“Avoid!!! worst budget hotel ever!!!” 1 of 5 stars

You added Baylis House to your Saves list
Baylis House
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Stoke Poges Lane, Slough SL1 3PB, England   |
Ranked #15 of 21 Hotels in Slough
“Avoid!!! worst budget hotel ever!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you pay the room rate price your being robbed.

The entrance to the hotel fills you with what you might consider a promising stay.

The room was not ready at 4pm when I arrived, the cleaners still inside and reception unaware.

My room was next to the conference centre, where a wedding was being held.

The lobby, reception and lounges were full of sleeping guests and visitors.
There was no where to sit and wait while the room was being cleaned.

We were moved to another room from near the conference centre, where it was impossible to sleep becasue of noise from DJ.
Alternative room was very small and not noise proof, sounds from DJ, partygoers etc. echoed around the courtyard up until 2am - Monday morning, (I had earplugs in as well). We abandoned the hotel at 3am - no staff around, they were busy dragging compressed gas bottle across the courtyard at this time!

Staff were not helpful and the manager, has still not responded to my complaint.

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all cost's
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We have stayed here twice. The first time the TV never worked and when we reported it we were told it was too late to do anything about it. The hairdryer never worked but a lady cleaning rooms nearby supplied a replacement. Neither were major issues. We ordered the 'continental' breakfast which was awful and highly overpriced. The fruit was bruised and soft. There was no coffee/tea and the muffins were stale. Most unusual 'Continental' breakfast ever. We mentioned it to Reception but nothing was done. The second time I mentioned the problems from the first visit and the helpful Receptionist Grace changed our room for the night. It was a much smaller room but it had been refurbished. It looked very nice. But, while making coffee we realised you had to move the whole cabinet to the other side of the room to do so as there was no plug near the kettle! By moving the cabinet (which was on wheels) you could not get down one side of the bed. Not a major problem you might think but if you do not move it back each time it means you can then trip over the bench at the end of the bed and fall against the heavy bedstead. Which I did, resulting in a massive lump on my forehead. OK maybe I should have moved cabinet back but I wasn't expecting an obstacle course. THEN, whilst we were getting ready to go for dinner two men entered our room. They apologised and said Reception had given them the key. When we phoned Reception they said it was an error. When I spoke to the Manager he said the Receptionist hadn't learnt the new booking in system. He eventually offered us a bottle of wine with dinner after I repeatedly said I was appalled with this happening - the wine never arrived. It was extremely hot in the room and the air conditioning was not working properly so we had to have the windows open but we then spent much of the night being kept awake by the staff wheeling tables, chairs and other equipment up and down outside our window and talking very loudly. (We were on the ground floor overlooking some large wheely bins). They were preparing for a wedding the next morning. At about 3am we got up and went looking for someone to ask them to be quiet. We had tried calling Reception but no one answered. No one was on Reception and all the Hotel doors were open. After eventually finding someone and asking for quiet I must admit they did comply - thankfully. In the morning we spoke to Grace again and she arranged for a free breakfast and two bottles of wine to take away. We found Grace and the young lady who served our breakfast to be the only really helpful people.(Breakfast was another unusual meal - supposedly a full English Breakfast but lacking some major components!). The other staff are very indifferent to guests. I was told by a staff member that the hotel is really only geared up for weddings and other events and that they were not actually hoteliers! The evening meal was ok and the beds were comfortable but in some areas the bedrooms were lacking in cleanliness but nothing major - just items not cleared up properly from previous guests. e.g. items in drawers, under the bed. We would not recommend this hotel to anyone, which is a shame as it has great potential but isn't anywhere near there yet in my opinion! We will not be going back for a third time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
KINGS LYNN NORFOLK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

WELL THE PICTURE LOOKS BEAUTIFUL DOESN'T IT!!!!!! AWFUL PLACE receptionist friendly enough, we only booked as we took the 3 kids to lego land (LEGO LAND GREAT) HAD to have 2 rooms so I'll let you work out the cost for ROOM ONLY... bed awful had a more comfortable night sleeping in a tent on a lumpy field, decor was so dated bathroom consisted of a toilet and shower which dribbled luke warm water both evening and morning........... no BATH in sight.. paint work peels of the walls and there is so many night lighst outside that it beams through the bathroom window which has no curtain/blind and because the bathroom door doesn't shut its hard to get some shut eye!!!! childrens play area it states; a trampoline in the front garden (no net around it either) thats the play area... they do provide tea/coffee making facilities in the room however the kettle flex dangles of the side board for safety reasons i had to use the plug by the bed on the very worn out carpet.. 4**** NEVER NEVER NEVER 2 MAX and thats being kind.

Room Tip: don't stay here even as a over nighter for lego land WAY TOO EXPENSIVE AND DISGUSTING.....
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sue T, Manager at Baylis House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I am sorry you had to book two rooms for safety reasons as none of our rooms can take five persons however young the children! I am also confused about your comment about the trampoline as we do not have a trampoline with or without a net!
We have several rooms with baths and would have been able to allocate those to you if we had known your preference. I would recommend an advance purchase in future to reduce the expense for any booking.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012 via mobile

Came here with a friend and was told we would have a nice twin room with a view.

Felt very intimidated when we arrived and tried to book in but it took ages. Person on desk was just not interested. We found our room and the view we had was a brick wall with a load of large over flowing bins next to it.

The room looked liked burglars had broken in and tidied up. It was below poor in its appearance. The cable from the tv was hanging off. Wardrobes and bed looked like they had seen much better days.

This is not a 4 star hotel. I would liken it to an Indian hostel.

The hotel stank of Indian food and at this point we had enough. So without staying more than 30 mins I went back to reception and said I would not be staying here. I told the surly arrogant manager that I would not even let my dog stay here. I had booked for 7 days and he told me I had to pay for the entire week. I demanded to see the cancellation policy which could not be produced. I said if you don't refund my money I will call the police. I was prepared to pay for the one day only as that was fair enough. Finally I got what I wanted and I called the copthorne hotel instead. This was so much better.

In summary don't come here, the place is a disgrace and how they have 4 stars next to their name beggars belief.

you have been warned

• Stayed July 2012
Sue T, Manager at Baylis House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
I am unsure what an Indian hostel is like - Your allocated room had large twin beds with very comfortable mattresses and the wardrobes have no wear or tear. The windows were large and you had a view of the foliage and the conference hall which I presume is the brick wall you mentioned. The smell in the room was following carpet washing and not food. The duty manager should have explained this and I am sorry he did not expand. The gentleman at reception was not our regular reception staff and I apologize if he made you feel intimidated.
Leicester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

Decided to go to London on Saturday and stay over as was at Thorpe Park on the Sunday - did a last minute booking and thought what a great deal for a 4* ..... Well the room was nicely decorated (Small but ok for 1 night...
However music was on (As mentioned below - this should be stated to guests booking)
Thankfully did not eat there, read the reviews today as did the booking very quick yesterday :-)
Certainly no 4* but got for £60 2 people 1 night room only so for the price was ok - but would use a premier inn rather than here in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Sue T, Manager at Baylis House, responded to this review, August 20, 2012
Thank you for your high rating for cleanliness and decor. I am glad you appreciated that the room was keenly priced. I will however urge you to try the restaurant ( even if you are staying at premier inn) and I can guarantee a delicious meal. We have an award winning restaurant and it never disappoints (almost never!). Do come again.
Midlands
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We arrived at the hotel not expecting much after reading the reviews. It was booked on a price and convenience basis on which it was ok. We checked in at reception to find our card had already been charged at 8.28 that morning. We were pointed in the direction of our room and thankfully we found it but it wasn't easy. Some awful red carpet tiles and out of character decoration later we got to a new block of rooms. These were very clean just a bit unfinished. A new chandelier in the stairwell had no bulbs and was hanging precariously with some plastic wrapping still on it. Evidence of drilling on the floor with plaster dust on the staircase. A whole in the corridor ceiling due to a missing ceiling tile. Room was very small for a deluxe option. Bathroom new, clean with a useless Primark shower curtain. Good shower! Not much in the way of toiletries only one small shower gel no shampoo. Broken wicker paper basket bin, thin economy towels. Small double bed with only two thin pillows. Rather cheap looking odd cream blind in the only small dormer style window which was not fitted brilliantly and didn't offer much privacy. View of a carpark containing a old rusty huge metal container. A resident rat running around the carpark and living under the container. We didn't eat in the restaurant after seeing the rat! Also it was empty of other people. A trolley of Indian food was left in the hallway downstairs which also put us off. A jug of orange juice was in reception when we arrived and still there when we left in the early hours! No staff available when we left. No hotel information in the room. No details of the restaurant or breakfast (which we didn't have) so all in all the hotel served its purpose but was quite odd. We felt we slightly out of place.

• Stayed August 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

My husband had booked this hotel for us. Going really on the price and location (close to Legoland). Things just went from bad to worse. Having arrived @ about 10pm, after a long journey, no one on reception. Also the stench of Indian food as soon as we opened the car door! Finally get shown to our room, up 2 flights of stairs, with luggage and a very tired 4yr old in tow. No sooner had we stepped inside the room and seen there was only one bed ( for a family!!!) the guy had disappeared back down the stairs. Hubby then had to do the long trek back to reception, only to find the guy isn't there again!! after what seemed an age hubby returned to say we have to carry all the bags back down to reception to be shown another room. We were taken out of the main hotel to what I believe to be an old stable block which @ some time had been converted to more rooms. This room was worse!! (room 5).As soon as the door was opened it smelt musty. It was now 11.15pm and we were all so tired we just wanted to get our heads down. But under closer inspection the room was filthy!! Large black hairs on the White bedding, lots of hairs on the headboards, red scatter cushions were black with dirt, mould around the bath seal, paint peeling off the bathroom ceiling, cracks in all the bathroom tiles, which was a bit dangerous for our 4yr old, and the furniture in the room was old, dated and damaged!! Also no aircon... ( have taken photo evidence of this ).......
The next morning we went to breakfast, which was very basic, and flavourless. But the most shocking thing was the music that was being played. Every other word was a swear word or had sexual innuendo!!! Finally had to tell the waitress to turn the music off. There was also another family eating with a young boy!!! If I wasn't in a bad mood over the room then I was after breakfast!!! We then went out to enjoy our day with the intention of only coming back to the room very late to only sleep!! We decided then not to stay on our 3rd night, we booked into somewhere else. ( so we lost the money we had paid,). When I took the room key back to reception to tell them we weren't staying for our 3rd night, I explained all the reasons why.. Only answer I got was " I'm sorry". I really don't know how this place can be classed as a 4*, it's definitely has a long way to go. I really do advise people before booking here to read all TA reviews before making their own judgement. This hotel could be absolutely spectacular, considering it's location and the grounds it has. I will def be doing my homework on TA before I book an hotel again!!!

• Stayed July 2012

Been to Baylis House? Share your experiences!