“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 21 Hotels in Slough
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on business, I was surprised when I arrived to see I would have to pay £5.00 to park my car overnight. Then followed confusion over my booking which was done through work, not my fault if the broker doesn't have the right fax number. (Who still uses fax anyway?) . The receptionist was not happy to accept my copy of the booking confirmation and told me I would have to pay. I objected to this and she managed to ring the out of hours number reluctantly to confirm my booking was genuine , I noticed the lady next to me was having similar problems as the hotel had reserved two rooms for her and she had only booked one, as was the couple before me. Anyway the room was ok clean and comfortab. I was advised to book for dinner which I did and went to the restaurant, I had a drink, ordered my meal and sat back to wait for it to arrive, three minutes ,later the waiter who took my order came to enquire if my meal was ok, I told him I would let him know when it arrived, another three minutes passed and he came back and asked if I would like to order now. I smiled and told him I had done so, my meal arrived sirloin steak with string fries and "salad" this comprised of a small steak a few chips and about six leaves along with a whole tomato and mushroom. No sooner had it been place before me than guess what he came to ask if it was ok, again I politely told him I would let him know onceI had tasted it. It was ok, nothing special, I ate this having being asked twice more if it was alright . Once finished I waited for 15 minutes for so done to clear the table, I was asked if I wanted dessert and left alone for another 15 minutes which isn't so pleasant when you are a woman eating alone . I decided I would order cheese and biscuits to take back to my room, I had to go to the bar to ask for this, it duly arrived and I went to my room. As I arrived in my room the restaurant rang me to ask me to go back down as they had forgotten to get me to sign for my meal. I enquired about wifi as I had some work to do £5.00 for this. I decided against this as I already thought paying for parking was unnecessary . The hotel wasn't cheap £89.95 for the bed and breakfast, the evening meal £26.95 for something average for one person was expensive for a budget brand hotel but to charge for parking and wifi in top of this was cheeky. I would not choose to go here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Slough-Windsor, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear LynnWray,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are hospitality professionals who pride ourselves on delivering world class service to all of our guests and are happy doing so. I'm sorry for the inconvenience our hotel policies may have caused you. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations as well as competitive rates to the area. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your experience.

Zelyn N
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Hants
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

We arrived quite late on a Sunday evening, as a result of my wife needing to stay over for work.

The first, miserly, thing about the hotel is that it does not include parking for residential guests: you have to pay. That's just a cheap shot at making some extra cash out of the predominant clientele of business travellers. (Note that WIFI is also a chargeable extra at over £4 an hour/£13 a day).

The daunting car park signs, and the bars on the windows, make you feel certain that your car will be broken into or stolen; I was relieved when the thing was still in one piece when I got back to it. At no other hotel in the world have I felt as threatened: do they really need the three or four posters warning you about guard dog patrols on the premises?

Check in was a fiasco of trying to locate my wife's reservation, although that was eventually overcome. To be fair, it was partly down to the reservation being made in a slightly different name, but they couldn't locate the reservation from the confirmation number. Very odd.

The room was pretty grim. The toilet flush is over the bath; there was a dizzying array of sockets and switches around the room at floor level - for what, who can guess - and the power kept flickering, which had the annoying effect of tripping the TV back into the hotel menu mode every ten minutes. Decor made the room depressing, and the bathroom was not an appealing place.

To be fair, the room we had was quiet, which given the proximity to the M4 and Heathrow is not bad. The double bed was not that comfortable, but again there was a wide choice of pillows to choose from.

The room appeared to be reasonably clean, although I insisted on washing the glasses before we drank from them.

The room service was fairly slow, but the food arrived hot and was perfectly acceptable. It did, however, take my wife ten minutes on the phone to try to order some wine, at which point she gave up and went and collected it from the bar herself. (It had been a stressful journey through storms to get there: we needed a drink.)

The hotel is what it is: a relatively low cost, business travellers' hotel. It's convenient for Slough and the M4. But there are many much better, and no more expensive, hotels in the area.

So it's not a hotel that I would head back to, even for work. But to me it did not feel like a Holiday Inn - more like an Express.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Slough-Windsor, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Dear DandEHants,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

We read with much concern about the unpleasant experience that you have encountered during your previous stay with us. I sincerely apologize for we fell below you expectations on most of the amenities and truly sorry that you did not find our hotel to your liking. We endeavor to meet all guests’ expectations at all times and regret that we failed on this instance.

It is our fullest intention to provide the best experience, as such, we are constantly looking into areas of improvements in the best of our efforts assuring you of our best attention and service at all times. Your comments are being shared with the hotel management and appropriate action will be taken. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Dhan M
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed with work - wasn't looking forward to it as last time the room smelled of damp. Rooms have been refurbished so damp had gone. But £5 to park and £13.95 for breakfast was a shock. Room rate was reasonable, but felt the additional charges were ridiculous.

Only had a bowl of cereal, a cup of tea and a glass of juice. Didn't realise the breakfast was extra - but looking at the buffet I do not remember it looking like £14 worth.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Slough-Windsor, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear telcotraveller,

Thank you for your recent comments about our Hotel. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations particularly with the breakfast rates. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations as well as competitive rates to the area. Your comments will be passed to the appropriate department. We always welcome opportunity to improve.

Zelyn N
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Normally stay at the Marriott in Langley when I come down to Slough with work but was fully booked so ended up here. Was interested to see what he newly refurbished rooms were like as I didn't really like this hotel before the refurbishment.

Well in my view the rooms are no better than a Holiday Inn Express or Premier Inn which was disappointing - my room was very basic - no doors on the wardrobe, no mini bar. The bathroom had not been refurbished and felt vey dated - why only update half the room.

Breakfast was good with a good fried breakfast available at the buffet.

Just not good enough compared to other local hotels for me to go back.

Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Neale1810,

Thank you so much for your review of our hotel. We work hard to ensure our facilities are superior and we strive to be the best hotel around. I am sorry if the room you were allocated did not meet your expectations. Despite this, I am glad to know that the breakfast served met your liking.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Pam G
Leeds
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

Stayed here for a night on business. Could not find fault. Room was great and a good size, staff friendly, breakfast fine. Very handy for Winsdor Castle etc. Would stay again even though it is in Slough!

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for two nights whilst visiting London and legoland and have to say that the service provided was first class and nothing was too much for the team to do for me and my family. Ladies on reception were great, bar staff were attentive and really helpful and the breakfast team ensured that the food available looked great and always available

• Stayed August 2013
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Reception was efficient and helpful giving us a lot of relevant information and answering any questions we had, my son also recieved a play pack on arrival. The hotel entrance was tidy and clean. Our room on the third floor was spacious, clean, large bathroom with a shower and bath, flat screen TV and tea and coffee making facilities. Breakfast was up until 10.00 and a variety was provided from cereal, cooked English, fruit and muffins with a choice of drinks. Breakfast was pleasant in that it was not overcrowded and the staff were very pleasant. We stayed for three nights. The rooms were cleaned very well. There is also a playroom. My son recieved a cup of milk each night with a mix of biscuits, which I thought was a considerate touch ! The bar at night was not overly busy and child friendly making a nightcap pleasant. The food was reasonable priced and cooked well, again the staff were more than helpful. The location we thought was good in that Legoland, Eton, Windsor and slough are on the door step. Overall I would definately reccomend this hotel if visiting this area and would stay here again. Thankyou to the staff for making this a very enjoyable stay and we would return here again and also suggest this hotel to friends and family.

Room Tip: The higher the better as the views are very good