“Lovely day, good food and treatments.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 25 Activities in Colchester
Clacton - Essex
7 attraction reviews
“Lovely day, good food and treatments.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Busy check in, in the morning. A free tea/coffee whilst you have to fill out 2 pages of paperwork would be nice.
Couldn't fault the treatments or beauticians or the food all very good.
A word of warning drinks are very expensive, although water is free. The place is very hot, so makes you want to drink more!
Hair straighteners in the changing room would make a good finishing touch.
All in all a lovely day, would give it an 8/10

Visited April 2013

UK
3 attraction reviews
“Lovely day!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I went to Clarice House with my sister for a spa day. We booked a special offer with Buy a gift and had a 25% off code on top of that so it worked out about £50 each. With this package we got a 25 min facial, a 25 min massage and a 25 min manicure/pedicure, aswell as access to the spa facilities for the day, and a 2 course lunch.

On arrival we went through to a small dining room where 4 ladies were waiting to take our voucher and check our confirmation etc. We were sat down at a table where we filled out our health forms and was told about lunch. We looked at the menu and chose what we wanted. Someone then came over and explained a bit about our day and where to go. Other people got robes but our voucher didnt include robes or slippers so we took our own! Check before you go as if you don't bring your own robe they cost £20 to buy and you can't hire them!

The changing rooms are spacious and pretty clean, and the lockers had to be shared between the 2 of us but were big enough for a bag and shoes. These were free to use but we were told there would be a £5 fee if this was lost. The toilets were OK but could have been a bit cleaner and nicer smelling!

Once we were changed we went through to the spa bit. There is a fairly large pool (big enough to do lengths), a warmer pool with places to sit and some bubble jets! There is also a small jacuzzi which was lovely and warm, a sauna (which was far too hot!!!), a steam room, and a steam aromatherapy room. They have loungers all round the pool, there was enough for everyone but are wooden and not that comfy!

We spent a couple of hours altogether in the pools/jacuzzi/steam room before going for lunch at our allocated time. The lunch was really nice! About 6 things to select from for the starters and mains. Both of our meals were yummy. Drinks need to be paid for though.

Our treatments were excellent, the girl who did mine was very friendly but professional and very relaxing! All 3 treatments were done in a row by the same person in the same room so not at all disruptive! Some other reviewers have said their treatments were very short but ours were near enough 30 mins for each!

After our treatments it was late afternoon so we got changed and went home.

I have to say we really enjoyed our day and had a great time, but before I went was a bit apprehensive having read these reviews on here!! As long as you read your confirmation and bring everything it says e.g. robes you won't have any nasty suprises!!

Visited April 2013
“Ladies day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

I found the spa to be of good value,

There was good choicw of what to do, there was a steam room, sauna, aromatherapy room ( scented room with glowing thing) mineral pool, 20m pool and gym etc. My mum in law booked a couple of us in for a nice day out and it was brilliant.

The food was lovely, cooked very well and perfect portion size.

The staff were all very friendly and helpful, they wete informative about the massage we recieved.

All in all a good day had by all of us, will be rwturning very soon hopefully

Colchester, United Kingdom
“Ok if You like a cold jacuzzi and don't need to speak to the manager as she only responds to emails!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Today was my birthday treat to clarice house spa in Colchester with a group of girlfriends we had paid for a bliss day itch one treatment and one course lunch. When we went to the spa the water was so cold in the pool and both the jacuzzis we gave up and retired to the sofas which is where we stayed the spa was just too cold to use.when I spoke to the girl who was the acting manager she said it was because they have to flush cold water through the spa when they have treated it with chemicals!! So was my bad luck for choosing today as my bday treat!! Here's an idea Clarice house why not do it at night when there are less customers !

After a mediocre lunch and the most appallingly low grade facial ( lasting 20 mins not the 30 advertised) I decided to complain so another conversation with the acting manager she informed me that I could have free spa passes!! Anything else I would need to email and she handed me an email address which I can only imagine the poor girl does on a regular basis !! So I then demanded to see the manager to be told she doesn't see anybody only will respond to emails!! Fantastic !!so again I demanded to see her the poor acting manager scurried away as she realised I was going nowhere 15 minutes later I sat and waited and then waited some more out come the poor terrified acting manager again to say I didn't need to pay for the wine we had at lunch still no manager!! Presumably she was far to busy responding to the millions of complaint emails Clarice house must receive every day!! How well mannered and polite what a fabulous birthday treat I had!! Shame on you Clarice house and your appalling customer service !! I will never come again based on my experience today I doubt you care!!!

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Not the best - save your money”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My boyfriend bought the lovers pamper day for us and we went on my birthday. It cost £200 via spaseekers and contained a back massage each, facial each, a manicure/pedicure for me and a head massage for him plus lunch etc. I would honestly say save your money or go somewhere where you will get more value for your money.

Just be aware, unless you pay £20 each on the day for a robe and slippers, you don't get them as part of your package. I have never been to a spa where I haven't been given them and I was not impressed, especially when we were told that unless we bought and wore our robe, when it came to lunch we would have to get completely dressed as they would not allow us to wear our towels in the conservatory.

On arrival the staff seemed a bit disorganised, we had to sit in a waiting room before being taken through to the breakfast area for our welcome meeting. We were seated and asked if we wanted a tea/coffee. The waiter immediately asked us how we were going to pay for that! We were under the impression the drink was part of the meeting, so just be wary of this. We had to pick our lunch - there was only a few things to choose from and if you wanted the steak there was a supplement to pay. We chose the burger. With the majority of these deals you only get one item of lunch. If we wanted a starter or dessert then we had to pay for this ourselves and it is quite expensive. Our tour of the spa consisted of being shown the doorway to the lunch area and told to be there 5 minutes before our time (you are allocated a time for lunch, ours was 1.30), shown the reception and told to be there 5 minutes before our treatment times, then finally walked through and shown the swimming pool through a window. Not exactly the most welcoming and I generally did not feel comfortable in the spa at all. It is an old building and all you can hear is people walking around upstairs. Also, this spa is a 'health club' so you have members also using the facilities - however spa people are not allowed to use the gym. Around 12pm the fitness instructor conducts aquarobics in the pool and it is really loud. No chance of relaxing if you happen to be in there at that time.

The massage was followed immediately by the facial. Our treatment room was freezing and I was shivering through both treatments. Not good to have such a cold room when your half naked and having cold creams and such put on! The pool area however is nice and warm but the pool was quite chilly. The aromatherapy room was nice and relaxing, the steam room wonderful and the sauna was so hot - just be careful of your feet walking across the tiles. Another gripe about the 'beds' around the pool - there are no cushions on these, just wooden slatted recliners. Almost impossible to get comfortable and leaves nice welts on your back/legs even though the towels.

There was an issue with the boyfriends massage, the staff kept telling him he was booked in for a pedicure!! We eventually got this sorted and he had his massage but the treatment times are not as advertised. If you are told half hour it is more like 20 minutes!

Lunch was really small - not that tasty either and it was so cold in the conservatory. Waitresses not that interested, however I had the brownie for desset and it was delicious, would recommend this for sure.

Overall, this spa is not cheap and is quite a rip off considering how much you pay for the experience and you don't actually get much for your money. The day was rushed, I didn't feel comfortable, the staff had no real interest in you and I wish we had gone somewhere else.

Visited March 2013