“The best food and service in a beautiful place” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Colchester, United Kingdom
“The best food and service in a beautiful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I agree. This was the best food we have eaten for a long time. What a huge treat and right on our doorstep. There is a hotel attached for you poor folk who will have to travel to this excellent restaurant. I could fill a page waxing lyrical about the wonderful food and its artistic (but not over fussy) presentation. My wife was truly in seventh heaven over the pudding. The wine was recommended by a friendly and very helpful maitre. It was superb and in perfect condition. It was less than £20 and matched the food choice very well.

After lunch we had coffee in a gorgeous lounge in the lovingly restored old building. We saw people tucking in to afternoon teas (Yes it took us that long to eat an unhurried lunch). Everyone seemed really happy and there was a lovely sense of occasion generated by the staff.

All the staff should be given commendations for creating a faultless restaurant and given an immediate pay rise! We shall return.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Wickham Bishops, United Kingdom
“The dogs dusters of a lunch.....!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

As we left I said to my other half for Christ sake don't tell anyone about this place but, then again I have now digested and that would be a disservice to an absolute gem on the outskirts of Colchester. The hotel as described by others is a training facility and boy do you get the benefit of laid back, friendly unstuffy service in the Brasserie. Everyone is keen to please and takes a great deal of pride in their delivery and project they are involved in.

Being the Brasserie I did not think the food would be as polished and fine dining quality. A good blend on the menu with what looked like a fab burger going off the pass. My partner chose the crab starter with brown crab meat ice cream I had the goats cheese truffle starter, both were excellent and would not be out of place in a top tier restaurant.

Mains yielded similar grin factor with pork belly and lamb respectively. Both cooked to perfection, both plates finished to a high standard.

Deserts chosen from a varied choice, would have been happy with any, were the treacle tart with orange jelly and condensed milk ice cream. On the other side of the table was banana, peanut butter, bread and butter pudding with rum and raisin ice cream........ B£&:?y awesome!

Wine was a simple choice of a light Italian red for £17 which was a delight. Total bill including tip was £90. I have dined in many starred restaurants and this was on a par. Trust me you will not be disappointed and bearing in mind this is a university facility the standard should always be this good.

We are definitely going back for the afternoon tea which looked epic served with a cheeky miniature lemonade!

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Mersea Island, United Kingdom
“Delightful and with great wheelchair friendly facilities!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

A glorious, unique hotel with excellent service standards and delicious food. My father is wheelchair dependant and we found the separate access and good disabled toilet facilities and lift allowed him to enjoy eating with the family and seeing the whole of the hotel.
We have eaten in the Brasserie restaurant for a light lunch, enjoyed one of their delightful teas in the beautiful lounge as well as just meeting for quick business meeting over a cup of coffee. The service has always been friendly and spot on!
The only downside is that parking can prove to be a problem as the place gets very busy. There are a few disabled spaces near the main entrance and the car park itself is small but there is overspill although that gets filled up very quickly.
We meet up with friends after Xmas and this year we chose a fine dining experience in the Signatures restaurant. So glad we did as it was fabulous. One of our party has an allergy to garlic and is also vegetarian and we had forgotten to let the hotel know until the morning of our booking. The hotel assured us it wasn't a problem and they were not wrong! When they brought round our menus, they had prepared an individual one for our friend. Each course was similar to ours and made her feel really special. The manager and staff explained each course and also we received surprise chefs treats in between the courses.
Needless to say we have booked again for our 'after Xmas meet up in January 2014!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We had a lovely sunday afternoon tea here. We sat at a beautiful set table in the bay window overlooking the grounds. Everything was well presented & tasted delicious, and the tea was regularly replenished.
The staff were all really friendly, frequently checking that everything was ok.
My 'mother-in-law' said she'd remember it for a very long time!
We'd definately return for a special occasion.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
London
“Lovely afternoon tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

My sisters and I took our mum for an afternoon tea here and it was lovely. We were in comfy sofas next to a beautiful fireplace with staff who were both attentive and extremely friendly. The manager was great, he came over to check we were ok and get our feedback which was great to see. The food was delicious, some real beautiful creations that I would have gladly eaten more of but I was so full by the end that it would have been impossible! If I was going to criticise anything it is that we were positioned in what felt like the entrance to the restaurant. We were the first there and I suspect the sofas are a premium spot as we had loads of space but there was a lot of people coming and going as it was seating just outside the main restaurant on route to the entrance and bathrooms. However, that was a small niggle on what was an otherwise fabulous treat! Price wise it worked out around £17 per head, which I think is average. However a lot of places do offers or group buy sites now so even though this was worth the money for a special treat and in a fab location I would be very hesitant booking again if somewhere else had an offer on.

• Visited February 2013