“spa day relaxation at clarice house” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 25 Activities in Colchester
essex
“spa day relaxation at clarice house”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

my husband and I went to clarice house for our 15th wedding anniversary on a superior bliss day buy one get one free, £155 in total for 3 treatments each and 2 course lunch each. Very good value as I totted up the treatments alone to be £70 each. Lunch was lovely, service great, sat outside on arrival with coffee in the sunshine which helped lovely gardens and patio. Bit too much paperwork on arrival but could see this eased stress on the day! The spa ladies and matthew in particular April were outstanding in the back massage treatment thank you, will ask for you both again next time. Want to return as soon as possible, left feeling refreshed, relaxed and in love again

Wickford, United Kingdom
“A lovely day”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2013

Seven of us went for my future daughter-in-laws hen day. I was concerned as I had read some not-so-good write ups. We had a fabulous day. The weather was beautiful which always helps, so we were able to sit on the patio between treatments and also had a sunbathe on the lawns. The grounds are lovely. We all had three treatments each. I do understand when some people have written that the treatments are a bit like a conveyor belt system. The food was lovely. We all came away completely relaxed and replenished. I am now looking to see what offers they have as I would love to take my mum and daughter.

London
“Clarice House systemmatically cuts treatments short”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I made the mistake of purchasing 5 spa day/evening vouchers upfront when Clarice House had a buy one get one free offer on. After the first visit I regretted this as they short changed me on my treatment times and I could see it was a systematic policy - I had an hour treatment and a 30 minute treatment booked but despite this the therapist finished in one hour and ten minutes - short changing me by 20 minutes! This short changing has happened on all of my visits.

On the last visit I was there with my sister for a present I had given her. We were booked for a 90 minute twin room treatment - we went in 5 minutes late and were out 5 minutes early. I complained to the staff at the desk and they said the manager would speak to me later. When this conversation occurred the manager tried to tell me that their 'time stamp' on their CCTV recording us going in showed us going in 5 minutes early, not 5 minutes late. I pointed out to her that I didn't care what the timestamp said as I had measured our entry and exit times from the reception clock (the treatment room was directly opposite so took seconds to walk over to). Regardless of whether the CCTV timer and the reception clock were in sink, the bottom line was that we had only had an appointment lasting 1 hour and 20 minutes, rather than one hour and 30 minutes. The implication of the beauty managers' comment, quite obviously, was either that my sister and I were unable to tell the time, or that we were lying - neither of which were true and neither of which were the way to handle the entirely legitimate complaint. The bottom line is that Clarice House have a 'rack em and stack em spa policy' and their 25 minute massage is a 15 minute massage with 5 minutes for changing each side - if you change quickly (who needs 5 whole minutes at each end), you end up coming out early and they don't care that the treatment time isn't as advertised.

The reception staff and some of the therapists give off quite a very unfriendly vibe and the assistant manager in the restaurant has to be the grumpiest person in the world (my vouchers took 3 years to use up and she has never once been friendly).

The treatment quality is also quite poor - the last massage I had wasn't even co-coordinated and executed in the same style on each side of my body - even a novice know's thats not right for massage.

My advice would be to pay a bit extra and go to a proper spa elsewhere; Clarice House are scrimping far too much on treatment times and they ought to reap what they sow in terms of their customer base.

Visited June 2013
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Clarice House in Colchester”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Reading some of the reviews about people's experiences at Clarice House in Colchester I just wanted to say that I have been going to Clarice House for quite a few years and I have found the swimming pool area to be wonderful and the restaurant and staff superb. I have had many meals there and the food has always been presented beautifully and tasted wonderful. The staff are helpful and kind.. The big pool is meant to be a little cooler than the smaller spa pool as people, like me, who go there to swim for exercise do not need it to be hot. If you want to just stand in the pool and chat with friends then you could do that in the warmer spa pool. If some people have just gone there once and had a bad experience then that has been unfortunate, but I wonder if some people just enjoy complaining. I would say to anyone thinking of going to Clarice House to go and try it for themselves. The building is set in a lovely location and on a nice summers day there is nothing better than sitting on their patio overlooking the gardens with a drink or a coffee. I have always found the prices to be good value for money there. So give it a try and see for yourself. In view of the hundreds of people that use Clarice House each week, it is only natural that a handful of people will find something to complain about.

London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing day with the wife”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I bought this as a birthday present for my wife. We were given breakfast, lots of choice, whilst filling in our forms. We had bacon sandwiches and orange juice, which were nice, whist preordering lunch with the lovely views of the beautiful grounds in the background.

You are given your towels, robes and slippers and we went to relax in the spa, they have two pools, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna and plenty of sunbeds, very calm.

Then we had lunch which is cooked to a very high standard, the staff were friendly and nothing seemed too much. We had 3 courses, with champagne and wine and thoroughly enjoyed it.

For the treatments we were collected by our therapists, who made us feel very at ease. As we had booked as a couple we had our treatments in the same room which was great. We both had hour-long facials and were consulted on our specific skin types, which is good as my wife has skin allergies, and they were able to change the treatment to suit this. Both the treatments were enjoyed fully in a very relaxing environment.

We had a great time and my wife has already booked to go back with her friends. Thanks to the team at Clarice House

Visited June 2013