“ballater in january.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Craigendarroch Lodges

Save Saved
You added Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Craigendarroch Lodges to your Saves list
Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Craigendarroch Lodges
4.0 of 5 Lodge   |   Braemar Road, Ballater AB35 5XA, Scotland   |
yorkshire
“ballater in january.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2008

we stayed in a one bedroom lodge at the Hilton Craigendarroch, our two teenage boys had the twin bedroom, and my husband and i had the double pulldown bed in the lounge,surprisingly this was really comfortable,so no qualms about sleeping in one of these again.We had everything in the unit that we could have needed,the t.v in the boys room was a godsend as they rarely want to watch the same programs as us.Ballater itself is not very big,but there are a few pubs and eating places, we ate at the Alexandra Hotel and had a very nice meal there, the other places were a little expensive when you are paying for four.We covered quite a few miles walking as the weather was brilliant for january, we walked round loch muich which was really nice, and in the late afternoon on our way back to the car we saw loads of deers.Camber o May and Burn o Vat were also really nice walks.After one of our many walks out we decided to eat in the lounge bar back at the hotel, we ordered two sausage n mash a club sandwich and a scampi n chips, we waited fifty minutes for this to arrive and when it did it was no better than we would get in our local supermarket, so this put us off trying any of the other restaurants.Overall i would rate this holiday as a good experience.

442 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Aberdeen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

We had booked a Suite which included £15pp Dinner allowance and breakfast next day. We had our DInner then were told we could only use the allowance in one of the other restaurants so we were forced to pay there and then as the staff memebr would not let us add it to our room.

We woke next morning to a bill nder our door saying we were owe money for food and drinks we had had the previous evening. We headed to reception to check ou to clear the bill and luckily for us we requested a receipt to prove we had paid cash. The receptionist then called for a manager to come and refund us our costs for the evening, however she was unavailable at that time so we were promised the money go back on the credit card held against the booking. On checking our credit card statement the cheats did not refund our money but took more off instead......HOW RUDE!!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
midlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2008

Again, I had a very pleasant stay at Craigendarroch - Staff are always friendly and professional and food was good. Oaks restaurant is a must!!!! - Beauty is currently closed but this is due to a refurbishment which will be excellent when finished. Scenery is the best!! Ballater is such a lovely little village with plenty to do.

Stayed March 2008
Buffalo, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

Lots of negative reviews here.... The Craigendarroch has a hotel as well as time share condos. I stayed in the time shares with another couple for a week. The accommodations were roomy, warm (important since it was January) and well appointed. It was very clean and while the furnishings were from the 80's, it was not threadbare or dirty at all. The only negative was that the beds were a bit too firm for my taste. Our unit had 2 full baths, leather couches, full kitchen and a nice view of a small pond.
We had dinner at the hotel bar on 2 nights. The food was quite tasty and plentiful. While the restaurant service was slow, we were in no rush and it was not a big deal. Because we were there off season, the place was sparsely occupied. I don't know if that would make service better or worse. The pool was nice enough. There are 2 squash courts and a game room.
The town of Ballater was quite charming- small and walkable. This is a resort area and not centrally located to all of Scotland. If planning to see the whole country, do not make this a base station. It is east coast and everything was a 2 hour drive. You should stay in inns along the way.
So all that said, I think the hotel proper is not as nice as the time shares. Check-in revealed very dusty sliver on the front desk - red flag. If the front desk isn't kept clean, there isn't much hope for the rooms. I never did see the rooms but gauging by everything else I saw, the last time this was invested in was the 70's. I would stay in the time shares or not at all.

• Liked — Spacious accommodations and kitchen for 2 couples
  • Disliked — remote
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2008

I chose to stay at the Hilton Craigendarroch as I had stayed here before and I was also a diamond club member of the HIlton Group.

I found check-in to be a good experience being upgraded to a suite which was absolutely wonderful. The suite had a living area as well as a bedroom and also had a great jacuzzi bath.

Like my previous stay the downside of this hotel is the food and the service in the restaurant - it is awful - on each stay I have been given a complimentary bottle of wine.

On this occasion we arrived at the restaurant on our first night not wanting to venture too far from our room and a bit aprehensive about going to this restaurant again based on our previous hotel visit last August - however - regrettably we made the dreaded mistake by thinking it may be better.

The last orders in the restaurant for food was 9.30pm and we arrived at 8.30pm - it took around 15 mins to order drinks and a further 15-20 mins to get the drinks and when getting to the Italian buffet being served we discovered the food very dried out and very unappetising. The matre d' smiled at me as I made my complaint about the food and how I was unable to eat it - the kitchen was almost closed, however, he did say that they would start preparing further food - I felt that based on what I had seen that I would leave it. I did wonder why they allowed guests into the restaurant at that time of night if there was only dried out remains of food left !!!

I was not charged for my drinks nor was I charged for the starter which was received as a consequence.

We then proceeded to the room for room service where we ordered chips and a further bottle of wine to get over our very bad experience.

The remaining 2 nights which we stayed at the hotel we ventured into Ballater where we ate at The Green Inn and La Manga (the itialian restaurant) both were 100% better than anything in the Hilton - it seems that you have to travel to the States to get a decent Hiton Hotel with decent service - very disappointing for such a beautiful location. I my return of course to the hotel but I certainly wouldn't eat there.

• Liked — Suite allocated to me
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
speyside
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2008

I stayed there in September with my son and had a very nice time. So we rebooked in October for a family room ( and have also driven there for lunch and use of the pool.). The family room was a disgrace. Not clean, sweet papers and receipts in the drawers. Carpets stained and filthy , rips in the upholstery. I asked to move but the other rooms were no better. ( my first stay had been in the historical part of the building which must have been renovated. )We tried to check out but couldnt get a refund.The food was terrible!! They closed the pool for the day too .I saw other guests making complaints but nothing being done.
The staff were very friendly but not nearly enough. they said they have difficulty keeping staff due to location etc.. The place was REALLY dirty. The pool and facilities themselves were good and its a beautiful place but it is not even 3 star.

• Liked — The entrance to the historical part of the hotel
  • Disliked — scruffy dirty place
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
Grampian, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2008

I Love Craigendarroch. I stayed in a lodge, and it had everything I could possibly wish for. The lodges are clean, comfortable and spacious. The facilities are excellent, the pool is clean and fun for kids. At the pool there is a small slide and a very relaxing jacuzzi.
One of my favourite things had to be the squash court. You can hire rackets and balls. There is also a snooker room and an arcade room with a pool table inside. A gym is located beside the pool.
The staff are very kind and helpful. We ate at the clubhouse buffet, the service was great but the food wasn't (it was ok).
I can't wait to go back next year!

P.S. Bring your kids!

Ross 13 Scotland

• Liked — The comfort and the facilities
  • Disliked — The food
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hilton Grand Vacations Club at Craigendarroch Lodges? Share your experiences!