“Awful - avoid at ALL cost!” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Description: ASK Italian in Welwyn Garden is a place for great food and warm service. Think fresh bread made to tear and share. A glass of fine wine worth deserving of your time. Delicious main dishes prepared the traditional way. Everything we know and love about Italian food is served straight to your table.
saint albans
“Awful - avoid at ALL cost!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

This has to be one of the worst restaurant experiences ever.
Shoddy welcome on arrival, made to feel like an inconvenience even though only 2 of us and restaurant half empty. Food was at best bland and some of it in edible. Starter was very greasy. Pizza tasteless with some sort of weird meat paste slathered over it and a few measly bits of grisly pancetta. A tesco value pizza for a pound has more flavour! The pasta was even worse. Could not eat it. Totally overlooked in a ready meal style sloppy sauce. Tasted like had been nowhere near a remotely fresh ingredient. No member of staff bothered to enquire whether the food was alright. We left promptly. And just to top things off a small (175ml) white wine spritzer cost £7.10!!! Total rip off! Avoid this place and go somewhere else.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Hertford, United Kingdom
“Lunch with friends”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013 via mobile

We met friends for lunch here yesterday. We were a party of 16, half of which were children. The service was efficient and the waitress was helpful and very patient. The food was served in good time, although they did forget one of the main courses, so there was a delay for this dish. I was delighted to see plenty of gluten free options, but unfortunately, the pizza was absolutely tasteless! It was a good venue to meet with relaxed atmosphere and good service, but the food was uninspiring.

Visited December 2013
Hatfield, United Kingdom
“Good food, excellent atmosphere, reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a bright, open, simple but stylish restaurant with lovely staff providing quick service of well-prepared food. In the summer you can sit outside; in the winter it is very comfortable inside. W e shall be going there again

Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Awful value, unimaginative food and dire service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

We were a large pre-booked works party of between 70 and 80 people on a midweek evening. We arrived at around 7.30pm.
The service was disorganised and chaotic.
I know this was a lot of people to cater for plus other diners in the restaurant, but after all, it does purport to cater for that many covers, so should either be able to deal with them, or just have a smaller capacity restaurant! Our group was certainly no larger than an average wedding party where caterers always seem to be able to manage to serve up everyone's course at the same time!
The waiting staff dealing with us were running around like headless chickens and seemed to have little idea of what they were meant to be doing. Our group hadn't just turned up unannounced out of the blue - Ask had received several months of advance notice of our arrival and we had all chosen our courses weeks ahead with our names against each one, so I can't imagine what would have happened if we'd had to choose on the night!
Everyone got served at different times, so whilst some people having a starter were waiting for it to arrive, others had finished their starter ages ago.
I wasn't having a starter and waited over an hour for my main course to arrive.
It was 9pm by then and I was starving. Again, everyone got their main course at different times. My friends sitting across the table from me, who had chosen pizza, had finished it a long time ago by the time my pasta arrived. I was glad I hadn't chosen a pizza, as they looked thin, dry and sorry. There was no small salad nor even as much as a slice of tomato to accompany them.
Nothing. One of the pizzas had just ONE TINY BLACK OLIVE cut in half as a topping! I've seen better pizzas in supermarket 'value ranges.'
A few of us with pasta asked for parmesan, but it took so long to arrive that we'd almost finished our meals by the time a waitress came round with a lump of cheese and a grater!!
Could they not have put some small bowls of parmesan on each table, considering this was such a large party? After all, it is meant to be 'Italian.' Yeah, right.

My small portion of pasta was adequate and contained precisely two green beans, one sunblush tomato cut in half and a few slices of chilli - nothing great, and then I had ice cream which was full of ice crystals - probably refrozen. The food was in no way worth £16 a head for two courses - and this was a special offer!!!
This was 'Ask Italian' - and indeed we did have to Ask for everything - at every turn!
I've had far superior food at Presto, and much cheaper too.
I would never come here again.

Visited November 2013
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
“Terrible dining experience!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Just got back from eating at this restaurant with husband and two grandsons. Never again! The service was absolutely awful. Slow, slow, slow! The food was appalling, too. My fettucine was just one solid lump. My grandsons thought the chicken was too spicy. I asked the waiter and he said he didn't know if it was spicy or not! When we eventually got our main course they didn't bother clearing the table and just dumped it down and hurried off. They play very loud music which isn't conducive to a family meal with young children. Extremely shoddy in every way and will go back to Prezzo in future!

• Visited September 2013