“Surprisingly disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 18 shopping in Berkshire
Type: Specialty Shops
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Shop that sells products from the Royal Farms and select local suppliers.
Windsor with Poyle
“Surprisingly disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I am regular customer at the farm shop, I love their great value meats and I am a massive fan of the English wine, however today I was surprisingly disappointed by the overall attitude of the staff. When I arrived two members of staff were gossiping in the doorway and I had to say excuse me to enter the shop, the aisles were blocked with empty boxes (I understand the need to fill the shelves however I think blocking the aisles with potential tripping hazard could be avoided) I waited a few minutes at the cheese counter for someone to serve me (two staff members behind the counter ignored me) then waited in a queue for someone to open a till and serve the public waiting to pay. I came home and said to my husband that if I didn't love the wine quite so much I would question if I would return to the shop, I felt genuinely sad about the service I received and was surprised by the lack of care from a shop with seemingly such high standards.

Visited April 2013

Surrey
46 attraction reviews
“Sunday morning shop and visit to cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Bought a few things in the farm shop, pies, sausages, potatoes and an Easter Egg. Went to coffee shop for a hot chocolate, which was delicious and a cake. My Maple and Pecan biscuit was delicious, but there was a delay in bringing my husband his toasted teacake and when it did arrive after I went and asked about it, my hubby didn't enjoy it, said was a bit dry /stale. We were surprised how busy it was for a Sunday morning, we have been there a few times and it has been a lot quieter. Seems a popular spot for cyclists.I suppose also as it was so cold we were also inside whereas in the good weather there is plenty of outdoor seating.

Visited March 2013
Budapest, Hungary
“Great shop”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Royal Windsor Farm shop is a great little shop. full of game meats and poultry that you don't normally see. the veg was very good quality and really the prices were not so different to normal prices at Tesco or Waitrose. the cafe was small but adequate and the service was friendly. definitely worth a visit

Visited February 2013
St Albans
11 attraction reviews
“Like a mini Fortnum and Masons Food Hall”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

After reading some of the crochety reviews I had some trepidation that I would be entering a low level supermarket. Far from it, the Farm Shop is a true delight with a wonderful selection of fresh meats, game, deli products, bread and home made pies. In addition there were excellent selections of Berry Brothers wine, Highgrove products, preserves, cakes and dairy products. It reminded a little me of a slightly down market version of the classic Fortnum and Mason food hall. It was a little let down by some of the vegetables and fruits looking a little sad and past their best but on the positive side we purchased some fantastic quality meat and game plus a wonderful looking steak and ale pie. How wonderful if you live locally in the Windor area. If not well worth a visit if you are in the area.

Visited February 2013
Dorset UK
3 attraction reviews
“Downhill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

If we had not been regular customers whilst living in Windsor, I may not be as critical. But the expansion has ruined the farm shop. It used to be an intimate, lovely place to shop; always walked away with quality products. Now it's a big, cavernous, unappealing, over-priced place that does not garner the desire to look & buy. We stopped in last week & besides being disappointed with the shop itself, decided to have something with tea in the cafe. We just decided on a couple of sausage rolls, not wanting a large meal before returning home. They were honestly quite awful. Dry, tasting old, etc. We were extremely disappointed and I told my partner that the Windsor Farm Shop, which used to be one of my favorite places in the area, has now become a place to avoid. Such a shame to watch something that used to be so pleasant to visit become "just another shop."

Visited January 2013