“Hidden Gem” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Up till now, I've concentrated on Hotel reviews. However, it occurred to me that I visit more eateries than I do Hotels and when I am in unknown territory its good to have a review of these.

So, the Shaha - This is a 2nd floor Restaurant with the entrance tucked away just off Botchergate. The first impressions when entering are that the decor is somewhat 'plain' compared to other Indian establishments - do not let this put you off! I have eaten here 3 times over the last 2 months and the food & service has been good on all occasions. I would recommend that you include a chicken dish in your food choice, as the chef appears to have a great understanding of marinating his poultry and my best description is 'succulent'!
If you'd like to take my advice a little further, I suggest that you order the Chicken Pakora - its devine!

If you're in Carlisle (which is a very lively place - particularly Botchergate), then don't miss the Shaha if you fancy a damn good Indian meal!

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

72% Recommend
“Exceeds expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012 via mobile

Distinctive Indian restaurant with strong feel of authenticity. Pleasant atmosphere with very tasty food.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
CARLISLE, United Kingdom
“Quick service, delicious food, great value for money :0)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Speedy food delivered to the table fresh and fast.
Nan breads were piping hot with light dough brushed with butter - the best in town.
We will be visiting again soon.

• Visited October 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Give the oinion bhajis a miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

The Bhajis were as tough as old boots , the chicken vindaloo was about as hot as a korma the only good bit about the meal was the mango chutney.
the chapaties burnt will not return.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Never listen to a local cabbie”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I've never had such a bad indian meal as I did hear on Friday 12/10/12 .Me and three friends had organised to go to an Indian restraurant [the teza] on our visit to Carlisle last weekend but we used a local taxi to take us on a trip and asked him about our booking to which he replied ''the best indian restaurant is the Shaha in Carlisle'' and then told us the teza was a bad choice.We duly cancelled our booking and arranged to go to his choice Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!All of us agreed the service was crap the food was even worse,we are all curry eaters and chose a wide selection of fare from their extensive menu.and not one of them hit the spot.It was that bad that we didn't even bother to complain as nothing they could have done would have made it better and it was better to leave with our head held high rather than have an argument with rude staff.BEST PLAN IS GIVE IT A WIDE BERTH.

• Visited October 2012