“Never stay at the Baylis” 1 of 5 stars

Baylis House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stoke Poges Lane, Slough SL1 3PB, England   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Never stay at the Baylis”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

After driving 200 miles from Manchester and working on a nearby construction site all day I was shattered. I drove up to the building and it looked impressive. I thought 'this looks like a nice place to stay' Things started to go downhill as I walked through the door. The reception desk was about 2 feet tall so I had to kneel on the floor to write down my particulars. I also FOOLISHLY paid for my room upfront (I am sure this is a tactic they use for first timers.....) One of the receptionists was spitting chewing gum into a tissue and on her mobile phone.
I was told where my room was (not offered an escort or porter even though I had loads of luggage). The room was nice but the bathroom fan was noisy and the toilet seat nearly falling off. Went to hang my coat up. No coat hooks. Looked for a desk or table to put my lap top on. NO desk/table, had to use the rickety phone stand.
I tried to connect to the WIFI but it failed to work, Called reception and they said they would fix it and would be working in 5 minutes. It wasn’t! This happened 3 times and in the end I figured it was never going to work, so I gave up calling reception. Therefore I was unable to any work that night.
I thought then I should have a bath. NO HOT WATER. I phoned reception and they said they would send a man down. After 30 minutes still no man. Phoned again told the same and you guessed it 30 minutes later still no man…….. Decided just to have a cold wash in the end….nice!!
I decided to go out to Windsor in the evening and before leaving I bumped into the duty manager. I asked him if he could guarantee there would be hot water in the morning. He said that he couldn’t guarantee it!!!
I went out for a few drinks and came back to my room a few hours later, only to be woken throughout the night by people outside my ground floor window and noisy people in the corridor and adjoining rooms. The walls are paper thin.
Woke up in the morning feeling crap and needed a shower. NO HOT WATER. I felt like trashing the place because I was so disgusted by the lack of hotel basics. Had breakfast, dry bacon, over cooked scrambled eggs, in-edible mushrooms and mushy baked beans, yuk. The tea was nice though. I left that morning never to return again. Anybody reading this please please do not stay there unless you have to.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel. This is a last resort only....
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Ian F, General Manager at Baylis House, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. Our guest responses allow us to analyse and improve on the service we offer.
I was disappointed to learn that we did not live up to our values on this occasion. We did have an issue with the boiler which has since been serviced and your points regarding Reception and breakfast have been fed back to the teams. We are also in the process of installing desks into our rooms as we fully appreciate the need for these, especially for our guests that are away from home, on business.
Kindest regards,
Ian

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

When I got in a taxi to go to this hotel the taxi driver said you will never stay there again. How right he was. There was no hot water for two days and when I complained was told some story about the pump not being switched on which funnily enough is the same complaint made by others on this site. Sounds like they just want to scrimp on hot water before 7 in the morning. I said I wanted a discount on my bill and was told the manager would call me to discuss. What is there to discuss no hot water, waive the dinner bill of £29.33 and it's finished. He left a message. As I was working that day I was not able to call back. Then because they couldn't contact me for 1 day took the money from my account. When I phoned to complain they said next time you come you can have a room upgrade but no offer to credit me the money back causing me to be an even more annoyed customer! I'd rather stay in a tent than go back there. Hot water is a pretty big deal a fundamental you expect.

The room was tiny like a shoe-box with a lovely view of a wall. The only + was the restaurant staff who were polite but no more than what you would expect.

So incompetent managers of the hotel I hope you think the £29.33 you took from my account was worth this review and all the people who won't stay at your hotel as a result. Shocking customer service and your repeat business must be 0%.

Room Tip: Don't stay there.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest, Thank you for your feedback and it was good to speak to you so we could agree on a resolution. Please accept my sincere apologies once again for the issues not being resolved at the time. I understand how frustrating it is not to have hot water.
regards,
Derbyshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was pleased with the Baylis when I first arrived as the setting and girls at reception were welcoming, walking to my Executive room through the old looking part of the building didn't bother me either as my part had been full refurbished recently.
This is where is started to go wrong, I first went to wash my hands and as the sink was too small for the tap it had I got jet washed all over my jeans and T-shirt, so thought I'd hang them up to dry but there was no heating in the room only cold air, these were my only trousers. I put the shower on and ran that for a while but after a few minutes of going back to it there was no hot water, turned shower off and though I'd wait but all night there wasn't hot water, even in the morning I expected there must be some but there wasn't, cold shower was horrible.
There were also long black hairs on one of the towels that I picked up and flushed down the toilet, I didn't use that towel.
I ordered room service as my jeans were still a bit wet, the food came and the chips were cold and the fish was wet inside the batter, I suspected it was frozen, it wasn't very nice especially for that price.
As it was getting later I decided it was time for bed although the bed was comfy there were more long black hairs to surprise me under the covers, it wasn't very nice pulling those sheets back and I also found a few red marks on the quilt cover that I hope was makeup, I felt my skin crawling and didn't fancy getting into the bed. I called reception and the guys came telling me it was all clean and the marks must of been from the laundry not cleaning well enough but he didn't have another cover to give me, "you'll have to just use it" then I showed him the black hairs, he said he'd have word with house keeping, but this didn't help me at this time. I fumigated as much as I could and slept on the clean part.
Next morning I had booked breakfast for £11 but when I got to the breakfast room I was told there were no eggs, the bacon and sausage also had burn bits from a dirty griddle stuck to them and I had to scrape them off to make it slightly edible. If I was the Chef, I would of sent someone out for eggs, there were many shops in this area.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review. Please accept our apologies for the poor standards you experienced. I am in no doubt that the sheets and towels were clean, but I understand how off putting finding hairs can be. Please allow me to assure you that we are working on the issues you describe. We are sourcing hair nets for the housekeeping team to wear and I have also spoken to the laundry company so they are aware. I hope that you will give us the opportunity to prove our standards and service to you, sometime in the future.
regards,
Hereford, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I will TRY to keep this as balanced as I can. I too am a business owner and appreciate if someone came to my Club on a bad day it might not be a 100% review - BUT I do really try to keep up my standards, customer care and SERVICE, and health & safety is paramount to me.
I arrived after a 160 mile journey in appalling weather - slating with rain, but had managed to remain dry. As soon as I got here it was pitch black and I couldn't see where I was going so walked right through a VERY deep puddle which went up to my shins. I discovered this morning the drainage hole was blocked. NO apology was made last night. The staff were under pressure as there had been an elecricity power failure which then lasted all night and I DID feel their pain. Luckily there were few visitors and no diners so it wasn't a total catastrophe. We laughed about it in the bar, and I enjoyed the staffs company. HOWEVER this laughter was short lived. WHY is there an emergency supply to the rooms but none to the reception (hence no server for the internet when I had work to do last night grr). But my main gripe is the fact that everything is seemingly done on the cheap. The wine was undrinkable, the coffee deadly bitter, the tea did not get strong even after a long brew ... breakfast was half mast, serving tables dirty and food cold. I was here on a conference today and there were 4 weddings on. Visiting the loos took an age as there were such long queues. So we had ended up foregoing lunch. I WILL say that although i had to wait to see the manager - I refused to pay the full bill and he did agree to reduce the total. (I can be a dog with a bone over this kind of thing - I provide a service over and beyond expected, so expect others to do the same, or at least provide the basics). However the room was clean and the building is beautiful but one wonders if they will keep this up for long before decline. Oh - before I forget - the walls are paper thin so I was woken up at 6 oc - the great British public are so noisy and inconsiderate - not the Hotels fault here but did not add to my enjoyment after I'd been disturbed last night too (there was a wedding reception on). It's all coming back to me - I am so tired (back home again) its all a foggy mess. One senses a lack of coherent service above all else. For a hotel of this grand stature (the photos look great) - its an illusion. I wish them all the best in improving this historical building - read these reviews to get ideas!

Room Tip: Avoid the ground floor. I swear a man was walking past my room last night shaking a jar full of marb...
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I stayed here with my husband overnight in September. The room was small but clean and tidy, however in the hallway there was a mattress and base which remained their throughout my stay, no apologies made and no attempts to move it, we had to scramble passed it each time. staff delivered hair dryers promptly when requested but I had asked on arrival of they were in the rooms already, which they assured me they were.

I wasn't expecting much as we only paid £55. My mother and brother were also staying in the hotel, there were more modern and refurbished areas (we were in the older area) however the newer areas were quite dirty, with uncovered floors.

Our elderly grandparents came to meet us, my gmother is in a wheelchair and gfather very un steady on his feet, there was no disabled parking, there are 3 spaces out the front and I asked if we could us done of these, I was initially told there was lots of parking to the side, but when I stressed the need for disabled access they said we could park there, I had to ask for a ramp to get my grandmother into the building which was very unsteady.

There were two weddings taking place there and I they seemed to be very preoccupied with these guests. I asked if there was somewhere we could get tea or coffee, ie a resturant/bar
I was told there wasn't but the receptionist offered to get some for us and we were shown a small seating area. it did take some time and we had to ask a few times, and again for sweetener and larger mugs ( my grandfather shakes and can not drink from a dainty cup) however she seemed to be doing everything on her own!

Attention to detail is lacking, basic cleaning hadn't been completed and staff seem preoccupied/too busy with weddings. In short I won't be going again and wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are better larger chain hotels in the local area for only a fraction more... Lesson learned, book in advance!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
surrey uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

what a unpleasant wedding party in my life such a bad management party and food quality is really really poor taste was rubbish and cold food, greasy dinner plate mark in cutlery my first impression in the table terrible. service was exceptionally poor i asked waiter to get some more food answers was yes but never come back to me this is really annoyed me me and my family never go back there again i would urges our friend and family do not go there you would disappointed

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I read the reviews and was a little worried about staying here but it was the only hotel in the area that had vacancies and I'm not surprised. I was right to be worried. The hotel looks lovely from the outside but don't be deceived. Check in was dreadful. The receptionist was rude and took minutes to acknowledge me. The hotel was shabby and dirty. It looked like the carpets had never been cleaned and apparently the Hoover was broken so the capers looked like they hadn't even been hoovered for weeks. We had a 'family room' which was absolutely tiny. Just about fitted two double beds in and a travel cot in the middle with no space to move. It was boiling hot and the window only opened a tiny bit. If smelt dreadful in the room as well. I had sent an e mail asking for a travel cot and had no reply. Finally got one after repeatedly asking. Then asked for sheets, a pillow and blankets. Got brought a huge fluffy blanket bearing in mind it was August and boiling in the room. No sheets arrived so had to go down myself. Reception wasn't manned and I finally found a member of staff in the kitchen who said they would bring us sheets and a pillow. At about 10.30 pm someone finally brought us a sheet and a cushion with no cover on it. He said he couldn't help any further as they didn't know where housekeeping kept the pillows. We left before breakfast and couldn't wait to get away soon enough. Rude staff, dirty hotel, rubbish service. Cost £85 for the night and I can honestly say it was my worst hotel experience ever by miles.

• Stayed August 2013

Been to Baylis House? Share your experiences!