stay there to anyone looking for something special.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
BrendHotels, Area Director at Victoria Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Thank you for your review of The Victoria Hotel after your recent stay with us. It was most reassuring to read all of your comments from your first visit with us, and to see that you were pleased with your room, our food and our staff, including the pianist and our resident band. It is always most rewarding for all the staff to read these comments.

Thank you again for taking the time to write your review and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Victoria Hotel in the future.

Been to Victoria Hotel? Share your experiences!