“Most Delicious food” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Cockermouth, England, United Kingdom
“Most Delicious food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Attended large party held at the Gilded Lily on Friday night. The whole place was buzzing I arrived late and just had to wait a couple of minutes to get served at the bar. Prices for non alcoholic drinks were what you would expect for a city centre bar. Everyone else had already ordered but it was no problem for the staff who were very swift and polite. I didn't order a starter but they looked delicious, very good portion sizes and a good selection. I ordered the Rump steak with puree of celeriac and wilted spinach with fondant potato. £15.95 Every mouthful was heaven . The steak was just perfect and huge. I just had room for a Malibu and vanilla creme brulee £5.95 again very yummy and just the right amount. A perfect evening and I couldn't fault anything. I would say this may be not the best choice at the weekend for a romantic meal for 2 as it was loud and lively but I wouldn't hesitate during the week.
I would go back and recommend to everyone.

• Visited September 2012

Carlisle, United Kingdom
“The one to visit.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The Lily is also owned by the same person who has The Thin White Duke, so therefore it goes wihtout saying that in my opinion it is the place to head for in Carlisle. The food is really good and the atmosphere is buzzing everyone heads there at the weekends. It is another great place for couples and "girlie nights" out and in a great location in the city centre. Iwould definitely recommend the Guilded Lily.

Visited May 2012
Bournemouth
“Great food, great atmosphere, great service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

We were in a hurry to find a lunch spot in Carlisle as we were on a train trip that got delayed. We had to cancel our table booked at Davids Restaurant as they have such limitted opening hours and we were running late. So we walked around near the station and came accross the Gilded Lily, which is beautifully presented. The style is kind of art deco, really clean and cool and a lovely mix of furnishings. They serve food all afternoon and the bar staff were really helpful in finding us a table and getting menus to us. We told the waitress that we had limitted time as we had to be on a train, and despite the fact that the place was pretty full, they delivered on service. It was a great shame in a way as we would have loved to sit there gossiping over wine and food for hours, as its such a lovely atmosphere. The food was also really good and reasonably priced and there is a good selection of wines. The dishes are beautifully presented and I think the sauces must be made by an inspired chef as they were unusual. I had the duck which was perfectly cooked and came with ginger and chilli puree and pomegranite sauce as well as confit duck mash - it was wonderful! My husband had the more traditional cumberland sausage with sage mash, black pudding and a delicious red wine sauce. If we go back to carlisle we will definitly re-visit this place and try to spend a little more time there!

Airdrie, United Kingdom
“brilliant lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

we found this restaurant by accident,glad we did,fabulous decor very clean throughout,toilets very very clean and modern.the table was set out very good food was excellent and home cooked,lovely chunky chips.my partner is from taiwan and is very critical of out restaurants but this one was given highest marks..........that is a first.the burgur is home made and a good size ,really enjoyed ourselves and 10/10 to the staff,even though they were very busy. thank you hope to see you again.

Dumfries, United Kingdom
“Very Rude Owner!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

My 2 sisters in law and I went to The Gilded Lily on Saturday night for some cocktails and a nice meal. The cocktails were lovely and the food was great and we were having a lovely time. The bar was buzzing and very noisy a great saturday evening atmosphere. We asked a member of staff for our bill and were told they wanted us to leave anyway as we were being too noisy, we were mortified as the whole bar was quite loud and we did'nt think we had been any louder than anyone else. We went to the bar to pay and were confronted by the bar owner who said that yes we had been very noisy and would we leave, I think the way we were treated was disgusting and no way to treat three paying customers who were simply enjoying a night out and causing no disruption to anyone else. I think the owner could do with a lesson in customer relations, although I don't think he will be bothered, we will never be back and will be letting all our family and friends know what The Gilded Lily is like very poor show!!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere