“Friendly owners, good location, room could do with an update” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Lodge Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carlisle
Howard Lodge Guest House
You added Howard Lodge Guest House to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Guest house   |   90 Warwick Rd, Carlisle CA1 1JU , England   |
Ranked #12 of 65 Carlisle B&B and Inns
London
“Friendly owners, good location, room could do with an update”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We were staying here when walking Hadrian's Wall and its location was very good - very close to the centre and close to the wall, too.

It's a massive B&B so it does feel quite private and almost hotel-like, which is nice. Lots of amenities - nice teas, DVDs, books for you to use, and a very good breakfast with yummy fruit. They took good care of us.

The only issue was that the rooms could do with updating. Our room looked as though it had not been decorated for many years and had a slight lingering smell of smoke (I think that the owners might smoke in their private areas and it wafts through?).

But, if the furniture and decor were updated, then this could be a 5/5.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Used this b&b as a stop off on our journey, overall impression how clean it is. Very comfortable and a fantastic choice of breakfasts.. Owners very pleasant and helpfull, the weather was exceptionally bad on the trip down, we were given a flask of coffee in case it was required. We used to stop at one of the hotels - not any more, we will be using here again.. Also within walking distance of a choice of restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013 via mobile

i stayed a couple of nights in march..genuine warm welcome...clean comfortable well appointed room everything you could ask for....amazing value for money.....i had a peacefull comfortable stay.....i would strongly recomemd this place its the best ive stayed in and ive stayed in many around britain..this place is punching well above its 3star rating.....
.R.Hall

• Stayed March 2013
berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I stayed at Howard Lodge just before Christmas and was very impressed. I didn't expect much from a B&B usually staying in hotels, but Howard Lodge definitely turned that opinion around. The rooms were lovely, super clean and very comfortable. And the hosts Charlotte & Tony could not have been more accommodating, I truly felt like I was an extended member of their family staying in their big hearty home. Nothing was too much for them. I would definitely recommend anyone to stay here if travelling to Carlisle and it is also only 5 mins walks from the town so the perfect location. Warm, lovely atmosphere, clean comfy home and great home-comfort food.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Myself, my husband a 2 children recently spent 2 nights at Howard Lodge Guest House. Our family room was spacious and didn't feel cramped even with 4 of us in. The whole place was spotlessly clean. The owners, Charlotte and Tony, were very friendly and helpful answering any questions we had and providing lots of useful tips and local knowledege. Breakfast was delicious, a great choice including various cereal's, fresh fruit salad, yoghurts and an excellant cooked breakfast, my husband is vegatarian and especially enjoyed Howard Lodge's vegatarian options. Overall an brilliant stay and we will definately return.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

I decided to stay at Howard Lodge Guest House at the last minute as the hotel I had booked cancelled my overnight stay. I was slightly reluctant to book a B&B as I usually stay in hotels when travelling on business but Howard Lodge has free WiFi so I thought I would try it for a change and I'm glad I did. I was met with a warm welcome from Charlotte & Tony and shown to a very spacious room with a very comfortable bed!!Charlotte & Tony were very helpful in recommending somewhere close by for an evening meal. The highlight had to be the breakfast from cereal & fruit salad to a full English, the choices were excellent & much better than what I am used to from some hotels, I only wish I was staying another night to sample more off the menu!! I would highly recommend staying here for business or pleasure.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very nice B&B, well situated, close to the Hadrian's Wall path, and also close to the centre of town and the railway station. Warm welcome. Very kind hosts. WiFi. Good, large and generous breakfast. The problem was that we were in a room on the street and had lots of noise coming from the traffic. The shower was a disaster, extremely weak, no pressure. It took for ever to shower.

Room Tip: Avoid absolutely room 4 if you can. It is on the street therefore extremely noisy and the shower is...