“Wedding since refurb” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Bedford
bedfordshire
“Wedding since refurb”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

Went to a wedding here yesterday (08/11) and I must say I was very impressed. Welcomed by front desk and greeted with an arrival drink by happy staff (although for a staff member didn't look like she had a uniform - a smart shirt, trousers and name badge and she would have looked the part!). The food was lovely, big portions, served quickly so it was still hot. Evening buffet was huge and stayed out for long enough for people to enjoy it!

I came to a party here last year before the refurb and it was a bit shabby, but now you can tell that they have really put effort into the hotel and they have a good team working there ...thanks Shirley and Sherri!

Didn't stay over so cannot comment on the rooms. Great town centre location.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
PI_Bedford, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Bedford, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Dear buffybabe

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent visit at the Park Inn Bedford.
I would like to thank you for your comments with regards to the wedding that you attended on the 8th November.
Our goal since the refurbishment is to improve the service and standards within the hotel and I know that your feedback will be appreciated. Please be assured that I will pass on your comments to the team working the event.
Once again thank you for your review
Regards

Simon Smith

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

A few members of my family and myself booked a total of 3 rooms in this hotel for 2 nights as we were attending a funeral in Bedford. The location is excellent, the beds are comfortable, and the linen and towels clean. The breakfast choice is good. But the hotel is in need of some TLC with pokey long corridors and old fashioned windows that build up lots of condensation.

Also on the morning of our second stay, there was no water, neither hot nor cold between 0730-0930 which meant we had 2 hrs of no shower water, tap water or loo water. Reception did not offer any solution, although when I was checking out they informed me that there was an alternate shower I could have used - but no-one informed me of this at the time which was frustrating.

When I complained whilst checking out I was offered a complimentary upgrade for a future stay - which I probably won't avail of. I didn't feel that they handled my complaint as well as they could have.

Overall with the name Radisson in the Hotel name I had expected more.

Room Tip: We were on 3rd floor overlooking a car park and as it was windy outside there was a lot of wind nois...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
PI_Bedford, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Bedford, responded to this review, November 9, 2013
Dear siobhanogorman

Thank you for taking the time to write you valuable and constructive review with regards to your recent stay at the park Inn Bedford. Feedback is for me and the team of the upmost importance to improve the service and quality of the hotel.

Feedback that is written by all our guests for me is taken onboard and read in detail. The hotel you will of noticed has undergone a major ground floor refurbishment and the feedback from our guests continues to be positive. We are aware that there are a number of other areas that need to be addressed including the windows and this major project is planned to be reviewed at the start of 2014. This project will look at a number of the windows within the hotel.

With regards to the issue of no water this was caused by the main pump on the water tanks failing in the early hours of the morning, which in turn prevented the water tank from filling and pumping water to the guest bedrooms and other parts of the hotel. Once we were made aware of this I can assure you that this issue was resolved and a new part has been ordered.

We you value your comments and if you do return back to the hotel please contact me directly and I will ensure that you have a more memorable stay.

Once again I think you for your valuable comments and I apologise for any inconvenience
High Wycombe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

I stayed here at the Park Inn on Saturday 19th October, as I attended a wedding over the road at the Swan. Room rate was well priced at £70.00 room only. Room was basic but very clean, and beds and pillows were comfortable. We had a ground floor room due to earlier check in, so there was a lot of street noise in the early hours of sunday morning which did wake you up. Reception staff very polite and helpful and looked happy to be working there.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Janpem
I was pleased to read your comments about the hotel and the reception team. Please be assured that I will pass these onto the whole team.
Once again I think you for your valuable comments
Leicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

We didn't read the reviews before booking as we got a good deal - two nights B&B + dinner on the first night for £71 via an eBay voucher. The hotel was easy to find, great location on the river and close to the centre and the room we walked into was lovely with great views over Bedford. All good so far! Decided to have a shower before dinner and that's when it started to go wrong!

I climbed into the shower and hit my head on a supporting strut of the glass pane. The bathroom shower (no bath - why do hotel chains pretend they are being eco-friendly by getting rid of baths when really it just saves money?!) was a big step up and if you are tall (I'm 6'2") then you had to duck your head to get under the shower! A small issue but a pain if you are over 5'8!

So off we head to the restaurant - up some stairs with a lovely view over the river. The restaurant was not too busy a small coach load of OAPs having a buffet style carvery and 2 or 3 other couples. No member of staff came to see us to a table so after 5 minutes we decided to find our own! The staff did appear but we could not catch their eye as they were too busy dealing with the OAPs. It took 10 minutes to grab someone's attention and we ordered our meal. The starter was some warm bread with garlic oil and some calamari. 40 minutes later we received three small slices of bread (meant for two!?) and some fried rubber bands masquerading as calamari. Nobody came to ask us if it was okay and after waiting some time again we just wanted our main course. We finally got our main course 1& 1/2 hours after entering the restaurant. The Mrs had ordered coriander and chili lamb rump with sweet potato and sugar snap peas. I ordered pork chop with a pepper sauce, onion rings and fries. The food arrived and we started eating - I realised my pepper sauce had not arrived and finally caught a waiter's eye to ask for it, when it did come I had nearly finished and poured it on only to find that it was cold sauce. My wife's lamb was only warm at best and the veg was over cooked. I don't normally complain about things but the painfully slow service and the poor food I could not ignore.
The young lad who was our waiter must have been new because he looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights and I was being polite! He went off in to the kitchen and came back a little later apologised and said we would not be charged for the meal. We explained that we had already paid as part of the deal and to be fair when he came back for a second time he said we would not be charged for our drinks and ,after my suggestion we were also given a bottle of wine. Nobody came out of the kitchen after that and we were not asked if we would like dessert (but by then we had had enough!
The daft thing about it all was that the OAPs looked like they were getting great service but the other customers were just an afterthought. Breakfast was a thousand times better and one of the best breakfasts we have had.
Overall the hotel was great - spoiled by the restaurant meal which was a real shame - looking back now over previous reviews it seems we are not the only ones to have had this experience!
I do hope they get this sorted because it could have been very good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stev1er

I take on board your comments and apologise for any inconvenience caused. The New Operations Manager is working with the restaurant team to improve the service and standards and I know over the next few weeks this area will see a vast improvement.

Once again I think you for your valuable comments
Gateshead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed at Park Inn Hotel Bedford during our David Urquhart coach trip with brilliant day excursions to Oxford, Cambridge and Royal Windsor.

The Park Inn was in an excellent position, the restaurant overlooked the River Ouse making mealtimes a pleasure as we watched ducks, swans and canoeists passing up and down the river.
Breakfast and evening meal was served as a buffet for our coach party, every meal provided was of an exceptional quality, the only drawback was the wait for fried or poached eggs as they had to be ordered from the kitchen (scrambled were included on the buffet counter) but after a couple of days we realised ordering the eggs when we ate our cereal resulted in the fried or poached egg arriving at just the right time to accompany our full English breakfast.

A comfortable bar in the hotel unfortunately did not offer any entertainment but Bedford has several pubs within easy walking distance. The Kings Arms is only yards away turning left from the hotel entrance. Monday evening we entered their enjoyable quiz, being made most welcome by the quiz master. However 'the old codgers' came a disgraceful last with about half the marks the winners had. I think the 'yummy mummies' woud have been glad of us being there as I ithink it was a nice change for them to not be last. Next evening we visited the Yates pub, turning right at front of Park Inn, a friendly manager suggested we stay for their quiz which would follow the exciting Chelsea footie match we were watching. The pub was mainly filled with students so we were reluctant to compete but amazingly we came first and were delighted to receive a £15 voucher which we happily spent there the following evening while watching another footie match on the telly. Our last night was spent in the Flower Pot pub which was a bit further up the main street but well worth the trek as they had a jam night every Thursday with the most entertaining jammers and a very welcoming Matt and fellow jammers.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 203 as a noisy generator is inches away from the window and the loud buzzing/hum...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
PI_Bedford, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Bedford, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear stayathomenomore,

Thank you for your valuable comments and taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Park Inn Bedford.

Both myself and the team and please that you had an enjoyable stay at the hotel, and please be assured that I will pass on your comments to all the hotel team. I also take on board your comment with regards to the ordering of eggs at breakfast and we will look at ways to improve this.

Once again thank you for your comments and do hope that you return.

Regards

Kent, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

I stayed for a night on business. The building is ugly and the walk from the carpark dingy and convoluted. Check in staff were pleasant but it was annoying that my key card didn't work and I had to trak back down with my case, laptop bag etc .
My single room was spotless and comfortable enough to work in - a big desk area and sensible room layout , though the lighting was poor . Important things when working away - a proper hairdryer , decent shower and lots of hot water , a range of TV channels were all there .
What was most disappointing was the food. I ordered a simple chorizio and tomato linguine. I was served mushy overcooked spaghetti with a cheap tomato sauce ( as you would expect on heinz tinned spaghetti hoops) with some chorizio chunks. At £11, I expected better. A good fresh tomato sauce isn't difficult or expensive to make. I sent it back and was advised the "head chef" had created the replacement. I suspect this was the same plateful with some fresh tomatoes chopped and mixed in. When staying away and working late, the evening meal is really the only break, so improving the food would make a big difference to the overall stay . The staff were good, the place clean and good value. What a shame the food is so poor .

Room Tip: I am not sure that there are "good rooms" , they are all of a similar standard
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
PI_Bedford, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Bedford, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Dear Annaojnric
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Park Inn Bedford. We value all our guest comments, so that we are able to take onboard the feedback and more so improve the service and quality within the hotel.
I have read your comments, and please be assured that I will pass on the comments with regards to the room cleanliness to the housekeeping team. We have a number of rooms within the hotel or different styles and all are of a high leave of cleanliness. I will also pass on your comments with regards to the friendliness of the staff.
I was sorry to read that you did not enjoy the quality of the food. We are undertaking a number of projects within the hotel with regards to the food and food service over the coming weeks that will include the launch of the new menu, retraining of the team and the new head chef been able to create local dishes.
Once again thank you for comments
stokesley
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

My wife & I spent 4 nights at this hotel(23rd-26th Sept.).
We had recently stayed at another hotel in this group- Cardiff & expected it to be of a high standard. It was even better. The location next to the river was ideal for evening strolls & photography. The quality and variety of meals were excellent as were all aspects of service in the hotel bar and restaurant. I can strongly recommend not only this hotel but also the Park Hotel in Cardiff.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PI_Bedford, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson Bedford, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Alan S,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at the Park Inn Bedford. Please be assured that we welcome all feedback and take on board all our guest comments.

I was delighted to read your comments regarding your stay. We have in place a new head chef that joined the hotel a few weeks ago and I know that he is looking at all menu options including the launch of the new RBG menu in October.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Simon Smith

Been to Park Inn by Radisson Bedford? Share your experiences!