“Excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #46 of 120 Restaurants in Altrincham
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: our excellent local indian : friendly staff and good fresh ingredients. a better experience than many others. Been going there for years
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had not eaten at this restaurant before, but I went with friends on a Friday evening. The restaurant has been in business for quite a while and no one I know had anything bad to say about it so we decided to give it a go.

We arrived and were seated promptly and the waiter was very helpful in discussing the "specials" which formed a large section of the menu. We made our selections with two of us going for Chicken Madras and a Buhna whilst I and someone else ordered the Indian mixed grill.

Poppadums and beer turned up and were very good although I did wonder why the mango was so luminous in colour. It tasted fine. When the dishes turned up they were piping hot and delicious. The Indian mixed grill was huge and my friend and I should have had it between us instead of one each. The food was a little toward the mild side for my taste, but in terms of flavour it was fine.

We enjoyed our meal and we will eat there again.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Oh dear”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Went with family for buffet so didn't expect to be wowed. However, food was just ok, it was busy and the manager kept eyeballing us I can only assume to free a table. So asked for bill, overcharged us, pointed it t out, they checked it and said it was fine. Eventually had to literally spell out the errors. Make of this what you will be we won't be returning.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“Clean, modern decor and great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We ate here for the first time tonight on a friend's recommendation. The poppadoms were crisp, with a good selection of pickles and there is good value Cobra beer on tap. We ordered lamb and chicken dishes from the specials menu and were pleasantly surprised: very well spiced and tasty dishes.The bill came to £60 for 3 people for one main course, one rice, one side dish and one beer each. On Good Friday, the restaurant was busy, so they obviously have a loyal local following.
As south Asians ourselves, we rarely eat out at Indian restaurants. However, we found the Shandar to be an authentic and friendly restaurant, with a nice atmosphere and good value prices. I would definitely come back again.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cheshire
“Great food, good service, thanks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

We have eaten here regularly for the last 5 years. The food is consistently good, well presented and never disappoints. The service is efficient and quick and all the staff are friendly enough although the younger waiters seem happier than the older ones! We have eaten mid-week, weekends, Christmas Eve, New Years Eve, Sunday buffet and take-away and we always thoroughly enjoy the food and always have to take a bag home. I'm a pretty fussy eater and work in Environmental Health so I'm also choosy where I eat my curries. Don't be fooled by a number of horrible reviews, this restaurant is excellent and the food is lovely. Thanks to all at the Shandar, we will be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Don't believe the hype”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

With a change of venue to eat in mind we decided up on this location. After some what of complementary reports relating to the food all I can say is nothing special.
During our meal another dinner behind us vomited all over there table and to make things worse refused to use the wash room to clean up. NOT NICE
Food average nothing to rave about.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere