“What a brill day out!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 32 Attractions in Colchester
More attraction details
Owner description: Colchester Zoo is constantly developing and has won many awards for its work. With over 270 species to see, set in 60 acres of beautiful parkland and lakes, Colchester Zoo is well worth a visit. As you walk around the zoo there's plenty of play areas to try out including the brand new indoor soft play area Jungle Tumble with a section for under 3s and all new play equipment where the kids can release their wild side! New enclosures for 2014 include 'Bears of the Rising Sun', a state of the art enclosure which houses two beautiful sun bears , Jo Jo and Srey Ya and 'Australian Rainbows', a new tropical walkthrough which houses a large group of lorikeets offering visitors a chance to feed them a treat of nectar. You can also come face to face with Komodo Dragons, see white rhino, giraffes, ostrich and kudu roaming together at Kingdom of the Wild and walk underwater through the 24m tunnel at the Playa Patagonia sealion pool. Learn more about the animals and see them up close by watching one of the 50 daily displays. You even get the fantastic opportunity to feed the elephants and giraffes yourself and take a ride on the 'Lost Madagascar Express' road train! Don't forget to pop into the discovery centre and have a go at handling some unusual bugs or get your face painted and transform yourself into your favourite animal!
Hertfordshire
“What a brill day out!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Loved every minute of this trip out, as did the family, friendly staff and well looked after animals. Loved how it was a little cheaper because it is winter. well worth a visit.

Visited February 2013

London, United Kingdom
4 attraction reviews
“Amazing day out for the kids!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I took my 4 year old son during half term and I have to say it was a brilliant day out. The zoo is really impressive as they have so many different species of animals. There is also a train ride, play grounds and even an opportunity for everyone to feed the giraffes and elephants. My son loved seeing all the different monkeys, the penguins, the lions and tigers, and I know his absolute favorite part was feeding a giraffe. They have plaques next to each animal with information about its origin, what they eat, how long they live and whether or not they are endangered. I found that to be informative and makes it so you can learn something while your there.

The zoo is massive and there is a lot to see. I think that the entrance fee is a fair price considering what they offer. We actually booked online and saved 15% so for our family of three it only cost us 40£. The food wasn't to good but it wasn't too over priced either. All in all I would give it 5 stars!!

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
19 attraction reviews
“Brilliant Zoo”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our family are season ticket holders for the zoo and it really is excellent value for money. Things are always changing here with new enclosures or attractions being built.The staff are so helpful, and the late night opening events are well worth going too. We will be renewing our season tickets this year.

Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Colchester Zoo, Ron and i”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was so excited at the prospect of going to ‘Colchester Zoo’ with Ron that I didn’t get a wink of sleep. I was up and down the stairs all night with a dicky tummy and Ron was shuffling around what seemed like an age looking for the Rennie’s.
Fortunately we did manage to get to sleep at around 05.30am but then had to get up at 06.30 as Ron likes a cup of tea and a boiled egg.
Once we set sail on the A13 fully loaded with half a tank of petrol and a semi frozen 'Cheese & Onion' slice we just knew that we were in for a special day.
It wasn’t long before we made our first scheduled stop at a fast food chain I would care not to mention. I warned Ron that if he ate 3 egg McMuffins he would regret it, mark my words! I was the one who ended up regretting it as I had my head out of the window for the rest of the journey whilst Ron undid his belt buckle and hummed away to the Bob Eberley band.

When we finally arrived at the Zoo car park, we couldn’t believe what a wonderful size it was and how it catered for vehicles all shapes and sizes..
One of Sue’s tips is * “Remember what row you park in and count the bins!! (We were in row 21, Bin #4).

The Zoo is beautifully presented and has every animal you could wish to see.. from Tigers and Lions to Gibbons and Anteaters, it has everything!

My personal favourite was the ‘Hornbill’ – a big p*ssed off looking bird with far too much excess beak.
Ron started playing up, pretending to be a Hornbill eating his lunch , getting ‘thousand island dressing’ all down his new sweater.. I could have throttled him. Luckily his romantic insight into the life of a hornbill won me round.
He said “Some species of hornbills in Africa have a mutualistic relationship with Dwarf Mongooses where they forage for food together”.

As the sky began to bruise we decided it was time to find the car. Ron was struggling with his ankle which he sprained taking the dog’s for a walk. Plus we had to get back to defrost the leg of Beef we had planned for the following day.

Also, please be aware that Colchester Zoo does not promote ‘smoking’. Ron got caught out on no less than four occasions by the same Zoo keeper!

Visited February 2013
UK
8 attraction reviews
“Brilliant day out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

Took my three year old lad for a day out and had a great time.

The zoo itself has changed so much over the years and there is always something new to look at or learn.

Chatting to the staff is superb-nice to actually learn a bit more about some of the animals then simply blasting round and ticking off each one.

Had lunch in the main restaurant - decent enough canteen food and 4 quid for a children's meal is good value. Drinks and snacks around the zoo are not stupidly overpriced.

Loads of playgrounds for the little ones to play on, good clean toilet and rest facilities, only gripe was a massive queue to get an annual pass but not the end of the world.

Recommended 100%