“Con artists would never stay again” 1 of 5 stars

Baylis House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stoke Poges Lane, Slough SL1 3PB, England   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Bradford
“Con artists would never stay again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

Recently stayed at the Baylis whilst working in the area. We told reservations we would be cancelling 2 rooms - with about 18 hrs notice they still charged us. Most hotels have a by 2pm deadline policy - not this one - 24 hours notice with no flexibility. Had drinks at their bar and was told they had no money in the till could they charge it to a card - we agreed only to find out at the end of the night they also added a 10% charge - and wouldn't refund that. To top it all off the place is noisy and the hot water is hit and miss. The place is run by con artists and our company will certainly never stay again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Surrey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

I recently booked a night here due to attending a function they had organised and it was my third wedding anniversary and thought it would be nice to treat my partner......

Upon arrival the building looked great, got to reception and the service was appauling, first they could not find the paperwork, second the lady did not offer to show us to our room and thirdly she gave us the wrong room number!!!!!!

The room which was supposed to be a double room had a kingsize single in it, the floor had not been hoovered, the walls were heavily scuffed and marked! There was so much dust all over the tv and its wires, the bed sheets were marked and the toilet had no loo roll supplied!!!!!

I made a complaint and was told nothing could be done and no other rooms were available and the manager was not currently available! So me and my partner decied to get on and enjoy the evening, the venue was good, but the bar was awful, serving warm beer and wine and giving the wrong change on a number of occasions!!!!!

After the night ended i decided to leave and book into the Marriot just down the road and am glad i did so as this was much more pleasant and the service was second to none.

Please be aware of Baylis House, i am not a proffesional moaner and never have grumbled with poor quality hotels but this was beyond a joke and words can not describe the state of the place!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

they pictures on there web site make the hotel look very grand, but in fact you are housed in outbuildings away from the main hotel, we were supposed to have a "family room" that slept 4 people, what we got was a tiny room with 4 single beds cramed in to it in a line, it left no room in between beds and was like one big bed, we could not get the wardrobe doors open because the beds obstucted them.
when we eventually moved one of the beds to get to the wardrobe, we found the door was hanging off.
the carpets were filthy, the walls are painted taliban green, the room had the smell of indian cooking because of the close proximity to the restaurant.
the area it is located in is a crime hotspot, we left after the first night of a 7 day stay, and book a premier in next to chessington world of adventures,
STAY AWAY, UNLESS YOU LIKE A YOUTH HOSTEL TYPE ROOM THAT SMELLS OF COOKING FOR 4* PRICES.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
essex
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2009

we stayed here after going to legoland - the drive up to the hotel was lovely looked posh. we got to our room i wasnt sure as away from hotel , then i realised this place is used for functions and weddings etc, lovely grounds.

our room was nice 2 double beds tea coffee, plasma on wall, warm room. im used to hotels like ramarda or hilton or thistles, so was not to impressed at 1st as u have main hotel house then rooms away in another block but the grounds are so nice we walked around had a drink in the bar drinks are resonable price,

the hotel is close to all the attractions 13 mins from legoland, staff are friendly. 24 hour food sarnis etc, indian resturant on site and to room service till 10.30 drinks too.

for a cheep hotle no bad at all really. for a familly f 4 ---50 pounds is not bad x x x x x x

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2009

I stayed as I was working locally, the staff were courteous and friendly, I got a large upstairs room (2 double beds) room was clean and seemed recently painted, woodwork was a little tired and could do with attention. The hotel resturant is Indian and a real revelation, not the usual "curry house" dishes, didn't recognise half the menu but took advise from the waiter and recieved a delicious starter and lamb dish. If you like curry I would recommend a stay, if not, it's probably not for you as there is very little choice within walking distance.
There was a small event on the night I stayed which didn't affect me at all. Parking is good.
Overall a good place to stay ,slightly outside the town centre.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2008

my wife and i stayed here for two nights first night was ok, second night was terrible. There was a function on and the noise of people running up and down the corridoor outside our room was horrendous until the early hours. The breakfast was vile it was cold, sausage seemed uncooked and only cornflakes as a choice of cereal their was nobody there to tell you where to sit or help you. we didn,t even go for breakfast the next morning. The room was clean and tidy a bit small for a double no satilite tv had very limited channels and no plug for the bath, i would never stay here again.

• Liked — leaving
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
St Austell Cornwall
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2008

My Wife and I recently attempted to stay at this establishment,having booked some weeks earlier.We arrived early on the Sunday evening, having travelled some three hundred miles from Cornwall and first impressions sadly did not lie!

The entrance foyer area was grubby and untidy.Having been presented with my electronic room key and vague directions as to where I might find my room.I found the room and entered using the electronic room key,only to find a gentleman lying in the bed, another sitting on the bed,both watching TV!

I was embarressed and aplologised ,momentarily thinking that I had entered the wrong room by accident.On my way back from this annexe room to the reception area,my embarressment turned to anger,since it dawned on me that the electronic key could not have fitted another room.The receptionist confirmed that this was the correct key,but stated"There are no men in your room".Needless to say by the time we both returned to the room the offending parties had scarpered.
I asked to see the Duty Manager and was advised that he was in a meeting.I said I would wait. After some twenty minutes I asked how much longer I would need to wait and was told he would be "a very long time"
Since it became apparent that he not be putting in an appearance anytime soon,I left with my wife and luckily found another Hotel for the night.
There are no circumstances in which I would recommend anyone staying in this Hotel,since their attitude to customer service and security obviously stinks.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Non exisitent service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Baylis House? Share your experiences!