“Hot Mustard” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Reading
“Hot Mustard”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

What a lovely public house, visited on a bleak winter Friday afternoon - and this really was a gem (I shouldnt write about it - from a selfish perspective because it's nice to get a seat at the Bar). The brightly lit tableux of spirits and the local ales provided sufficient choice and after a long walk along the canal tow-path the ham and tomato sandwich was home prepared quality - if your parents are butchers that is. I have dropped in here before this winter and found thougthfully chosen newspapers in the bar for that lone pint (beers from Pewsey and throughtout the Kennet valley). Despite it's post-code its a bout 8 miles from Reading - so if have arrived here then it's unlikely to be by chance. Bring your Antipodean and American friends once for a great location and good beer. Friendly staff warned me about the (hot) Mustard condiment from Tracklements - so sure enough I still nearly blew my nose off!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

75% Recommend
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good Quality Food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

My familly visited this restaurant on Christmas eve. Overall the food was very good and we all enjoyed our meals. Highlights were the wild mushroms on toast, full of flavour and perfectly cooked, and the rump steaks, again full of flavour and cooked to perfection. So hats off to the chefs.

Only slight downside was the wait between ordering and getting our starter, and then again while waiting for our mains, both courses seemed to take a long time to come out, however that did not detract from our evening.

This pub / restaurant is worth a visit if in the area.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
south east
“great lunch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

Just like to say that we went to The Rowbarge and once again, it was really lovely food, very tasty, really good service - it was extrememly busy - and such friendly staff. Thank you very much, you hard working lot! We will be BACK!

Visited December 2012
Reading, United Kingdom
“Nice location, very nice staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The ambience is pleasant in winter and in summer - large garden. The staff are all friendly, efficient and attentive. It is always quite busy, even on a mid-week lunchtime. The menu is quite large and varied. I think we made the wrong choices today- my fish pie, though adequate, was rather tired and did not look very appealing, and tasted so-so. My husband enjoyed the sausages, but his mash, too, was tired. Location and staff make it worth a return trip when on a nearby walk.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“What happen?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Something has gone wrong at some point. I loved this place and came over all the time. Perfect in the summer. One key reason I visited the place was due to the ribs, they were great and a big seller since I wasn't the only one. The other meat wasn't bad either. Sadly they stopped selling the ribs which means I now visit the sawn more these days. The service is average and the dress code on the staff isnt professional. 3 different people were serving us causing long delays on ordering meal and afters. Shame really. Will still visit but only last resort.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere