“Good for an overnight stopover.” 3 of 5 stars

Baylis House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stoke Poges Lane, Slough SL1 3PB, England   |
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Thame, United Kingdom
“Good for an overnight stopover.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

We booked the Baylis as we were catching an early morning train from Slough station. We paid the extra to have a Superior Double but although the room was in the new rear extension I wouldn't have called it superior. The room was very small with a built in wardrobe, standard double bed, two small bedside chest of drawers and a single chair. The tea/coffee making facilities occupied the top of one bedside unit whilst the other was taken up by a telephone, decorative string balls and a tiny alarm clock. No dressing table or anywhere to put your suitcase.
The bathroom was fine until we came to run the hot tap. Only luke warm water as the immersion heater in the tank down the corridor hadn't been turned on. So a wait of 20 minutes before we could have a shower.
On the positive side, it was cheap compared to most other hotels in Slough. It was also very clean and the staff were courteous. So, for an overnighter it was fine but I wouldn't recommend it for any longer.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Wiltshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I fall into the category of people who were surprised by the dreadful reviews - they didn't match my experience of the place at all. One or two of the fixtures and fittings are not up to the standard of the rest of the place, but overall it was very good. We were just using the place as a stop-over for Heathrow (as the places around there, pound for pound, are truly awful!). We had a good meal in the restaurant and a good night's sleep in a quiet room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed at baylis house for a one night stop over with friends to visit thorpe park. It is such a beautiful venue. The staff on check in were very friendly and extremely helpful, always at hand to help with any queries i had. The rooms were lovely, clean and comfortable. Plenty of tea and coffee were provided in the room which is ideal for early birds like myself! The bar and restaurant had a great atmosphere and choice of food and drinks! To sum it up i really enjoyed my stay here and will definitely be staying again! I think the reviews on here are really harsh and to be honest really unfair. Me and my friends will be definitely staying again :)

• Stayed September 2012
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

Upon arrival, the main house looks stunning and the welcome is very friendly.
I was located in one of the old stable blocks ( don't worry they have been converted) which sadly doesn't reflect the house.The carpets in the public area are shabby, worn and dirty. The walls are equally bad with marks, scuffs and dents. The room was of a reasonable size and had ensuite, double bed, wardrobe etc but again, the carpet was dirty and the overall appearance of the room felt tired and shabby. It obviously had been cleaned in a hurry because rubbish was still under the desk and in drawers.
The bed was comfortable enough, and the bathroom clean. Shower was a huge let down. Large enough to accomodate 2 people but with a water spray strong enough to cover about 1 square inch.
Breakfast was confined to a small room(not the main restaurant I would have guessed) and the "continental offering" looked reasonable enough but the hot offering I had was absolutely awful. My poached eggs were swimming in vinegar so strong that they were in edible.

I think this hotel tries to make it's money from the conferences etc and then have the bedroom money as icing on the cake. Given its location to so many big Corporate companies you would have thought they would have realised that by stepping up their game a bit they could be the best hotel in the area, sadly I think they are the worst. Add to the fact that they charge for Wifi and you have a business hotel that doesn't attract business people.
I can see people have different views on this hotel and yes different things upset different people..I fear there is too much here that will upset everyone. Couldn't and wouldn't recommend ever.

Room Tip: Don't book one
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
bridgend
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

Well i have got to say after reading the reviews on the way to this hotel (Would not have booked it if i had read them previously!!!) we were very pleased with our stay.
Excellent value for money, we only paid £60 for 2 of us (No Breakfast) and fair play it was fine.
Nice clean room, decorated nicely and a good size bathroom.
We had an evening meal there. its mostly Indian food which was really nice but i had a chicken caeser salad to start and that was not very nice, too much dressing and not enough chicken.
All food was reasonably priced too!!
Sevice was excellent in the hotel and reception.
We stayed there are we were going to Windsor for the day and it was ideal as only about 15 min away.
We didnt have breakfast as it was another £15 and in Windsor we could have had a lovely breakfast for £3.99 each so i wouldn't bother with that at the hotel.
All in all well worth the money just for an overnight stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sue T, Manager at Baylis House, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
I am so glad you found the hotel to be good value and the rooms comfortable. Our staff try and work hard to please and your kind appreciation will encourge them to continue to do their best. We look forward to your future visits.
Retford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The accommodation was fairly new and was very acceptable with plenty of room and an excellent shower room.Good value for money with the exception of the breakfast. The hot food was quite cold but the breads and fruits were ok but not special.Quiet location so a good nights sleep is guaranteed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your appreciation of the rooms and service. I understand you would have liked the hot buffet to be better and I assure you when you next visit us it will be so. The breakfast chef is aware and will be working on all the points you have mentioned. Please let me know when you are planning to visit us again.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I recently attended my cousin wedding at Baylis House and it was wonderful experience. I found food was amazing, staff were very polite. This is such a excellent venue and within beautiful ground. I stayed overnight in their accomodation and had a very comfortable night sleep in their new rooms. I am looking for to visiting their restaurant as all my friends have suggested that the food is very good

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest
I am so glad you enjoyed the wedding. We do appreciate your feedback. I would love you to visit our award winning restaurant and I promise you will not be disappointed. I will pass on your encouraging remarks to all departments.

Been to Baylis House? Share your experiences!