“Speechless” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Newton Stewart, United Kingdom
“Speechless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

One of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed in. Our room was in the turret, full of character and spotlessly clean. We explored the whole building and just loved all the wee windows, gleaming wood, and potential to make it even more so. Our evening meal was absolutely delicious, couldn't fault anything. Staff friendly and eager to please. Breakfast was one of the best I've ever had, REAL sausages! Not the buy 50 for £2 variety........ Only criticism was checking out, no proper reception and had to hang about.....

Room Tip: The turret room with its sunken bath, stained glass windows and sheer size is worth every penny for...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Winchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Nice old building with a lot of original features. Excellent dinner in the restaurant, both food and service.
Some nice quirky aspects to the hotel. Although the new marquee style extension is a high standard, it wrecks the views and ambience of the property and a more sympathetically coloured roof would have been much more appropriate.
Breakfast service and food not as good and total cost pricey.
However, in overall terms, recommended.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed whilst visiting friends in Armathwaite on 224th May.
I think we were lucky there was no wedding on as it meant there was more space and lots of attention from staff.
We had dinner in an oak panelled room which probably would have been used by the wedding party. It was good food but I agree the steak is overpriced.
Bedroom was large and comfortable but not many toiletries. Ours did overlook a yard type area that was not very nice as an outlook.
Breakfast was not a buffet which we prefer as it means the food is freshly made.
Staff were young but very pleasant

Room Tip: Ask for one with a nice view!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Lancaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Lovely old hotel,nice grounds.We had a nice welcome,booked a superior room which came with large jacuzzi bath in the bedroom,which had coloured lights and twinkly stars on ceiling.Also had nice bathroom with shower.Had large steak for supper paid £22 for it then another £3 for potatoes and £3 for veg which is more than we would usually pay but it was nicely cooked and presented.Breakfast was good,waitresses could have been more friendly,the lad that had been on duty when we arrived and also was on the bar was very nice and talkative.The only thing that let it down was a humming noise that could have been air conditioning or a fan was a bit distracting when trying to sleep.All in all a pleasant hotel where we would stop again.

Room Tip: we were in room 1 a superior room which was really nice,but spoilt by a humming noise when trying to...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for bussiness purposes was supposed to be for two nights but ended up only staying one.
I was shown to my room which looked great. On checking the pillows because i'm allergic to feathers, i noticed a ditry mark on the pillow case.
On futher inspection I found the bed had many short dark hairs under the duvet ! Obviously the bed had not been changed from the previous resident !
I complained and it was duly changed only to find they changed the pillows but not the pillow cases so still had the dirty mark on !
The young lad on reception couldnt of been more helpful as apposed to the gentlemen I spoke to later that evening. He obviously didnt like me complaining, and I felt it was my fault.
I had reason to speak to him again as I could not get wifi in the room so went to the bar no problem. When I went back to my room to relax this was impossible as a vibrating roller had started up next to the hotel and was buzzing the room. This did not stop till 8:30 in the mean time the owner replied I have to get my building work done ! Total disregard for residents and no apology.
I made my intentions clear that I would not be stopping another night. When checking out in the morning he refused to discuss.
I was extremely unhappy with the level of service, oh and one extra thing, its not rocket science to heat the plates the food is served on as my steak was stone cold half way through !! never again will I use this hotel.

Room Tip: Dont choose the room in the tower as the bed is so unsupportive and you will roll to the middle
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2014

I originally booked to visit this hotel for my husbands 30th birthday. However, due to illness I had to cancel our visit on the day we were meant to check in. The owner very nicely offered us a list of other alternative weekends which we could go instead. On arrival the place looks grand and a perfect place to stop on a cold winters evening. The hall was set up for a wedding and looked stunning. The bedroom was stylish but in keeping with the age of the property. The bathroom could possible need a little bit of work on it but still very useable. We stayed in the hotel for food and drinks and yes the food it alittle on the expensive side but it was delicious. Would definitely visit this place again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Colne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

My partner and I stayed in room one, the junior suite, and it was comfortable. The hotel was clean and the staff pleasant. Our only gripe was the price. We were not prepared to pay £26 for a steak and I mean just the steak. If you wanted chips, potatoes, seasonal veg etc they were £3 each! We would highly recommend The Bridge End Inn restaurant a couple of miles down the road in Dalston. A three course meal there roughly works out about a third of the price of the Hall's menu and it's delicious

Room Tip: Room one is above the bar and can be heard
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Dalston Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!