“Old fashioned but comfy beds” 2 of 5 stars

BEST WESTERN Rose & Crown Colchester
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   East Street, Colchester CO1 2TZ, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save up to 50% off stays!
Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Colchester
Solihull
“Old fashioned but comfy beds”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Would not of paid the full price of £150 per room and glad we only paid the discounted cost for a Wedding that we attended. Rooms old fashioned and some areas of the room dusty. Food in the hotel was a rip off £3.50 for a "bowl" of chips - 14 chips in the bowl so worked out to 25p per chip. Staff were helpful and polite but the prices were extortionate. As I have family in Colchester the hotel was handy to the venue and church but if ever I go to visit again I will find. Holiday inn or something similar

Room Tip: If you like unite and no disruption rooms at the rear of the hotel would be suitable
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

We booked two rooms here after it seemed to be the only hotel in Colchester that catered for my disabled mum's needs. Often hotels will advertise 'disabled' rooms then when you research further the bathroom has a bath with shower above which to many disabled people is inadequate. Although the rates seemed more expensive than we would normally pay (£100 per room per night), I booked it purely for the fact their accessible room had a wet room and hence was fully 'disabled.'

Overall I would say the hotel is clean, well presented, and the staff were very good at dealing with an issue we experienced (see below for more detail). However I would say that it is not really worth the price as the rooms were actually quite average in terms of decor/quality of fittings etc. We also had a lot of road noise which could have been resolved very simply by installing heavier doors and/or putting sealing around the existing external doors.

So the problem we experienced- this was the morning we were due to check out of the hotel and we found that we had no hot water to have showers. I contacted reception and the manager was very apologetic and said they have plumbing issues in our part of the building at present. He also offered myself and my partner (able-bodied) an alternative room in a part of the building that had hot water, so that we could shower. However as there was only one disabled room my mum had to go without a shower. As they could not resolve this issue we were refunded one night's stay. To be fair, there was no more they could have done but for £100 a night it was disappointing that they were unable to provide something as basic as hot water to all parts of the building.

A final comment - It seems odd to me that the management have invested probably a great deal of money refurbishing a separate building and have created the potential for disabled rooms by installing a lift in the building. Why not make at least one of the rooms in this block fully disabled by installing a wet room? Instead they have created 'semi disabled rooms' which means level access but an ordinary en suite bathroom thus not a disabled room at all.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We stayed here earlier in the year just as a stop over, on arrival we were made to feel very welcome. Our room was great, it was like going back in time! it also had a lovely comfortable four poster bed.
We decided to eat in the restaurant down stairs and boy am i pleased we did, i had the most stunning fish and chips ever which over hung my plate! it really was a great meal, the batter was light and the fish moist, its a shame we live over 200 miles away!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Watford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for one night, were upgraded to executive suite. Was a very good room was told it could be noisy but did not hear anything. Good english breakfast next morning. Staff very friendly barman was helpful letting us know how to get to the hen night resturant

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Rose and Crown has two great assets: history of being the oldest hotel in the oldest British city and the staff who provide state of the art service. The reception staff and night porter are so polite, understanding, quick to figure out what you need and very, very helpful. I ordered packages to come to the hotel for me and they were more than happy to take them for me. The breakfast is very nice, with Continental and English options and the staff are happy to accommodate all special dietary needs. The two reasons why I did not give them a five star rating is that it is quite a walk away from the High Street and the rooms are quite small (despite a very large bathroom) and beds a bit uncomfortable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Rose and Crown is a charming building. The location is unfortunate. No outside space other than the car park. Two roads and a railway nearby. I requested a quiet room prior to staying, the reception staff were frank and indicated that there would inevitably be some noise given the location. However, the room allocated was fine ,little or no noise was noticeable. My wife and I enjoyed 3 good nights sleep (and I am fussy regarding noise)
The reception staff could not be more pleasant and helpful. I cannot understand previous negative remarks in this aspect.
Generally the dining room staff tried quite hard to please, despite not seeming to have any direction or management. We were in a group and sadly some of us had to wait 1 hour for our breakfast...not acceptable. The food was average, but nothing special. Charging £2.50 extra for haddock or smoked salmon for breakfast is silly, I have never encountered such a surcharge in any other hotel.
If I were choosing an hotel in Colchester myself , rather than it being chosen as part of a package, I would not choose the Rose and Crown, primarily because if the location.

Room Tip: overlooking the car park is the best option.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Darwen, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stopped here for 2 days with our 2 young children. We found it very charming and full of character. The staff were very pleasant. When there was no soap in the bathroom they were very apologetic and sorted it out straight away. We stopped in the old part of the building which was full of old twisted beams with plenty of character, I was kept awake the second night by noises from above us which was a bit of a mystery as the receptionist said it was just an empty attic room above, make of it as you will. The breakfast was of the expected quality for a best western hotel. Some people were complaining of the traffic noise low ceilings, staircases that go here there and everywhere and uneven floors and the fact it does not have a garden. If things like that are important to you i would suggest you stop in a more modern hotel. If you like historical places then i would suggest this one. One more thing to note, it is a good 20 minute walk into town from here though there is a public transport service if this is a problem

Room Tip: There are some more modern rooms available, but i have heard the sound of traffic still comes throug...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Rose & Crown Colchester? Share your experiences!