“Great food & great atmosphere!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 272 Restaurants in Carlisle
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Great food & great atmosphere!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012 via mobile

Been twice to the crown, one as a treat for valentines day where the food was to die for, best steak I've ever had no fat what so ever, great romantic atmosphere, there was a harpist playing for everyone. And a Rose for the lady at the end. Great touch. The second was a treat for mothers day and this was equally as good and a little plant for the mothers. Both had great menus and I couldn't fault the service, the staff couldn't do enough to help. Would recommend ... A very happy customer x

“A birthday treat!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

I have lived in the area for many years and visited the Conservatory Restaurant on several occasions and, until now, I have never been terribly impressed. The service now proved excellent and the food certainly surpassed all expectations despite it being chef's day off! We all left replete, slightly tipsy and most definitely in need of a few sessions in The Leisure Club.

• Visited September 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Wales
“Food Service and setting - Faultless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2011

On arrival in the restaurant area we were greeted by a pleasant young lady who confirmed our booking and took our drinks order. We were seated in a lovely spot overlooking the immaculate gardens. Starters were quick to arrive and my wife had what she described as the best ever smoked haddock risotto she had ever tasted.
Main courses were not a dissapointment either with beutifully presented dishes of rump steak with cottage pie and the nicest trout dish.
My wife literally didn't have room for desert and I chose a nice selection of local cheeses.
If anyone has reservations about hotel restaurants being too formal - forget them !
Throughout the meal the service was efficient, friendly and very relaxed. Overall I would rate the whole experience 10 out of 10.

• Visited April 2011
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Not my first choice for a meal but what a gem, it's on my list now!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2011

A close friend recommended the restaurant after having a private dinner 3 weeks ago and said the food was wonderful. I didn't think 'Hotel' food wood be that good so forever the skeptic, I decided to give it a go. I wasn't disappointed.....

My friend and I committed the cardinal sin for restaurants by arriving 10 minutes late for our booking. We expected to be 'sniffed' at for this but the restaurant manager who greeted us was very friendly and warm and led us into the lounge for pre-dinner drinks. We were given nibbles of walnuts, olives and homemade crisps which were a very nice touch. He was very knowledgeable about the food & wine and even better, which was the better Gin!!!

Our table was in the terrace which is a section off the main restaurant but very cosy and feels a bit more private. We were introduced to our waitress for the evening, Kirsty, who was very sweet and attentive.

The food was wonderfully presented and cooked to perfection. The black pudding dish I had for starter just melted in the mouth. We were given a complimentary sorbet between the starter and main course and as we couldn't decide which dessert to have, we chose the Assiette which was a selection of 3 of them. My friend is on a strict low fat diet so had several requests of no sauces etc which was no problem for them at all although she did let herself go a little and had the assiette too (but we won't tell anyone).

The service was perfect and although we were late it didn't make any difference to them as we were treated with courtesy and friendliness all evening. All in all it was an eye opener and totally different from the usual Indian, Italian and Chinese I usually go for.

I will certainly recommend this hotel restaurant to all my friends and family and will be returning soon, maybe with a group to try their 'private dining' !

• Visited May 2011
“excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

On arrival all staff were very friendly and in the lounge area nibbles were served with drinks before the meal which I thought was a nice touch. Rachael who took our order was very knowledgeable of the menu and gave some great recommendations.
Service and food in the restaurant was fantastic, presentation of food was particularly interesting, and the conservatory had a good atmosphere as there was a nice view of the gardens.
overall it was a great dining experience, and would highly recommend it to others.

• Visited March 2011