“Really looking forward to eating at The Crown.. but maybe next time!!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Crown

Improve this listing
Ranked #67 of 362 Restaurants in Colchester
Good for: Doing business, Local cuisine, Entertaining clients
Boston
“Really looking forward to eating at The Crown.. but maybe next time!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

My husband and I stopped into The Crown today at ~5:45 pm. We decided we would see if they could fit us in for an early dinner as we know this is a very popular place. A nice gentleman came by while we were waiting at the bar and said yes, we could sit inside or outside at any table that was not reserved. He also indicated that the menus would be ready soon (whatever that meant, but again, it was only 5:45). Great, we went outside and sat at a table and waited. After 10-15 minutes we decided to go and get a table inside as the weather was a bit windy. So in we go and we sit at one of the unreserved tables. No one comes to bring menus. After another 5-10 minutes go by we decided to leave. We guess that no one was told we were outside and we probably should have gone to the bar to alert someone that we were waiting for menus but it just wasn't worth it. Trust me, we are not complicated and I don't write many reviews (some of the detail that is gone into in some reviews is a bit too picky and frankly over the top for my taste). However we thought if it was this difficult to get menus we might end up waiting a long time for the food and we were rather tired. So, we do hope that when we return to Suffolk next time we will be able to finally eat at The Crown, as the decor is great and the man was perfectly polite. I read another reviewer who said that they were outside and placed their order at the bar but there is waited service inside. So maybe we just misunderstood the protocol but it would have been nice if someone told us what it was. `

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
RMSunderland, Owner at The Crown, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
I’m so sorry that you weren’t able to stay to eat with us on this occasion. Our terrace is particularly enticing in this lovely sunny weather (with patio heaters to take the chill off as the evening progresses) and we have just introduced our new menu with some wonderful seasonal dishes to choose from.
I do hope that you’ll visit us again when you can be assured of our best service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Colchester
“So disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I wanted to do something nice for my friend. It was her wedding anniversary and she had not been able to plan anything because she was overwhelmed, having lost her father very recently and needing to assist her mother who was going in for spinal surgery in two days. I was so excited that their favorite restaurant, The Crown, allowed me to book them a table and organize to pay for everything. I requested a bottle of expensive champagne to be waiting for them.

I was so disappointed to hear that they had no champagne and had received a bill at the end of the night. I called to complain and the staff were quite apologetic, saying that they were busy and the message had not gotten to the restaurant about my special plans. I asked if they could cancel my friends credit card transaction and allow me to pay over the phone. To that, they responded that they had hundreds of receipts and could not guarantee that I was paying the right bill. Their only suggestion was that I could now buy gift vouchers that the couple could then redeem on another night. I don't know how it was sufficient for the restaurant to have so completely botched what was meant to be a precious reprieve from the stress of a difficult time and then expected that I would jump at the opportunity to give them more business. No offer of a discount or free drink or anything for their acknowledged failure. If they are that busy, certainly they don't need my business.

London, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal and good for children too”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We have eaten here many times before but not with the kids (8 and 11) so decided to give it a try.
The kids menu is limited but there is something on there for everyone. Our kids chose margarita pizza and loved them, apparently much nicer than 'Pizza Express' !! The pizzas were quite large, clearly homemade and delicious. For pudding they chose scoop of ice cream, which again was a good portion and at £2.50, a good price too.
Our adult meals were delicious as well and we could enjoy them even more knowing the kids were happy with their food too!
We would definitely return as a family here again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey, Uk
“A visit after 4 years' break and The Crown is still excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I have been to The Crown several times over the last six years. This year, once again the menu was interesting, the wines superb and the food very good indeed. The starter of scallops was very well executed but I would have liked a bigger helping of scallops! My companion loved his very generous portion of fish and chips and my asparagus and goat cheese with Jersey potatoes did not disappoint. A mini rhubarb crumble was just a tiny bit disappointing as it was more like a moist cake than a crumble but overall we had a lovely meal.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Always a pleasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

Whether it was for a nice lunch or the girlfriends birthday a couple of years ago. The Crown never fails to impress. Stopped off for some lunch with the family, and as usual, food was sublime. As was a couple of drinks in the sunshine. Thank you and we will see you again soon.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere