“Nice Atmosphere and Selection” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 115 restaurants in Altrincham
Cuisines: Bar
Madeira Beach, Florida
“Nice Atmosphere and Selection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

We popped into PI by chance as the Belgium bar was too packed to even sit down.

PI look inviting and we were able to find a table to enjoy a few pints. The Pies on the board looked amazing, though we had just eaten so were unable to have one. Next time!

I critic would be to have the fire going! It def makes for better ambiance and maybe why the Belgium bar was packed out and they weren't??

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

100% Recommend
Altrincham, United Kingdom
“Nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Lovely bar, haven't had the pies yet though. Have been for beer and wine, and will keep going.

Don't like sitting out the back as rats were nearby in the courtyard, but not actually by the restaurant/bar. It's a town they can't stop such things being near!

Visited December 2013
Kirton in Lindsey, United Kingdom
“Good beer, good pies, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Wide choice of bottled beers and limited draft - just a shame they don't have bottled British beers. Food is pie, mash and mushy peas - good value and tasty Pieminster pies. It was a Friday night and it was busy with good atmosphere.

The website says it's where the Trappiste bar used to be - not where I remembered it being though. It's just above Marks and Spencer near the market.

Visited November 2013
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great beer, and they do pies!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

This is a bar with a huge selection of beers and ciders well described in an informative menu. The beers are fron all over the world, not just Belgium! Many beers have their own special glasses. They have good local bitter as well as the more exotic fare.
They have 4 or 5 different sorts of pies avaliable with mash and mushy peas available as an extra. The pies are a fiver with a quid for
extras.
On a Saturday night the place was heaving both upstairs and downstairs. Service is friendly but bar based. Mind you it was so busy when we went that table service would have been hard.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
“π & mash”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Recommendation

This is not haute cuisine, but certainly elevates bar food to a culinary level totally unexpected for the venue and price. We shall be returning throughout the autumn/winter months. %)

Reason for choosing venue

The cold, dark nights have inexorably drawn upon us once again. Cooling temperatures, falling leaves and rainfall led my companion & myself in search of traditional English “comfort food”. We went through a list of some dozen local(ish) restaurants and eateries. We ummed and errred, until I suddenly recalled a recommendation from some long-time friends, Hannah & Mick, whom we trust implicitly with regards cuisine choices. We mutually agreed on a virginal visit to Pi in Altrincham (just up the road from the well-known & frequented Belgian Bar).

Pi is one of a chain of three establishments in the North West of England. They serve a choice of pies (approximately @ £5) and for an additional charge one can purchase mash, mushy peas and/or gravy (@ £1). The pies are sourced from Pieminster.

I selected a “Moo Pie”, described as containing British beef, carrot, onion & gravy, accompanied by mash and mushy peas. I sampled the mushy peas first: very lightly minted, a hint of lemon juice and a perfect flavour. For me, though, I prefer some body rather than total purée. Hit the spot, nonetheless. Next I scooped some mash: delectable - creamy, buttery, lumplessly smooth, black peppered - yummy! Finally to the pie. Topped with an almost-too-light-to-be-true flaky pastry with a buttery flavour and a melt-in-the-mouth experience, the pie was an æsthetic delight. The filling, to be sure, was tasty; however, the baker had used stewing steak that had not been adequately cooked so was rather chewy. The gravy was of a nice, thickish consistency, so it did not ooze out of the pie. The rest of the pie was a different kind of pastry, with the base difficult to break up as it had an overly doughy consistency. It passed the taste test though.

My companion chose the chicken pie, mash, mushy peas and a jug of gravy. Alas I could not sample as it contained an allergen to me. It was as pleasing to the eye as my own dish. Containing large chunks of chicken, the flesh was tender and cut easily. My friend practically licked his platter clean, so I should say that is a recommendation!

Drink

We washed down our repasts with some real ale. At £3.50 for a pint of draught Tatton White Queen 4.2%, my blonde was a smooth, light, clean nectar. My fellow diner ordered Damburger, which had a slight sour, citrusy flavour.

All of the three staff with whom we interacted were perfectly pleasant without being effusive. They passed the time of day, but did not intrude. We even received a friendly wave from behind the bar as we exited.

• Visited October 2013