“Dont go on a rainy day” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 12 Attractions in Ballater
Type: Castles, Cultural
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Balmoral is the Scottish home of the British Royal Family. The Castle Ballroom, gardens and exhibitions are open from the 29th March until the 31st July. Visitors are able to view the Castle Ballroom, the largest room in the Castle, used for a number of formal occasions when Her Majesty is in residence. This is a rare opportunity to see many original pieces of fine art and treasures which normally reside within the private rooms of the Castle. An audio tour is included in the admission price and guides visitors around the formal and production gardens as well as a number of other exhibitions located within the stable block. In 2013 visitors area able to enjoy an exhibition of photographs of the Royal Family by Cecil Beaton. The exhibition is organised by the Victoria and Albert Museum London and contains over forty fascinating images. Other displays include a native wildlife exhibition, a look at the Royal Yacht Britannia, a year in the life of Balmoral and our Balmoral audio visual presentation. We have a spacious self service cafe and gift shop selling a wide range of Balmoral souvenirs. Walks and trails are waymarked on the estate so visitors can enjoy a leisurely riverside walk or more strenuous exploration of the many commemorative cairns located within the grounds.Please note that Balmoral closes to visitors on the 31st July. The room open to visitors in the Castle is the Ballroom. Other rooms in the Castle form part of Her Majesty's private residence and as such are not open to the public.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Dont go on a rainy day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014 via mobile

Most of this tour is walking around the gardens of the castle and viewing the castle from outside. As others have said you only get to enter one room of the castle itself.

There is a good tearoom where you can get a scone and a pot of tea. The gift shop is quite good also.

Basel, Switzerland
12 attraction reviews
“Less than what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

I understand that this is the Royal Family's residence, but I didn't realize that we would have access to only one room in the entire building. The gardens were nice, but not nearly as impressive as the ones at Dunrobin or Atholl (Blair). The audio tour was helpful (I let my husband listen and he did a fantastic job of sharing the interesting bits).

We hesitated to go on the tour to begin with, but figured that we were here and we might as well do it. I'm not sorry that we did, but at least I now know that I don't need to go back.

Niteroi, RJ
7 attraction reviews
“If it is raining don't waist your money and time!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

We arrived at 4:30pm, half an hour before the last time to enter the castle. It was raining so much that the pathways around the castle were like little rivers. We didn't know that 99% of the visiting was outside! só we bought the tickets to find out that there was only one room to be seen and that to get there we needed to walk jumping over little ponds that were formes by the rain. Summarizing it was the worse tourist experience we had during the 15 days we were in Scotland. They should not sell tickets when it is pouring raining! We felt robbed and would not recomend going to the Balmoral Castle when it is raining.

Christchurch, New Zealand
9 attraction reviews
“Not what it's cracked up to be”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

My wife and I visited in June. I didn't have a problem with the limited access given that it's the royals summer home, but the static displays to me were poor compared with other attractions. The one room you do get to go into is the ballroom and the video is very dated and could do with a good update. While the gardens were nice, I just felt it didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm just not as awe struck as others when it comes to the royals. You need about an hour to do the tour and getting the audioguide does help. You really need only one per couple unless you are going separate ways.

8 attraction reviews
“A right royal palace”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

We visited the palace on a summers day, with the weather giving us a break and the sun coming out. The palace is very nicd to visit with excellent gardens to walk round and the audio which you take with you is an excellent accompliment. Well worth the visit.